Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default S/O reusable mask reviews, links, deals

I thought this would be a helpful thread. Still haven’t gotten to try sewing my own and because I have been googling a lot of mask tutorials I’m getting tons of links for reusable masks. If you have tried any, please let us know how the quality and fit is. Some companies are ramping up production so quickly that it seems like there are significant quality issues (based on instagram comments).

I love this. If it turns out masks will need to be a way of life for the next several months, we might have to order some. A friend's wife made us the rectangular, pleated style that loops around the ear. Maybe it's just DH and me and our big heads, but they don't fit us that great.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 04-16-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I thought this would be a helpful thread. Still haven’t gotten to try sewing my own and because I have been googling a lot of mask tutorials I’m getting tons of links for reusable masks. If you have tried any, please let us know how the quality and fit is. Some companies are ramping up production so quickly that it seems like there are significant quality issues (based on instagram comments).
    Thanks, I was going to post the same thing! We have bandanas to make a simple folded mask to use for the time being if we have to go out (have been trying not to), but I just tested it out and found it is bulky and more glasses fog up when I breath. So I’d like to order at least DH and I am new to have for when we need it. Would like it to be washable and have a pocket to put a filter in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Are you all getting masks for your kids too? Mine haven't gone anywhere but I know that can't last forever. My 8 yr old could *probably * be trusted not to touch his face with a mask on, but my 2 yr old-- no way!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Are you all getting masks for your kids too? Mine haven't gone anywhere but I know that can't last forever. My 8 yr old could *probably * be trusted not to touch his face with a mask on, but my 2 yr old-- no way!
    The last time I was at a grocery store (last week), there were quite a few kids there with masks and gloves on. I would definitely get a mask for your 8 yr old at least. Not sure about a 2 yr old--hopefully others will weigh in on that.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 11 and 14 year old both wear masks when we go out now. It hasn’t been often, but twice in the last week we’ve gone for walks with them. Mind you we live in a city so a walk still involves passing plenty of people unlike a suburban neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No recommendations for brands or Etsy stores to get masks from?

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    No recommendations for brands or Etsy stores to get masks from?
    I ordered from two different Etsy sellers. Neither order has come in, but one should arrive this week. (I think we might be out of quarantine by the time the other order arrives, so make sure you check their shipping timeline before ordering.)

I’ll post back in this thread when they come in with a review. A friend made one for me and I had a hard time breathing with it on. I’m hoping that the new ones work better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

All but one order I placed was canceled. I figured that would happen which is why I ordered from several different places. One Etsy shop never gave me a notice. I just received a refund and their shop closed. The one outstanding order is from a company I’ve ordered from in the past (not Etsy) was supposed to ship within 7 days and we are well over that and it doesn’t appear to have shipped yet. It might be different now with more players in the field, but that was my experience so I made my own. I did make one each for the kids but they haven’t been used yet.

Some hospital workers I know are giving out homemade masks that were donated to their units but can’t be used.
    Last edited by specialp; 04-15-2020 at 07:37 AM.

What is the best shape of mask if you also wear glasses? In looking at Etsy I see ones that are rectangular and pleated and others that have more shaping to the face. I'm assuming that the more shaped ones with a wire piece in the nose is better?

Also see a lot of companies that are offering to give away masks to healthcare workers for every mask that is purchased on their site, but I am not familiar with any of these companies.

A lady at my church made 50 masks that she is passing out to people for free, but I kinda feel like maybe I should let those go to those that may not want to order online or need them more immediately than me. I do need to run out tomorrow for an errand but can wear my make-shift bandana mask for the short time I will be out then. Would be nice to get something shipped in the next week or two, as it looks like this will be going on for quite awhile. DH and the kids want fun prints if we are paying and ordering them, lol.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast