Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    No, they aren't jabbing at the essential workers being out and about, they are just basically blissfully ignoring their contributions. They are jabbing "their bubble" while seeming to believe their contact-less Whole Foods delivery onto their front-step happens via magic fairies.

I guess y'all might not have these folks on your Facebook Groups (ie, they are "neighborhood Facebook group friends, not friends-friends). But, in my little neck of the woods, we have more than a few, and they are posting all the darn time about how they seem to think they are the only ones doing quarantine right.
    What you and Carolinacool are describing would drive me nuts. I used to have people in my Facebook groups like that until I stopped with Facebook. I just cannot deal with that level of stoopid.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say the attack was probably from person with mental illness (it’s a short limb low to the ground) and that it got picked up by local media as “OMG, look at us in this lock down! It must end, the world is falling apart.”) the incident you just described would be any Tuesday in a ED. Welcome to what all us healthcare providers know. The center wasn’t holding before this. No idea - wasn't presented in this context at all just a matter of fact overview

The financial devastation was already there for so many people, there were all dancing as fast as they could. It’s just the music stopped all at the same time this time, instead at different times for different families.

Do you know someone that has died from Covid 19 yet? Do you know 3 people? (5 people if you are non-white) once you get to the 3 (5) number you can assume you have finally hit peak in your area. That’s the reality of Pandemic.

Normal is gone. We were living a charmed life. There's about 350 cases in our county of 1,000,000 I don't know of anyone with COVID 19 and no one has died. Apparently there's only 8 hospitalized
    Each area is quite unique and different so I would suspect the impact is much different from place to place.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have those people on Nextdoor and they are infuriating. There has to be a happy medium between those who are hosting street party playdates with all the neighbors and those who are smugly saying STAY INSIDE its not that hard I've been inside for X days.

I hope we can safely be done sooner than later. I'm one in a tiny house with no land/yard. DH suffers from depression and rarely gets out of bed before 3 anymore. We have 3 people who are trying to share too small a space and having to do work/school. DD2 NEEDS to be able to be outside. At the same time, she cant play with the neighbors who dont respect the 6ft rule. She has 1 friend whom she plays 'with' biking and rollerblading. 6ft away.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am frustrated that we do not have a team of scientists and health professionals who have a plan and are executing it nationally, or at least recommending best practices to our states. This feels unprecedented but it really is not. My dad was telling me about how he had the 1957 flu while in college and how they isolated them in a gym for treatment.

If anyone knows of a good website where health professionals and scientists/epidemiologists are laying out the options for what happens after we "flatten the curve", please post!

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    I am frustrated that we do not have a team of scientists and health professionals who have a plan and are executing it nationally, or at least recommending best practices to our states. This feels unprecedented but it really is not. My dad was telling me about how he had the 1957 flu while in college and how they isolated them in a gym for treatment.

If anyone knows of a good website where health professionals and scientists/epidemiologists are laying out the options for what happens after we "flatten the curve", please post!
    Bill Gates has laid out some ideas as has the think tank AEI. Andy Slavitt is another. These are all people on the policy side though, not doctors, but that’s where the measures will come from.

As we learn more about the virus, I think plans change. Antibody tests seem to be increasing more and more in importance based on the discovery that many people are asymptomatic or have very mild cases. Herd immunity might come before a vaccine.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Bill Gates has laid out some ideas as has the think tank AEI. Andy Slavitt is another. These are all people on the policy side though, not doctors, but that’s where the measures will come from.

As we learn more about the virus, I think plans change. Antibody tests seem to be increasing more and more in importance based on the discovery that many people are asymptomatic or have very mild cases. Herd immunity might come before a vaccine.
    I agree with this. I saw something about a study in Iceland where they figured 50% of people who are infected are asymptomatic??
    My nextdoor neighbor was hospitalized in late Feb for pneumonia and it was not the flu. They still don’t know what caused it. He is 40 and in good physical health. Could he have had it? May have already gone through our community? I think an antibody rest would help answer these questions.

I also think while China and Hong Kong have gone on lockdown for months, the culture and mentality of the US is different. I don’t feel like people will tolerate it (right or wrong) especially if the economy keeps getting worse and case numbers flatten or decline

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    So true. And to some points raised above, home is not a happy, relaxing place for everyone. Not everyone has a big backyard or a pool or a basement full of games. Or even space where you be alone for five minutes. That's why I honestly don't care if people go to Home Depot and buy plants or flowers or cans of paint. As long as they maintain the recommended physical distancing. Some people are just trying to get through the day. My mental state is normally pretty OK, but there days when I'm frayed and near tears.
    I'm sorry and completely understand. I am not someone who is secretly loving this and afraid to admit it. I've shed a lot of tears, too, and there is so much worry and suffering around me that while I can find a nugget of good here or there, it is most definitely a struggle. I'm worried about my mom who lives alone and is really struggling with the loneliness and then I feel bad because I am struggling with the constant noise. There have been complaints about a "packed" Home Depot on my neighborhood page (and about kids on bikes in the street and about runners which is me, etc) and I do not get it. A lot of people cope with stress by outdoor exercise and home projects or they were in the middle of home projects when this thing we had nothing to worry about shut down our world. That can be done with the same social distance measures another person (or their shopper) takes when purchasing bottles of wine with their essential groceries. Neither wrong, but some people really need busy and movement and changes to cope. I'm buying paint blindly from a paint store with curb pick up so I can have a project to get nervous energy out.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post

Also, the longer this goes on, even white-collar jobs that seem safe now will start to be in danger.
    I think the same thing. So many industries are built on the backs of others. When this started, my mother commented on how lucky it was that my BIL could work from home. He did 100% before this. He is now reduced to part-time hours and probably going to be without a job soon because his job relies on his clients' clients who are all closed.

JamiMac is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    I hope soon - living like this isn't sustainable and you will start to see more instances of violence and suicides. People are acting beyond insane over fear of this - there was an article about how an elderly woman (86) was attacked by another ER patient for not maintaining social distancing, fell, hit her head, and died.

People are losing all kinds of common sense and creating hostile environments and judgements. I am concerned about escalations if this continues - not to mention the financial devastation for many small businesses and low/marginal income families.

I'm finding it difficult now and have a good size yard and neighborhood to get outside and walk with close access to greenway that's not overly crowded. I can't imagine being cooped up in a small apartment for this long. Add in kids and work stress - it is a boiler situation.

Our order is set for 4/30 and it can't come soon enough. If it is extended, I'm going to lose it. Something has to give. There's got to be a sensible place with healthy precautions so people can begin to function normally again.
    I agree with you on all of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

Stanford did a large sample antibody test this weekend. https://www.ksbw.com/article/new-stu...id-19/32073873 Still waiting on results, will be very interesting.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    I read that Bill Gates has paid for construction of new factories to manufacture the 7 best candidates for a vaccine so if one of them is approved, then they will have the vaccine already in production and ready to go, and the other 6 vaccines in production will all be destroyed. Sounds like Bill Gates has really stepped up to be a leader in this.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast