Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

I live in one of hardest hit area; NJ with peaking now. The governor announced all state parks, forests and county parks are to be closed effective tonight. On top of our other restrictions. I don’t see us returning for rest of school year, due to our largest numbers of confirmed cases and rising daily. Might loosen up some restrictions by mid July or August, but don’t see fully open like before for long time. I also won’t expect to see air travel to resume for long time, concerts, stadiums, and large sporting events to happen either. I know at least I won’t be comfortable hanging in large public venues until we have our vaccine, herd immunity or antibody treatment. This really has scarred the beejus out of me, as know several people dead from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default When do you think that the current restrictions will start to relax?

I just heard that all parts of the country will not peak at the same time, which makes sense. I’m in the Midwest and we certainly aren’t peaking anytime soon like some other places are. I’ve no idea what that means in terms of opening up businesses etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Myira; 04-07-2020 at 11:25 PM.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    The downside to flattening the curve is it stretches it out longer. It’s good in that it won’t overwhelm the health care system, but it means we need to follow the safer at home rules longer. Both my husband and I are teachers, so we are working from home. We are all introverts so we are okay with staying home, but I know we are in the minority on that!! There is going to come a point where people aren’t going to comply any longer and I’m not sure what will happen then.
    What will happen is unless a lot of people have built up antibodies to the virus, the number of people exposed to the virus and needing intensive medical care will increase again. And the state will have to clamp down harder on social freedoms. Again.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    But unless the virus is completely out of the community, or there is substantial heard immunity, what’s to stop the numbers from climbing quickly again when the restrictions are lightened? Isn't that what happened in Hong Kong? The numbers of infected started to decrease so they took off some of the restrictions and the numbers climbed again.
    Yep, China is already experiencing a second wave in some parts and areas that were opened back up were again closed. People quickly started overcrowding all the tourist sites immediately! They are also still expecting a possible third wave in the fall.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Unless we have an effective antibody test that can confirm that people that have recovered have immunity, we are going to be in this bind. Even if this lockdown is lifted or less stringent, we still have speculations that the virus may make a comeback in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I think there is only a finite amount of time the public is going to cooperate with the quarantine stuff unless the government really gets heavy handed which I really don't see happening. (I mean I think quarantining until May is eh but reasonable....August- NOPE. ) Even though we have a state stay at home order, they aren't really enforcing it and it's pretty generous, so the golf course attached to our subdivision is busy as ever, annoying neighbors keep having playdates in their driveways, etc. I really don't think the US can really "hold the line" through the whole summer too, especially with the impact it would have on the economy.
    Golf courses and such wouldn't fly here! We are under a stay at home order until April 30 and police have been citing (and arresting) people who are clearly just out to have fun. Public parks have playgrounds closed and when we take walks around our neighborhood, I rarely see anyone out, unless they are on their porch or cutting grass. My family is also doing pretty well with being at home. DH wants to work from home full time now, lol. My 7th grader is getting antsy, she is the more social one and she misses her friends and activities. My 5th grader would be content doing school from home long term I think! I'm fine being home, I just worry about getting groceries, especially fresh produce. And soon my 13 yr. old will need summer clothes, which I can order online, but she is picky about fit, so then I will have stuff that needs to be returned and all the clothing stores are closed currently and I think even Target has stopped accepting returns for the time being.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I live in one of hardest hit area; NJ with peaking now. The governor announced all state parks, forests and county parks are to be closed effective tonight. On top of our other restrictions. I don’t see us returning for rest of school year, due to our largest numbers of confirmed cases and rising daily. Might loosen up some restrictions by mid July or August, but don’t see fully open like before for long time. I also won’t expect to see air travel to resume for long time, concerts, stadiums, and large sporting events to happen either. I know at least I won’t be comfortable hanging in large public venues until we have our vaccine, herd immunity or antibody treatment. This really has scarred the beejus out of me, as know several people dead from this.

I can't believe New Jersey which is the worst hot spot hasn't closed all of those places until now! Here in Illinois and CA all parks etc have been closed, in Canada they are being so strict, why is NJ so behind????

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Golf courses and such wouldn't fly here! We are under a stay at home order until April 30 and police have been citing (and arresting) people who are clearly just out to have fun. Public parks have playgrounds closed and when we take walks around our neighborhood, I rarely see anyone out, unless they are on their porch or cutting grass. My family is also doing pretty well with being at home. DH wants to work from home full time now, lol. My 7th grader is getting antsy, she is the more social one and she misses her friends and activities. My 5th grader would be content doing school from home long term I think! I'm fine being home, I just worry about getting groceries, especially fresh produce. And soon my 13 yr. old will need summer clothes, which I can order online, but she is picky about fit, so then I will have stuff that needs to be returned and all the clothing stores are closed currently and I think even Target has stopped accepting returns for the time being.
    This is literally from our governor's website:

"HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF THINGS YOU CAN DO UNDER THIS ORDER:
    ... [examples like grocery shopping]
    -Take a walk, ride your bike, hike, fish, hunt, golf and be in nature for exercise – just keep six feet of distance between you and other"

Some of our state parks have closed because they were too busy/crowded. I am hoping to take the kids to a park off the beaten path tomorrow for some hiking and to play in the creek there. I am afraid they will eventually close (but maybe not, he was super reluctant to issue a stay at home order at all...) so gotta get our "outings" in while I can. Walking through our subdivision drives me nuts with all the playdates and it always leaves my kids crying and upset I won't let them go play with friends, so it's MUCH easier to go somewhere that's mostly empty to hike.
    The golfing thing is super annoying though.

My 4yo and I are having the hardest time. My almost 9yo and 7yo would be content to be vampires and mostly never leave. My 4yo is a nonstop busybody so this is killing him and killing me to be trapped home with him because usually the best strategy for dealing with him has been to keep him busy- preschool, soccer classes, swimming, etc. He still wakes up every day asking "what are we going to do today, Mama?!" and then before I can answer will make a suggestion, "oh, I know! Let's go to the zoo." I am not that bad but I (would be out of my mind if I never ever left the house. I think I would try to get a job at McDonalds working weekends or something (literally anything to have an excuse to leave) before I would make it staying home until August.
    Last edited by AngB; 04-08-2020 at 12:39 AM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post

Wow...the state parks are just closing now?! It seems like a lot of those have been closed in California for almost 3 weeks now, our local park playgrounds, beaches, trails and corresponding parking lots have been closed since 3/23.

I think we are doing things right in California, but I also think that California will most likely be the last to remove restrictions....I even think New York will remove restrictions before California and New York has way more deaths than California, but imho that is California being California.

In an ideal world I would like this all over by early August when my kids start school in our new area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-08-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Wow...the state parks are just closing now?! It seems like a lot of those have been closed in California for almost 3 weeks now, our local park playgrounds, beaches, trails and corresponding parking lots have been closed since 3/23.

I think we are doing things right in California, but I also think that California will most likely be the last to remove restrictions....I even think New York will remove restrictions before California and New York has way more deaths than California, but imho that is California being California.

In an ideal world I would like this all over by early August when my kids start school in our new area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All local playgrounds and beaches, boardwalks were closed weeks ago, along with everywhere else. State parks were often also our Reservoirs too, and thought we wouldn’t venture there. Which we didn’t, but with weather warming now, and the local closures is just diverting us to the open state parks. It’s also the state spring break, and think they were afraid it’ll get overrun.

It should have been closed along with many other closures weeks ago.

Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast