Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Southwest Air - does anyone have travel funds showing the extended expiration date?

Southwest Air's policy regarding canceled travel is this:

Canceling your Southwest flight

If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight at least 10 minutes before its scheduled departure, the funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket (Wanna Get Away® fares) are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase.

However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:

Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1 – June 30, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
    Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – June 30, 2020, will expire June 30, 2021.

I had to cancel two trips, but I notice that my travel funds still have the same expiration date as before. According to the above policy, all my SWA travel funds should expire June 30, 2021. I'm wondering when the funds will show as expiring in June 2021.

Has anyone's SWA travel funds (for recently canceled trips) shown the new, June 30 2021 expiration date?

Thanks!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Mine don’t show the new expiration date. Ours were for spring break (mud march)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We also cancelled a trip with SW recently. I can't find it now, but at the time they said it would take weeks for it to show up in accounts due to the volume of cancellations. I have confidence in SW, I just think it's going to be some time before the changes appear online.

eta FWIW, my SW travel funds still has the original expiration of 8/2020.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ours has not updated yet.

Thanks all for commenting. I think it will take quite a while before the new expiration shows up. Maybe they will only update it when the funds are actually nearing the original expiration dates.
    Mommy to Two DDs

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So we just got an email saying that our flight for June 10 to Jamaica was canceled (by Southwest) and the email quotes the policy MMMommy shared above, giving us travel funds that expire June 20, 2021. But I thought there were new federal laws about travel that stated if the airline cancels the flight, they have to reimburse your money? Or am I just imagining that?

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    So we just got an email saying that our flight for June 10 to Jamaica was canceled (by Southwest) and the email quotes the policy MMMommy shared above, giving us travel funds that expire June 20, 2021. But I thought there were new federal laws about travel that stated if the airline cancels the flight, they have to reimburse your money? Or am I just imagining that?
    I thought that too, if the airline canceled the flight. Which, in your case, you should be refunded (versus given just airline credit).
    Mommy to Two DDs

Updated policy on cancelled flights:
    https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...0zlptbH1ZRjUrw

My Travel Funds now reflect a expiration date of 9/7/2022 (orig exp 8/2020). If i'm not mistaken, SW is going to give an option to convert those travel funds to RR points? I hope this is true, it would make rebooking in the future a lot easier!

My travel funds now expire 9/22.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast