Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    The downside to flattening the curve is it stretches it out longer. It’s good in that it won’t overwhelm the health care system, but it means we need to follow the safer at home rules longer. Both my husband and I are teachers, so we are working from home. We are all introverts so we are okay with staying home, but I know we are in the minority on that!! There is going to come a point where people aren’t going to comply any longer and I’m not sure what will happen then.
    The models from last week were showing nationwide deaths not slowing down till end of June/early July so I figured things wouldn't start opening up until after then at the very earliest. And if states successfully flatten the curve like CA is doing then those models would be stretched out even further into the summer. I'm proud of how CA is doing. So far it's looking like we may not even end up maxing out the hospital systems here and CA just donated thousands of ventilators to NY, NJ, and IL since our peak is expected much later now. Still, in LA our cases are rising and the mayor has asked citizens to not even leave the house at all this week, even to get groceries, if at all possible. He also ordered all essential workers to wear masks when working (none of the employees at TJ's had masks on last week when I went grocery shopping) and will allow businesses to deny customers who are not wearing masks.
    https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a...irus-response/

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There are so many rural or semi-rural areas that have barely been touched, but it’s going to get there. It’s hard to predict. If they release orders late May and the areas that didn’t get hard think they dodged or bullet, or that it was exaggerated, could be the next flair point. Despite hopes, warmer Weather does not seem to slow the spreads as much as it does with flu. (See Ecuador’s experience.)
    I’m hopeful I can make it to the beach house I rented mid August.

Then there is the flood of patients afterwards. The medically complex that weren’t coming in. The cancer patients that were delayed. All the “elective” procedures we cancelled. (if a woman had breast cancer we could only do a mastectomy on the effected breast, not prophylactically remove the other. No reconstruction.) Plus there will be many people who do recover with long term complications.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

NY State parks aren't closed, and neither are golf courses.

The upside of flattening the curve...and the reason for doing so...is to keep hospitals and hospital supplies from becoming overwhelmed unable to give proper care. The downside is that it extends the length of time the virus circulates in the community and therefore lengthens the time that people will continue to become ill. Our government will have to decide if they wait for herd immunity and a vaccine OR be okay with continued illness and exposure, knowing some people will still die from it, but that our medical community will be better positioned to respond to the ill OR open things back up with the expectation people social distance and wear masks...and I have a hard time seeing the US culture doing that consistently for months on end. I know that Asian countries are used to doing so, but it'll just be a huge leap to have 100% of the population wearing masks in public and at schools 24-7.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I hope soon - living like this isn't sustainable and you will start to see more instances of violence and suicides. People are acting beyond insane over fear of this - there was an article about how an elderly woman (86) was attacked by another ER patient for not maintaining social distancing, fell, hit her head, and died.

People are losing all kinds of common sense and creating hostile environments and judgements. I am concerned about escalations if this continues - not to mention the financial devastation for many small businesses and low/marginal income families.

I'm finding it difficult now and have a good size yard and neighborhood to get outside and walk with close access to greenway that's not overly crowded. I can't imagine being cooped up in a small apartment for this long. Add in kids and work stress - it is a boiler situation.

Our order is set for 4/30 and it can't come soon enough. If it is extended, I'm going to lose it. Something has to give. There's got to be a sensible place with healthy precautions so people can begin to function normally again.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    . Our government will have to decide if they wait for herd immunity and a vaccine OR be okay with continued illness and exposure, knowing some people will still die from it, but that our medical community will be better positioned to respond to the ill OR open things back up with the expectation people social distance and wear masks...and I have a hard time seeing the US culture doing that consistently for months on end. I know that Asian countries are used to doing so, but it'll just be a huge leap to have 100% of the population wearing masks in public and at schools 24-7.
    I see some combination of the 2 happening. Someone here posted a prediction that the herd immunity needs to be at about 85% to start opening things up again and not overburden hospitals with the sick (which will be a result of opening things up). BUT, if society’s herd immunity is at 40% or 50% approximately, those people who are recovered are going to want to work (or at a minimum begin to get back to normal) and in theory, safely CAN work. This of course is dependent on being able to determine whether or not they are no longer infectious.

Maybe if some people are back working and the rest of society agrees to wear masks and even gloves, some basic restrictions can remain in place (like no large gathering of people and some schools are still closed) but others can be lifted. Maybe our society can slowly start to move again while the rest of us wait for a vaccine or to get infected. I would think if the choice is stay home or get out with masks and gloves, people would be more accepting. OR, if enough societal pressure is put on everyone to wear masks in public and enough role models and Hollywood icons and high-profile figures promoted it, it could become a culturally-accepted norm. Idk, just spit-balling here.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-08-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm also in OH and I suspect at least getting extended another two weeks after our May 1 date comes along. We're doing well, but DeWine mentioned not to be surprised if we don't go longer. DH and I were just talking that there probably won't be summer sports. Baseball was supposed to start late April, soccer is pretty much done for, and swim starts late May. I really doubt we'll even have swim and even if we do, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean, there are 100+ kids coming and going from practices every day. I just don't see that part being allowed yet. We just got word that all in-person 4H activities are cancelled through July 6 and no camps through Aug 31. I don't see many summer activities being allowed, but hopefully people will be allowed to go back to work (though I don't really want DH traveling, and feel better with him working at home).

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default When do you think that the current restrictions will start to relax?

I have a friend in HK and they expect to have social distancing in place for a while. They have much more strict rules and enforcement so I can’t imagine where that leaves the US with its larger population and lack of enforcement and planning. It’s going to be a while I think so I’d mentally prepare for a few more months of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default When do you think that the current restrictions will start to relax?

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    I hope soon - living like this isn't sustainable and you will start to see more instances of violence and suicides. People are acting beyond insane over fear of this - there was an article about how an elderly woman (86) was attacked by another ER patient for not maintaining social distancing, fell, hit her head, and died.

People are losing all kinds of common sense and creating hostile environments and judgements. I am concerned about escalations if this continues - not to mention the financial devastation for many small businesses and low/marginal income families.

I'm finding it difficult now and have a good size yard and neighborhood to get outside and walk with close access to greenway that's not overly crowded. I can't imagine being cooped up in a small apartment for this long. Add in kids and work stress - it is a boiler situation.

Our order is set for 4/30 and it can't come soon enough. If it is extended, I'm going to lose it. Something has to give. There's got to be a sensible place with healthy precautions so people can begin to function normally again.
    I really agree with this (despite living in California where I do think they are handling this okay and imho I think things are easier in much of the state because we don’t live in a crowded urban center and most don’t rely on public transportation....I knew many people in LA who paid more for single uber rides than they would’ve for a monthly transit pass because they didn’t want to ride mass transit). My DH just read an article to me about two people getting in a fight and getting arrested over TP in the San Fernando Valley. Now granted I have wanted to pick up another 12-18 pack of TP for the last few weeks as a just in case measure (we had about 30 rolls yesterday), but now I feel much better with almost 50 rolls since I finally got some yesterday, but people shouldn’t be fighting and getting arrested over TP.

I am not sure how denying people into stores without masks is going to go over well either because someone is bound to get violent about it and I don’t think that will be good for anyone. People are definitely going to be more on edge if this goes on longer than honestly necessary. I already hate that my food delivery from Hello Fresh for last week was suppose to be here on Saturday 4/4 and is it now listed as not deliverable by Fed Ex and maybe might get here tomorrow (it was supposed to be delivered today). Thankfully I got a Marley Spoon free box that should be delivered tomorrow, but I hope the next Hello Fresh box gets here on Saturday as planned, but if not it means another trip to the store for me that I wasn’t planning on (and no I am not trying grocery delivery....that just seems like mass chaos here....downside of living in a large suburb in a county of 10,000,000 people).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-08-2020 at 11:45 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    That’s my concern as well. Until an antibody test is readily available, I can’t imagine how anyone would feel comfortable going into crowded places or public places without a mask and gloves. I can see those who have recovered being able to live life “normally” again, but the rest of us, I think will live in fear until there’s a vaccine or treatment. Young people are dying. It’s not just old people, so I’m a bit freaked out.

Our state has restrictions through April 30. We aren’t supposed to peak until April 26.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Young people are getting the virus, some are being hospitalized but almost none are dying. Deaths are pretty evenly distributed by age across continents— 80 percent over 65 or 70, less than 5 percent under 40, and far less than 1 percent under 20. The younger people who die almost always have co-morbidities. Having these statistics really helps with planning for an opening— we know who has to continue to quarantine and we have to think about further protection.

The good news is that several antibody tests have received or are close to receiving fda approval. As we know, it will take some time to roll out, but probably weeks, not months.

I can see a world with no international travel or large gathering for months, but “opening”for the low risk with continued social distancing and perhaps masks.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 is a senior with plans to head off to college in the fall. I can only hope that pans out!! I’ve been hearing rumblings about contingency plans if colleges don’t open!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast