Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default When do you think that the current restrictions will start to relax?

I live in Ohio and our current stay-at-home order extends through May 1st. I previously thought it would be extended through May but now I am starting to think they will slowly loosen restrictions starting May 15thish. Our state is sucessfully "flattening the curve" and I believe economic and political pressure may force things open sooner than we expect. I don't expect society to fly open at that point but I think they will try to get more people back to work.
    Anyone have any thoughts? I'm sure this will vary state to state.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In CA the prediction was that we'd peak around April 15. However, our county is already starting to slow down. I really don't know at this point! I was just thinking how exultant it would be to take back a piece of regular life. And at the same time, I don't know how I will ever feel comfortable shaking someone's hand again! I'm really curious to see what experts recommend! Will we have some return to normalcy--coupled with public glove and face mask wearing?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are thinking the peak is first of May here Im hoping early mid May. I have a teen that is going to explode soon I cant keep him confined for 6 more weeks
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve seen at least one “return to normalcy” suggested plan from AEI.org, which is a conservative group, that proposes a full return cannot happen until 85% of the community has been exposed and/or a vaccine program is in place (if I recall that correctly). From that lens I think we have a long time to go until in-person school returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

But unless the virus is completely out of the community, or there is substantial heard immunity, what’s to stop the numbers from climbing quickly again when the restrictions are lightened? Isn't that what happened in Hong Kong? The numbers of infected started to decrease so they took off some of the restrictions and the numbers climbed again.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think there is only a finite amount of time the public is going to cooperate with the quarantine stuff unless the government really gets heavy handed which I really don't see happening. (I mean I think quarantining until May is eh but reasonable....August- NOPE. ) Even though we have a state stay at home order, they aren't really enforcing it and it's pretty generous, so the golf course attached to our subdivision is busy as ever, annoying neighbors keep having playdates in their driveways, etc. I really don't think the US can really "hold the line" through the whole summer too, especially with the impact it would have on the economy.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    But unless the virus is completely out of the community, or there is substantial heard immunity, what’s to stop the numbers from climbing quickly again when the restrictions are lightened? Isn't that what happened in Hong Kong? The numbers of infected started to decrease so they took off some or the restrictions and the numbers claimed again.
    That’s my concern as well. Until an antibody test is readily available, I can’t imagine how anyone would feel comfortable going into crowded places or public places without a mask and gloves. I can see those who have recovered being able to live life “normally” again, but the rest of us, I think will live in fear until there’s a vaccine or treatment. Young people are dying. It’s not just old people, so I’m a bit freaked out.

Our state has restrictions through April 30. We aren’t supposed to peak until April 26.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    In CA the prediction was that we'd peak around April 15. However, our county is already starting to slow down. I really don't know at this point! I was just thinking how exultant it would be to take back a piece of regular life. And at the same time, I don't know how I will ever feel comfortable shaking someone's hand again! I'm really curious to see what experts recommend! Will we have some return to normalcy--coupled with public glove and face mask wearing?
    Today the governor said that since we are stretching out our curve we won’t hit our peak until mid May. I have a feeling we are going to be under tight restrictions until at least mid June. He’s already said schools can’t reopen this year and our schools go to mid June.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Today the governor said that since we are stretching out our curve we won’t hit our peak until mid May. I have a feeling we are going to be under tight restrictions until at least mid June. He’s already said schools can’t reopen this year and our schools go to mid June.
    Oh I missed that! I thought the thinking was that it would still hit at the same time...but there are signs that it has already slowed...

I am ok with this going for even several months more, but that's because my houseful of mostly introverts is doing well and DH and I are still (fingers crossed) fully employed. I worry a little about my high schooler in his advanced classes but he seems to be making it work remotely so far.

I keep thinking if we just got way more rapid testing going, had public mask wearing, and limited things like travel, rather than shutting them down entirely, maybe we could make it until the vaccine?

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh I missed that! I thought the thinking was that it would still hit at the same time...but there are signs that it has already slowed...

I am ok with this going for even several months more, but that's because my houseful of mostly introverts is doing well and DH and I are still (fingers crossed) fully employed. I worry a little about my high schooler in his advanced classes but he seems to be making it work remotely so far.

I keep thinking if we just got way more rapid testing going, had public mask wearing, and limited things like travel, rather than shutting them down entirely, maybe we could make it until the vaccine?
    The downside to flattening the curve is it stretches it out longer. It’s good in that it won’t overwhelm the health care system, but it means we need to follow the safer at home rules longer. Both my husband and I are teachers, so we are working from home. We are all introverts so we are okay with staying home, but I know we are in the minority on that!! There is going to come a point where people aren’t going to comply any longer and I’m not sure what will happen then.

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast