petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I'm sick of hearing about our constitutional rights

Ugh. I have seen a big uptick the last few days on FB of people who feel like their constitutional rights are being trampled on and we all just need to stop overreacting and go back to normal.

Seriously, people, this isn't an American virus. It's a worldwide problem and we owe it to humanity to just stay put at home for a few more weeks to slow the spread. And the solution of "well, you stay home if you are at risk" just annoys the heck out of me. It's not that simple, nobody lives in a bubble.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I'm right there with you, but I'm more annoyed at people choosing to congregate in crowds to protest this. I can tolerate you writing essays, posting on FB, etc. But once you congregate in a crowd, you're increasing the odds of getting infected with COVID-19 and then harming our front-line nurses, doctors, and other essential workers who ultimately have to interact with more infected people! Plus I worry about law enforcement getting sick while monitoring such crowds.

DH half-jokingly said anyone who chooses to protest in person with other people in close proximity should sign a release promising they won't seek medical attention if they get infected due to their own stupidity!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    I'm right there with you, but I'm more annoyed at people choosing to congregate in crowds to protest this. I can tolerate you writing essays, posting on FB, etc. But once you congregate in a crowd, you're increasing the odds of getting infected with COVID-19 and then harming our front-line nurses, doctors, and other essential workers who ultimately have to interact with more infected people! Plus I worry about law enforcement getting sick while monitoring such crowds.

DH half-jokingly said anyone who chooses to protest in person with other people in close proximity should sign a release promising they won't seek medical attention if they get infected due to their own stupidity!
    I've said that too, and meant it.
    I just don't get how "Just stay home if you are at risk" is even a good solution.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m right there with you!! It drives me crazy!!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I heard a commentator on my favorite podcast, "Left, Right and Center" explain that for the most part, people have been adhering to social distancing voluntarily. It's a shame that they are getting such mixed messages from our leaders. A solid message and a reputation for telling the truth would go farther to help keep social distancing in place than any law. The sad thing is, these protests won't just hurt the protestors, but many other people will catch the virus from their bad choices. I am sympathetic to the idea that we have to be careful not to give away all our rights. But these times are very special and different. It feels like wartime! Maybe we need a declaration of war against the Coronavirus!

Yes, lots of medical people are posting a "card" that these protestors should carry in their wallets--it says they do not expect to get prioritized for a ventilator or other ICU treatment. And then there was a letter to the editor today criticizing people who advocate flattening the curve as being people who are deemed to have "essential" (his quotes) jobs and thus they don't know the reality of not having a job. NO, you dimwit!!! They know the reality of crowded ERs and having to tell families their loved ones died--or worse--that they are getting kicked off a ventilator or don't qualify for one based on triage protocols. Seriously, I think all of these people should be sentenced to one day in an NYC ER or ICU. Let them see it. yeesh!!!

And this has been done before--1918 flu pandemic, duh. And they didnt' have the internet!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."