JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Chickpea Stew in Instapot?

Has anyone ever made the BBB famous Thai Chickpea Stew in an Instapot or some way other than a slow cooker? I have the ingredients and want to make it, but would love to do it in the Instapot, so I don't have to wait the 6-8 hours to do it in a slow cooker? Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This isn’t the recipe you’re asking about but I thought of this one when I saw your post. I haven’t made it yet but her other recipes have been hits here.

http://www.thelazygeniuscollective.c...g/chickpeabowl

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This isn’t the recipe you’re asking about but I thought of this one when I saw your post. I haven’t made it yet but her other recipes have been hits here.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post

]]

Thanks! This does look like an extremely easy yummy recipe! I will definitely be making it at some point

Would still love to know if anyone has made the Chickpea Curry in an instapot.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am unfamiliar with the recipe you are referring to. But I have gotten reasonably good at converting regular or crock pot recipes to instant pot successfully. If you post your recipe, I can take a stab at converting it for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the recipe you are referring to. But I have gotten reasonably good at converting regular or crock pot recipes to instant pot successfully. If you post your recipe, I can take a stab at converting it for you.

Here is the recpe, PunkyBoo. I would love it if you would try converting it! Thanks

BBBer Alkagift's Thai Chickpea Stew.

Thai Chickpea Stew

2 tsp vegetable oil
    1 1/2 c chopped vidalia onion (1 cup regular)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 19 ounce cans (note the odd size) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, UNdrained
    1 14 oz can coconut milk (light doesn't make a difference, see the fat content below)
    1 Tbs good curry powder (mine is just from Whole Foods--very hot curries may need adjustment but for me this is good)
    2 Tbs minced *pickled* jalapeno pepper (this is what I cut down--I use about a teaspoon because I'm a spice wimp)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 c chopped fresh basil (or cilantro, if you'd rather)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 min or until onion is tender. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a 3 1/2 qt electric slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in basil or cilantro and serve over rice. Serves six to eight.
    Last edited by JustMe; 04-30-2020 at 06:58 PM.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ok that looks easy. Chickpeas are already cooked before cannning, so the cooking is just to get the flavors to combine and come through. I would saute the onions and garlic in the oil in the instant pot on Saute until they are softened. Ad the rest of ingredients (except the herbs that go on after cooking), put on the lid, and cook on Manual for 4 or 5 minutes. I would do a natural release so the flavor has more time to develop. Then top with the herbs and serve.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Ok that looks easy. Chickpeas are already cooked before cannning, so the cooking is just to get the flavors to combine and come through. I would saute the onions and garlic in the oil in the instant pot on Saute until they are softened. Ad the rest of ingredients (except the herbs that go on after cooking), put on the lid, and cook on Manual for 4 or 5 minutes. I would do a natural release so the flavor has more time to develop. Then top with the herbs and serve.

Thanks! I will try this soon and post the results!