hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default You are too close!

I just dropped a return package at the local hardware store that has UPS. It was a simple drop off, I did not wear a mask since I had not planned on seeing anyone, just leaving the package on the counter!

The owner was coming out and took the package from me. He was standing too close and wanted to chat. I backed away as I was chatting since the kids were in the car. We were closer than SIX FEET and now I am freaking out! I definitely should have had a mask on!

That being said, I am wondering if it's a guy thing. There was an employee showing a customer a lawn mower, their heads were about a foot apart without any masks; last week I saw neighbors chatting about 3 feet apart; earlier this week, two other neighbors also chatting in very close proximity... Covid is still raging here! This is NOT OKAY!!!

The world is definitely NOT OKAY if I am this stressed out about having a conversation with a business owner who I have talked to for YEARS!

I HATE THIS!!!

Rant over...

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's definitely annoying. My last big grocery trip was to Trader Joes and I got to people watch while waiting the long line to get in There were definitely a few guys ignoring the six feet taped markers on the ground. One particular was in front of me. He kept getting really close to the couple in front of him. They would turn around and give him looks. Rather than move back he's sort of sidestep to the side. I purposefully did not move up to his mark so it was very obvious that he was crowding up on them.

And that is my only time outside to observe stuff like this.
    Not much of sample!!!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

One of my closest friends just texted to see if we could hang out in the yard....she told me their kids are staying sane by playing with all the neighbors. Not sure if I am more jealous or more judgemental at this point. I just don't know.

I can't remember if I mentioned here, but we had to drive to DH's job to pick him up when his car died. A new coworker I hadn't met came out to the car and tried to shake my hand. I was flabbergasted (and my delusions that his work is practicing good social distancing was shattered). I felt bad that our first encounter was me being a jerk, but she was like, "OMG, I totally forgot" and I was like, "WTH".

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Was he older? DH and I had a chance to run to the grocery store together yesterday. We both wore masks, almost NONE of the older people (over age 60) were wearing masks and they were getting up right next me when I was picking out produce, instead of just socially distancing and taking turns. Even my DH noticed it too and was annoyed that people were just acting like everything is back to normal. We were shocked just how few people were wearing masks, it was mostly middle aged people wearing masks, like our age.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Was he older? DH and I had a chance to run to the grocery store together yesterday. We both wore masks, almost NONE of the older people (over age 60) were wearing masks and they were getting up right next me when I was picking out produce, instead of just socially distancing and taking turns. Even my DH noticed it too and was annoyed that people were just acting like everything is back to normal. We were shocked just how few people were wearing masks, it was mostly middle aged people wearing masks, like our age.
    I had a similar experience at our local grocery store. The store just instituted new policies limiting customers in the store as well as directional arrows. Older guy found a cohort to start saying how absurd it all was. He got going on the economy. 5 minutes later he was still railing and had managed to get to his greatest foe, Nancy Pelosi.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have noticed that the 6 feet of distancing is not as firmly ingrained in some people as it is in others. We've been super fortunate to be able to be home full time for 5 weeks now. Even DD plays a game in the yard called "stay 6 feet from me" with her brothers so she gets it (she is 6). I picked up an order through the "drive-up" option at Target yesterday and the guy loading just didn't follow the 6 foot rule and didn't seem to note that it kind of put me on edge. (I know that he has to get sort of close to me to put the stuff in my car but it was different than others I've encountered during this pickup). I figure he's been fully interacting with people for his job for the past 5 weeks whereas I've been avoiding EVERYONE and it probably makes a difference in how it feels to him. It probably doesn't FEEL different than it would have in the past for us so I tried to cut him some slack. It just makes me realize how lucky I am.

I have many neighbors. Those that are able to stay home full time are much more careful and concerned about shopping than those around me that still have to report to work everyday, because they are in essential occupations. What this all does to us emotionally and psychologically is going to be interesting to observe!

Melaine, I don't know what I would do if someone set their hand out! At this point I'm not sure I can ever really shake someone's hand again without feeling fear. Not in a neurotic way but I am just not sure how I'll ever not think of the transmission of germs from that simple act the same way again!