Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP here. I'd love to upgrade, but I really don't have the money to do so. (This is a crappy time to be out of work.) Also, I would never have a computer with a camera in the bedroom. Creeps me out!

Our school does not have enough devices for all the students. When home learning started, the teachers had to get a list of all the students and if they had a computer/internet. Those without either were given devices first; we didn't make the cut before they ran out. It's mostly OK, we're dealing.

I just wish there was more math & science and less "fun".

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    DS2 is in 5th grade and has a morning work that includes editing. He'd also have to click back and forth. Now I just take a picture with my phone and put it next to him. No more going back and forth, forgetting the sentence, etc.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    That's totally what we ended up doing after the first 2 sentences took him almost 30 mins! I just thought it could have been formatted a different way to begin with to make it so much easier!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    OP here. I'd love to upgrade, but I really don't have the money to do so. (This is a crappy time to be out of work.) Also, I would never have a computer with a camera in the bedroom. Creeps me out!

Our school does not have enough devices for all the students. When home learning started, the teachers had to get a list of all the students and if they had a computer/internet. Those without either were given devices first; we didn't make the cut before they ran out. It's mostly OK, we're dealing.

I just wish there was more math & science and less "fun".
    Because all that 'fun' is really not fun at all!!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The assignments that have driven me the most crazy are the frequent requests to "clip from old magazines and newspapers" -- our house has ZERO old magazines and newspapers. We don't subscribe to paper copies of anything, and I hate clutter. The first time the "make a collage" type assignment came up I just shrugged, but then there were 2-3 a week for awhile. I would just modify the activities for DD to hit the learning objective in a different way (i.e. - for the place value assignment with statements like "cut out a number from a magazine with a 4 in the hundreds place" I just did a different place value review activity with DD). Thankfully, the teacher never seemed to have a problem with the modifications.

I agree with the PP statement about wishing there was more serious work assigned and less "fun" (one day, 2nd grade DD's entire assignment was "watch a movie and tell your teacher your favorite part"). But, I also have friends in other areas who are pulling their hair out and crazy stressed because there is SO MUCH work and zero fun -- so I realize it's really probably a grass is greener situation. I also realize teachers are in a miserable spot, because each family wants something totally different - some want more work, some want less; some want more tech/online, some want more on paper/books; etc., etc. So I try not to complain and just roll with it. I'm fine with it for now, but it does stress me out thinking of potentially dealing with forms of distance learning for a whole school year next year (we don't have info yet, but I've seen lots of plans circulating) -- it's one thing to finish a school year this way, but it would be quite another to try to handle a new school year like this. I'm just hoping with more time to prepare (our teachers here got a single day to go from classroom to online here), it would be very different if it had to happen again in the fall.
    Lizi

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Liziz, I thought those "clip from old magazines and newspapers" assignments went out when most families no longer had stacks of old National Geographics in the basement!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Liziz, I thought those "clip from old magazines and newspapers" assignments went out when most families no longer had stacks of old National Geographics in the basement!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Right???? Me too!!!!
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Right???? Me too!!!!
    That does seem strange that the teachers are still giving assignments like that. Any images that my kids need for assignments are printed from the computer now. Or rather, most of the presentations are electronic now, so they don't even need to print anything out. Just copy and drop into the slide show!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    That does seem strange that the teachers are still giving assignments like that. Any images that my kids need for assignments are printed from the computer now. Or rather, most of the presentations are electronic now, so they don't even need to print anything out. Just copy and drop into the slide show!
    I’ve got families without a printer so nothing can be sent they need to print. And if there’s tech, there’s issues using it. I try to send things they just need to look at them do or draw on paper and send a picture. We want to send packs to the families as we know some don’t have paper, pencils, glue etc. the principal hopes to do up packs of school supplies from what we have at school

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's another minor annoyance - we have not been allowed to get our personal things from school. So school supplies and things like DS's headphones are in his desk, at school... not helpful now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    That's another minor annoyance - we have not been allowed to get our personal things from school. So school supplies and things like DS's headphones are in his desk, at school... not helpful now.
    We picked up our stuff this past week. Well, we drove up in the car line with a sign with our kids’ name, grade, and teacher on it, and a staff member wearing a mask and gloves put a big black trash bag with each kids’ stuff in it in the back of my car.

DD got hers the week before because her expensive TI 84 calculator was in her locker and she needed it to do her algebra 2 work. Again, contactless pick up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast