Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What industry/businesses do you think will not recover from shutdowns?

Saw this in a tweet and realized that this could be the death knell for some struggling industries or ones that are on the downward maturity cycle.

One that was put up was movie theaters. That could be one that wouldn't make a come back. Or I think would hasten the exit of any smaller chains that haven't made the jump to more gourmet food/alcohol service.

Any others you think may cease to exist, drastically change the operating model, or even may create opportunities/boom for some?

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

I believe we will see many retailers from different industries (clothing, sporting goods, shutter for good as well as some restaurants. For example, clothing stores that were barely hanging on.

The private school industry will also take a hit. Should our family financial situation change, pulling our kids to public will be our first move to save money.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I believe we will see many retailers from different industries (clothing, sporting goods, shutter for good as well as some restaurants. For example, clothing stores that were barely hanging on.

The private school industry will also take a hit. Should our family financial situation change, pulling our kids to public will be our first move to save money.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I think newspapers. They were already barely hanging on by a string. DH still works in the newsroom of a mid-size daily. As it stands now, everyone has to take a two-week furlough. Senior executives are taking a pay cut. We are hoping that's the extent of it.

Advertising has completely fallien off, off course. Target always has a circular in the Sunday paper. (I flip through it every week.) For now, they have "temporarily paused" a print edition and it's only online. DH has serious doubts they will resume printing it once we get past all of this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ource=facebook
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it's going to be interesting to see what the cruise lines will do now. They have been infamous for a very long time for using foreign flags to pay lesser fees/taxes and not to have to follow U.S. labor laws/crew qualifications. Now - I doubt they'll see any help from our government, nor in my opinion should they. I know this will hurt some tourist destinations, but really curious how it will shake out.

(Full disclosure - both DH and I were crew on U.S. flagged yachts before we got married.)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I think newspapers. They were already barely hanging on by a string. DH still works in the newsroom of a mid-size daily. As it stands now, everyone has to take a two-week furlough. Senior executives are taking a pay cut. We are hoping that's the extent of it.

Advertising has completely fallien off, off course. Target always has a circular in the Sunday paper. (I flip through it every week.) For now, they have "temporarily paused" a print edition and it's only online. DH has serious doubts they will resume printing it once we get past all of this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ource=facebook
    Definitely—or at least major changes in their business model (even more than have already been made recently). On one hand, people may be hungrier for reliable sources of news, especially for local/regional news. On the other hand, more people may be comfortable getting this news online rather than having print copies delivered to their doors.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Restaurants, small and chain in our area. Some announced immediately they were done for good.
    K

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Restaurants, small and chain in our area. Some announced immediately they were done for good.
    Yes to this for my area as well and I live in “the land of excess,” but honestly I see a lot of these restaurants may not be able to open again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Ohh - also forgot, I recall an arts school I think in California that is closing for good unless it is acquired by a larger school due to the further strain on finances.

So I guess there could be some educational fallout as well.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Ohh - also forgot, I recall an arts school I think in California that is closing for good unless it is acquired by a larger school due to the further strain on finances.

So I guess there could be some educational fallout as well.
    If it's the school I'm thinking of (in San Francisco), it already was involved in a big scandal. If it closes, the closure likely is not the result of the virus.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast