Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sorry!

The kids are old enough to unload and load the dishwasher, sweep, and wipe down the counters and table. For us, that makes a big difference in one of the most lived in spaces in the house. We have a dishes schedule so DH and I aren't always the ones doing dishes.
    K

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    I guess this is petty in grand scheme of things. but one of my biggest frustration/stressors right now is the sheer amount of cleaning I (and DH) have to do these days.

I freaking hate cleaning. It kills my soul. Yet i can't stand spending all the time in a house that is dirty. This is why we always had a housekeeper come every 2 weeks to clean our house.

Now we are going on nearly 2 months without a housecleaner, and who knows for how long in forseeable future, depending on how long this all lasts.

I feel like i have been spending every ounce of spare time cleaning and it's grating on me. It's not just because we don't have a cleaning lady. It's also because we are home ALL the time now. I am used to spending 11 hours a day outisde the home at work, gym etc. Kids were in school and aftercare. On the weekends we would go out. Now we are at home all.the.time and OMG. Everything gets messy/dirty way faster. We use way more dishes. We have a dishwasher and run it every single day now, but it's still not enough. Also, i hate having to spend all my time looking at how messy everything is. It literally stresses me out.

i know many people are still having cleaning lady come to clean their house. My DH refused to do it unless we could all be out of the house the entire time. Which doesn't work for us, because it usually takes 3 hours to clean our house (it's Texas, homes are big). So then the question is, where would we all go for 3 hours, in the middle of the week during a workday? at least, my DH is taking every other weekend to do all the vaccuming, scrubbing etc. that is one thing - but there is also the day-to-day stuff like sweeping, dishes, etc. DH does a ton (probably same as me), but it's still not enough.

Having all of us at home for so long very unusual for us. it has its perks, but damn, i ready to look at something other than a dirty kitchen and then be annoyed at it being dirty, cleaning it, and then having it get dirty 5 seconds later. it's maddening.

yes, i realise this is first world problems. though it's a big stressor for me, and i don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. :/
    I feel the same way, especially lately. The amount of dirty dishes, dust bunnies, food mess on the counters and on the floor in the kitchen, and the leaves and sticks the kids and DH track in are killing me. Granted, they are much better than i was ever was about cleaning up messes, doing chores and contributing to the work in the house. HOWEVER, half the problem is watching them to make sure they do what I've assigned them, making sure that no one kid has more to do than the others (or all he11 will break lose), or just constantly reminding them to do their chores before playing outside, or playing video games, talking on the phone to friends, etc. If they don't do it before they start the fun stuff, it will never get done. I know it's the job of a mom to remind them and ride them to do their jobs, but it gets so old. For all of us.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The kitchen is the worst part for me right now. We are cooking constantly and of course that means a lot of dishes too. Thankfully my kids can help out with the dishes, but there are some days where we are cooking all 3 meals and it is just exhausting. Oh and for sure my kids are eating more now than when they were in school! Ironically, the laundry is less of an issue for the kids, bc they are not in doing any sports right now, which is what creates a lot of laundry. HOWEVER, bc I am working the frontline for my job, *I* am doing laundry every night for my work clothes, so now I am the cause of the excessive laundry. It also brings to light that all of my nice clothes, my business office clothes (I've been deployed to the front lines, so now I am wearing scrubs and lots of layers of clothes due to being stuck outside in a tent)... I miss my nicer clothes. I realize now that clothes, which I have always liked to pick out and make into an outfit, right now it is so utilitarian... I hate it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Ironically, the laundry is less of an issue for the kids, bc they are not in doing any sports right now, which is what creates a lot of laundry. HOWEVER, bc I am working the frontline for my job, *I* am doing laundry every night for my work clothes, so now I am the cause of the excessive laundry. It also brings to light that all of my nice clothes, my business office clothes (I've been deployed to the front lines, so now I am wearing scrubs and lots of layers of clothes due to being stuck outside in a tent)... I miss my nicer clothes. I realize now that clothes, which I have always liked to pick out and make into an outfit, right now it is so utilitarian... I hate it.

All my coworkers are wearing scrubs almost everyday also now. We have very little to no patient care, but are in the hospital, so it feels safer to wear something once and be able to launder it. I am pulling out scrubs I haven't worn in years!
    mom to Billy 12/07

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    All my coworkers are wearing scrubs almost everyday also now. We have very little to no patient care, but are in the hospital, so it feels safer to wear something once and be able to launder it. I am pulling out scrubs I haven't worn in years!
    I agree, it is easier to clean. I have no choice but to wear scrubs for my new role (that I did not want), bc I am doing covid testing out in a stupid tent that feels like it is going to blow away and I can't feel my ears or hands. In order to be able to fit into the bunny suit, I can only layer, so I am wearing anywhere from 3-4 layers of clothes that all have to fit underneath the ppe, because it can be snowing to 50's to 60's all within one day. Our state has re-opened for elective, non-overnight stay procedures, and we are testing every one of those patients, plus anyone symptomatic and we also are testing maternity patients who are going to be induced. I got re-deployed to this area, I am normally in health education, I have not been a clinician in 16 years and never thought I would ever wear scrubs again. I'm just miserable right now, bc I am completely out of my element. Plus, my skin is now in horrible shape from wearing masks all day, my hands are also in horrible shape, I have bruising on my hands from having to change gloves so much, yesterday I tested 60 patients. Sorry for whining, I hate this right now and am very close to wanting to quit my job, especially since they have other staff that they could redeploy to the tent (census is low and they still have their travel nurses!!!), but haven't and they are over-working those of us who started out at the tent, and since practices are re-opening, we keep losing staff and they just want those of us already working the tent to cover those holes. I went from doing the tent 2 days a week, to now being told I have to do 3 days and will no longer have any days to do my regular job at all. I also have another role in the same health system and thankfully due to the way that role is funded I will not be redeployed.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Can't imagine working in a hospital and coming home to a lived-in house too! Bless you posters!

OP, totally with you. Every surface in my house is a wreck, then there are MY actual piles. I have to be in certain rooms to watch and make sure my kids are on task, but then it just means that my own piles of half-done projects are everywhere too.

I ordered those e-cloths melaine posted, and we have been watching youTube videos on them. I'm praying they "take" and my kids get on board with using them all over the house.

We are paying the housecleaner - 1/2 of the time now...but doing the work ourselves. It's just more yelling at them At least they like mopping!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

While I'm sick of dishes, laundry is less pressing.

DD and I both have 2+ weeks' worth of underpants, neither of us wears socks often, and we're OK on a modified laundry schedule.

I've never really been obsessive about dust bunnies, but kicked up a load of dust this weekend after re-shuffling a lot of books as we continue the shovel-out of our 3rd floor ... and I need to clean the bathrooms again.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2