Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Partial BP, does this bother you?

This has happened to me a couple times. I totally get that there is a sales strategy associated with it but that doesn't change my reaction.

I'm contacting a company via facebook about getting a quote for a project. Local company, not a franchise, and we need a quote for restoring/repairing or replacing our deck. He said they could come tomorrow at 2...."would that work for both of you?" Now I did mention "we" but to be honest I was referring to my children and at no point did I say, "my husband and I" need a quote or mentioned him in anyway. My husband isn't going to here and why should he have to be?

Am I crazy to be SUPER annoyed by this? I know that they want to give their spiel to beoth parties but I just want to see the number and go on to the next person. Do I have to have my husband present to earn the privilege of a professional quote?!?! It makes me not want to hire the person, period no matter how great the number is.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

TOTALLY bothers me, I've even had contractors say things like "let me know once you get your husband to look at the quote." Really? The ones that have done long-term projects at our house very quickly learn that *I* am the one in charge of final decisions, dammit.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It generally annoys me if people assume that my husband is the one who wants the information, needs to make the decision, is buying the car, etc. but if you used "we" in your request I can see where a reply asking if a time was convenient for both parties made sense. I would hold my judgment in this case until I had met with them.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A few months back we needed to redo our entire HVAC system. When we scheduled the appointment (my DH made it), they requested that the appointment be at a time when all decision makers would be present. We tend to make big decisions like that together, so it didn’t bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    It generally annoys me if people assume that my husband is the one who wants the information, needs to make the decision, is buying the car, etc. but if you used "we" in your request I can see where a reply asking if a time was convenient for both parties made sense. I would hold my judgment in this case until I had met with them.
    ^^Agree. No way they would assume "we" meant kids. I did complain on the last company salesman who did this to me, but it was me, myself, and I dealing with him and he made it very clear he wanted to deal with "both."

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Drives me crazy.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    This has happened to me a couple times. I totally get that there is a sales strategy associated with it but that doesn't change my reaction.

I'm contacting a company via facebook about getting a quote for a project. Local company, not a franchise, and we need a quote for restoring/repairing or replacing our deck. He said they could come tomorrow at 2...."would that work for both of you?" Now I did mention "we" but to be honest I was referring to my children and at no point did I say, "my husband and I" need a quote or mentioned him in anyway. My husband isn't going to here and why should he have to be?

Am I crazy to be SUPER annoyed by this? I know that they want to give their spiel to beoth parties but I just want to see the number and go on to the next person. Do I have to have my husband present to earn the privilege of a professional quote?!?! It makes me not want to hire the person, period no matter how great the number is.
    I’m a SAHM and I handle EVERYTHING at our house. DH works full time + so if we want something done I handle it. I am flabbergasted at how often this happens. If DH’s presence is required, I will move on to the next name on the list. Crazy!!
    Last edited by jgenie; 04-08-2020 at 09:59 PM.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I would have to ask what they meant by that since there is only one of me!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Usually that means they're going to do a hard sell and try to get you to sign a contract on the spot. They need both "decision makers" there in order for that to happen.

I just ignore them. We never sign a contract on the spot.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Usually that means they're going to do a hard sell and try to get you to sign a contract on the spot. They need both "decision makers" there in order for that to happen.

I just ignore them. We never sign a contract on the spot.
    Yep. With people like that I’ll go out of my way to make sure only one of us is available (if I even choose to deal with them at all).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast