Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I never ended up buying the Peloton knock off bike, but I strongly considered it. I ended up buying a regular treadmill, and I use that and the Peloton app pretty regularly. I considered the Peloton treadmill, but a few things kept me from buying it. It was about twice the price of a regular treadmill, and part of what you are paying for is the giant screen. Since I already had a TV mounted to the wall of my basement gym, that seemed superfluous. I also find it really really annoying that the monthly subscription price for Peloton bike/tread owners is higher than the app price. I pay I think $12.99/month, and if I had bought the tread it would have been $39/month. I would have bought the Peloton tread if I could have bought it without the screen, and if I could have paid $13/month instead of $39. I probably would buy a bike if I could get it without a screen and with that cheaper subscription price as well. Either one has the library of classes as well as current stuff that comes out. there is the most content available for the bike, but at this point plenty for the tread as well as bootcamp/strength stuff as well. There is always a 30 day free trial of the app, and I think now because of the pandemic they extended it to 90 day free trial, so definitely try that out.

That said, I do like their programming. I like how there are a variety of workouts available, though I mostly stick to the tread ones with some flexibility/stretching/warm up stuff added in. From what I can tell, the Peloton tread would be better for their style of workout than the treadmill I have (quicker and easier to adjust speed/incline). But not $2k and $26/month better.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

We got our Peloton about 3 weeks ago -- ordered right after the stay at home order. My husband normally does OT and I was going to 3 different types of studio classes. I had recently started spin prior to COVID19 -- which is usually not my thing -- but I was starting to notice the benefits/results. My husband has never really loved spin. But we were pretty desperate to keep up our fitness routine. I was able to snag a March delivery. They put together the bike outside of our home and then just brought it through the threshold of our door with protective gear. We wiped it down with clorox wipes. Luckily we just had to position it in place close by (It has front wheels). We are keeping it in our family room for now. If in the future we wanted to put it in the basement or bedroom, we'd need help moving it.

We are truly loving this thing. It is just so convenient to hop on and get our workout done for the day. The instructors are excellent!!!! Much better than the ones in my local studio. So many different styles/lengths of classes. We are on everyday, sometimes more than 1x/day. On the weekends I'll do a 45 min ride. On weekdays I'll do a quick 15 or 20 min workout before my work begins.

The great thing has been seeing my 14 yo hopping on! She is not very physically active normally (Tae Kwon Do is about it) but she gets on everyday without any prodding. They have scenic rides, with choices from all over the world. She loves to "travel" to different places and she even grabs the hand weights during her rides. Very simple to adjust for different users. She doesn't use the special shoes for the scenic rides.

I say go for it! Let me know if you have any questions.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been using the Peloton App for at least 2 years, nearly 700 rides however I use it w/ a BH Fitness spin bike. As much as I *wanted* the Peloton itself, I couldn't justify the cost and the monthly fee. The app is great and they have added SO much content that isn't on the bike!

If you have the space and the cost isn't an issue, go for it!

The app right now is free for 90 days; download it and try out everything it has to offer. I believe Peloton delivery is now just curbside so it's up to you to get it inside

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks all for the replies!!

while biking obviously isn't my favorite workout, at age 41 and my knees not what they used to be (plus with a pandemic going on), i'm having to make major adjustments to my fitness routine My favorite was always running, but i don't do that much more for many reasons (1) it's rough on the knees, 2) i never lose weight with running!!EVER. 3) it's too hot/muggy 6 months out of the year 4) hard to do it anywhere with social distancing measures in place (all the nice places to run are very crowded with people). I actually like spinning/indoor cycling waaay more than outdoor biking. i only got a bike last year bc my son INSISTED on it (and i'm glad i did, so i could go on bike rides with them, bc that is the only exercise now that they can do). i now ride my bike outside every single day with them, but that's not going to be possible any more soon due to the weather.

i have done CycleBar workouts and enjoyed them but the closest studio was across town (20 minute drive) and i knew that was just not doable for me, which is why i stuck with Pure Barre (which was close to my work).

i did download the 90 day trial on the app and i think i will do that. i really like how they have other fitness classes too (yoga, weights, etc).

I relaly like how they have the calendar on there to show the days you have worked out. I need some sort of accountability!

i did see ads for the MIrror and it looked cool but i think for $1000k it is rather pricey for something i think only i would use. With a Peloton, i think my hubby and I for sure would use it. And i think my son who really loves biking would like it too. i think he would get a kick out of the scenic routes.

thank you pinkmomagain for the info, DH had been really concerned re: deliveries and if someone would have to come into our house to set up. sounds like it's fairly straightforward. also, i read that the thing weighs only 135 lbs, and you can take the monitor off, so it is not that difficult to move. that is a huge plus.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-09-2020 at 09:56 AM.

I have a sunny bike. I think it is the 1805. ( it is always on sale just look around). I use the peloton app and have a wahoo cadence monitor. i LOVE it. It gets used by my 14 y.o. DD. She does the workouts, we have not used the scenic routes yet.

it is definitely keeping me sane during our isolation!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    I have a sunny bike. I think it is the 1805. ( it is always on sale just look around). I use the peloton app and have a wahoo cadence monitor. i LOVE it. It gets used by my 14 y.o. DD. She does the workouts, we have not used the scenic routes yet.
    Same, except I bought a cheaper cadence monitor. I didn't want to spend the money on a Peloton but I do pay for the Peloton app and that's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i have done CycleBar workouts and enjoyed them but the closest studio was across town (20 minute drive) and i knew that was just not doable for me, which is why i stuck with Pure Barre (which was close to my work).
    The Peloton instructors are far better than my CycleBar instructors, in my opinion. I'm dropping CB and my pilates studio in favor of the Peloton. I'll keep my Pure Barre membership because it gives me a completely different workout. Luckily my local PB studio is doing live classes via video so between that and the Peloton, I'm hanging onto some sanity during this quarantine!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Peloton bike and tread and they get used daily. I’m more of a runner so I tend to use the tread a lot more than the bike, but I do switch it up. DH and my teens are the opposite - they tend to use the bike more and will sometimes go on the tread. We’re very happy with both purchases.

We bought the bike used about 6 months ago, I think we paid $1600. At the time there were many listings for used Pelotons but with covid now I’m sure there aren’t many used listings. Our local spin studio is renting out their bikes during quarantine to help people and have some cash coming in, maybe you could contact a spin studio near you to see if they’re interested in renting you a bike. The Peloton app is free for 3 months right now so you could try it out.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our neighbors had one delivered yesterday. No box, just the bike and monitor. The guys lifted it off the truck, strapped it on to one, and brought it inside. Seemed easy.
    K

I was a Cyclebar member for over two years, and did a lot of research on home spin bikes. Loved my Peloton trial class at the Peloton store, but was afraid of the commitment (and higher monthly app cost) since I’ve never had gym equipment at home before - I always needed the accountability of an in-person gym class!

I ended up getting the Schwinn IC4 (also sold as the Bowflex C6) about 5 weeks ago. It has a digital monitor, and allows you to stream the Peloton app from your phone or iPad. So it’s basically a peloton but without the screen. You don’t show up on the leaderboard, but that was not a big issue for me.

I really like it, but need to order spin shoes that work with the petals – the cages are definitely not as good as the spin bikes I’m used to at cyclebar.

I paid just under $700 (with ebates and a coupon from Dick’s), and the app is $13/month. Can’t beat the price! And there is a Facebook group for owners of this bike that has been really helpful in getting started…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast