Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Me DS1 has less than a week left, DS2 goes 2 days after memorial day. DH is still working FTOH and I'm FT at home. I have to be able to work and my job is slated to get busier over the next couple of months. So my kids will probably be extremely lazy and bug-eyed from video games. DS1 is 16 and wants to work this summer but I can't think of anything that would pay him but wouldn't increase our family exposure. I'm glad we have a pool but I can't see the pool from my home office (but I CAN hear them when they're outside) so I don't see that as something they can do during my work hours. It's likely this summer will kinda suck.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS told me today he's a little worried about this as he's in a good routine with school work. He feels like that's been helpful for him in dealing with losing out on all the senior year activities. He's already hit the points he needs for A's in all of his classes- and he's still doing more assignments. I'm going to have to get creative for summer. We've going to the beach once a week. I'd love to go twice a week, but will have to watch for crowds. Right now it's been wonderful.

Today I had to do a store pick up and Target and was shocked at how packed it was. Very little social distancing going on. I wanted to try a neighborhood grocery store that is locally owned, but again- too many people. I left and stuck with Trader Joes, where they are doing an awesome job of limiting numbers in the store. People have been cooped up and were probably happy to be out! But seeing the crowds today has me worried that we are going to have an increase in cases.

csnoop is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have no idea what we are doing. I am wondering what other two working parents families are doing? I am extremely grateful that both DH and I still have our jobs. Our district's distance learning has been pretty good and has been keeping our kids occupied for a good 3-5 hours a day. But there are only 4 more weeks left of school. I assume the last week will also be a throwaway since teacher probably need to wind down and kids need to return books/devices and such. Back in early March, I had planned to signed up for a number of summer camps. Many of those (especially ones run by the local park & rec) have suspended enrollment. I've heard that some private ones claim that they will go forward with camp but I don't particularly want to enroll right now because who knows what will happen come July. At some point, I will need to be at work and out in public for work related reasons. I've heard a number of colleagues with small kids (5 and under) are just taking FMLA because the parents can't work at all with multiple kids at home and no childcare. I don't particular want to do this but my kids are not quite old enough to be left to their own devices.

They finish next Thurs here. (The state forgave snow days, originally would have been June 1.) We are pretty much over this though, we will probably do the very very bare minimum next week and we already are being fairly laidback. (DS1 discovered he had lesson plans from all of his specials classes on google classroom I haven't had him doing and decided he wanted to do them this week, ok great, whatever. After doing a third grade research paper and trying to teach him geometry...seriously "find the area/perimeter" word problems for 8/9 yo's?! I am over this!
    Anyway, we are driving to Florida in early June. DH probably can't go, his work won't allow him without quarantine after, plus he hates the beach/hot/sand anyway so honestly I don't think I'll miss him much anyway. My mom is going to go with us and we will basically socially distance from our condo/private beach for a few days. We need a change of scenery.
    Then I work for a few days for a couple weeks. Then we drive to Texas to pick up our new puppy in late June. July will be pool time and working with puppy (hopefully! Our HOA board sucks and has backtracked on opening the pool for basically no reason but because the HOA president is a miserable person who likes to cause drama. I may take up an initiative to remove her if the pool does not open with all my free non-pool time.) August we are considering sending dog to puppy boot camp if we like them and taking a family vacation within the state at a resort place with pool, all inclusive meals, activities. That depends on how things go until then but our state has had decent numbers even with opening over a week ago. It still won't be nearly the same but will try to make the best of it.

I will try to work on reading/writing/etc. through the summer but not too heavily.
    Last edited by AngB; 05-16-2020 at 12:23 AM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

School ends in my district on May 29th. But, I haven't told DS that yet. I'm going to continue with our routine of doing a few academic things each day as long as I can. I'm looking at a few camps but not sure how comfortable I am with camps yet. It could end up being a really long summer for all of us.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Next week is the last week of school for us. I did not so the specials classes, so we have those as e-learning options. The school system also recommended a new math program to try out over the summer. We will do that as well. I have scholastic workbooks for each child that we will work on. They cover the basics of what my kids were learning. As a former reg. And spec. Ed teacher I have old materials that I can use to supplement. I also want to work on fine motor skills and daily loving skills.

If social gathering becomes a possibility, I will sign them up for camps and recreational activities.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids finish June 10th. We’re trying to get a flight home to the US the following week. We’ll be subject to a quarantine until July. I’m just hoping having a yard and outdoor space will be enough of a treat for a while. That and things we have at home like a foosball table and basketball hoop and excessive craft supplies and a car to drive places and such. We’ve been living in an apartment in Europe and it was great when the world was normal, but not so fun in the middle of a pandemic. I’m just hoping the joy of being “home” lasts as long as possible. I’d love to go see my mom 4 hours away but I don’t want to expose her so that will be more dependent on how things progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We technically finished this week, although my youngest has some stuff to work on over the summer.

Already, boredom is setting in. We will spend some days/weeks with my parents but beyond that I am very depressed about it. Normally the summer is such a much needed break from busy-ness but it's so different this year. And right now we don't have a car so even more "stuck" than we would otherwise be....can't even get out to do a trail or anything. We've spent a lot of time in the yard this spring because it's been unusually temperate but yesterday reality started to hit with more typical May temps....summer here is too hot to be outside.

DS6 has 4 more weeks of school. Fortunately I don’t have to work in July, so I will be able to hang out with him and DD2 while DH works out of the house. But I have no idea what we are going to do... I had planned a lot of pool and beach time and semi local amusement park trips, but I am assuming amusement parks will be a no and I am not sure how comfortable I will be with beach, pool (at our gym and gets super crowded in summer), zoo, museums, etc. DS was going to go spend a week with his grandparents, but I will not feel comfortable with that. They may or may not come here for a little while. (They will be ok with that long before I am)

DS has one week of half day cooking camp in mid July that is still scheduled to run. I will play it by ear and see how DH feels about sending him. At some point daycare will offer us DD’s spot back and I will pay for it whether we send it or not.

Honestly I am expecting a long and crappy summer. The only way I was going to not go crazy being “home” with the kids was send DD to daycare 2-3 days a week and take DS a lot of places. But that is seeming very unlikely to happen. Thinking I may need a therapist by the end of summer (managing for now, but not saying that sarcastically).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We had a strict routine that worked well for us during school. School ended last week for one of my kids, and this week for the other. I told them I was going to give them a week off, and then we'd see how things are going. My plan as it stands now is to keep a few days a week as "school" days -- more relaxed schedule, but more or less our normal school routine -- with a days that are more relaxed where the kids can basically do whatever they want. I feel that this distance learning really slowed learning towards the end of the school year (our district chose to do almost all review activities, and didn't really teach new material for 2 months) - and with a high likelihood that the next school year won't be entirely "normal", I feel like I need to keep moving my kids along myself as best I can.

I'm also trying to figure out what we can do outside the house this summer. Everything is back open where I am, but it's really really hard to safely socially distance. I've been trying to find some outdoor activities where we'll be able to socially distance enough to feel okay to break up the time as well. I think that summer camps and such will be open and functioning around here, but I'm not sure if we'll send kids -- with reduced numbers allowed, we might not be able to get a spot. And even if we can, we're just not sure whether we're comfortable with it. I am still holding out hope I can bring the kids to visit my parents this summer, but that would involve an airplane trip, so we'll see.
    Lizi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast