Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    What is the best shape of mask if you also wear glasses? In looking at Etsy I see ones that are rectangular and pleated and others that have more shaping to the face. I'm assuming that the more shaped ones with a wire piece in the nose is better?

Also see a lot of companies that are offering to give away masks to healthcare workers for every mask that is purchased on their site, but I am not familiar with any of these companies.

A lady at my church made 50 masks that she is passing out to people for free, but I kinda feel like maybe I should let those go to those that may not want to order online or need them more immediately than me. I do need to run out tomorrow for an errand but can wear my make-shift bandana mask for the short time I will be out then. Would be nice to get something shipped in the next week or two, as it looks like this will be going on for quite awhile. DH and the kids want fun prints if we are paying and ordering them, lol.
    Glasses present a problem, don’t they? I have a rectangular pleated one that does have a wire to shape it, and I am still learning how to reduce the glasses-fogging problem. It’s not great, but by trial and error, I have found some ways to position the mask that are better.

Note: my mask was made by a group of crafty neighbors who have made hundreds so that everyone in our retirement community would have one. No idea about other sources.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    What is the best shape of mask if you also wear glasses? In looking at Etsy I see ones that are rectangular and pleated and others that have more shaping to the face. I'm assuming that the more shaped ones with a wire piece in the nose is better?

Also see a lot of companies that are offering to give away masks to healthcare workers for every mask that is purchased on their site, but I am not familiar with any of these companies.

A lady at my church made 50 masks that she is passing out to people for free, but I kinda feel like maybe I should let those go to those that may not want to order online or need them more immediately than me. I do need to run out tomorrow for an errand but can wear my make-shift bandana mask for the short time I will be out then. Would be nice to get something shipped in the next week or two, as it looks like this will be going on for quite awhile. DH and the kids want fun prints if we are paying and ordering them, lol.

From friend with glasses, the form fit with wire are better than rectangle with pleats for glasses, but only if it fits your face well. The form fits I made from pattern linked in an earlier thread here were too big for my face and too small for DH's face with the nose wire not helping much. (It did fit me best and I can use them, but DH cannot). I combined two patterns I saw on masks and made pleated tie back ones with a removable wire nose piece and filter pocket and it works reasonably well with my glasses (only wear at night) when I try it, but that's not out in the world moving around.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

From a lifelong glasses wearer who wears glasses full time: the form fit ones are better. Here are my learnings from making our own masks, which should help with what to look for with purchased masks. I'm able to wear my mask for fast-paced grocery shopping without fogging up my glasses.

• Ties, not ear elastics 100%!!!! Ear elastics on someone already wearing glasses is torture. Ties are more adjustable, more comfy, and adjust tighter.
    • The form fit with wire are better than the rectangular.
    • If you're wearing a rectangular surgical style mask, try the ties "backwards" - tie the bottom ones at the top of your head and the top ties down at the nape of the neck to create little gaps from the sides from which your breath can escape rather than trying to escape out the top of the mask towards your glasses. Remember, the point of these styles of masks is to prevent spread, not necessarily to protect you. Another thing to try with this style - fold the top 1/2 inch inward towards your face - creates an extra barrier at the top to redirect your hot breath downward and away from your glasses. If you have basic sewing skills you could even tack down this fold with a few stitches and use that fold as a pocket in which you can insert a pipe cleaner.
    • My homemade form-fit mask has room for 2 pipe cleaners, which helps with adjustability and strength of the wire - you want that wire to form tightly around the bridge of your nose, and stay there. With my flat Asian nose (curse it!), the 2 pipe cleaners give me extra width to work with on forming to my nose. I have my wires inserted into a double-layered fabric pocket which makes it feel kind of padded - and I think that also helps with getting a good tight fit as the soft fabric/padding conforms around your nose. So maybe look for a mask with a somewhat padded nose wire area.
    • ROOM FOR AIR in front of your nose and mouth. I had to adjust our mask pattern to bulge out more in the front but it helps big time even though we look like ducks. That space for air means your breath has a space to go into and won't immediately try to escape out the top/sides (like it would if you had a mask that fit right against the mouth and nose). So look for a mask that is very rounded in the front or very beak-y. You ideally want it to seal well onto your face on all sides, to maximize the PPE protection level (as much as you can get with fabric) so look for a mask that looks like it fits tightly against the top of the nose, cheeks/sides of face, and down under the chin but still bulges out in front of your nose/mouth for breathing room. A place for the air to go made the biggest difference and then that air has more time to diffuse through the mask fabric. Without that space, air wants to travel the path of least resistance, which means leaking out any gaps at the top, sides, bottom of the mask and fogging up your glasses with each breath.

A curiosity - supposedly Rothy's is making masks. I have a very hard time imagining how they are doing this, but with their 3-D knitting machines it's conceivable that they could make a formed mask with a rounded N95-like shape that might actually fit well and be comfortable. At the same time, I'm imagining breathing through Rothy's shoes...maybe they will line the masks with a soft cotton or something. But based on their drawings/photos that they posted on social media, I am not hopeful about their design.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-15-2020 at 12:50 PM.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The person I ordered from on Etsy hasn't had masks back in stock for weeks (I've checked!)

Locally, people are selling masks for nominal fees through NextDoor and a community FB group. Maybe try those avenues? I got two well made masks that way.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    From a lifelong glasses wearer who wears glasses full time:

• The form fit with wire are better than the rectangular.

What do you mean by form fit? and what is form fit with wire?

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Any thoughts on these? The reviews sound promising and the price is good! No pocket for a filter piece though.

https://losangelesapparel.net/produc...ck-cotton-mask

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's very frustrating. I ordered from four different places between March 29-April 1, and have not received anything yet. Delays - both understandable and not. (if the item was in stock, why was it not shipped for three weeks?) Also, the reviews for these items have changed, some drastically, since I ordered.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know you were asking for links to buy but this tutorial claims that there masks don't fog glasses so maybe look for a seller that is doing one like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBR9...hQiXEANn2zi-hg

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My kids play water polo and one of the suit makers is making masks now. I've ordered 2, but just yesterday so I haven't received them yet.
    https://www.kap7.com/masks-1/

Says: Expected Ship Date: April 20, 2020
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast