Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default It’s not completed until it’s turned in!!!

Homework gets done, but not submitted. It’s been 2 months of online learning and hitting submit on goggle classroom doesn’t happen. He’s a tech kid, built his own computer, he can open the google doc in Google classroom, do the work, then closes the doc, but does not hit the orange button that says “submit”. I’ve even checked in at end of day, “did you submit?” the answer is yes, then I get an email from the teacher with list of missing work.

If anyone has a suggestion, I’d love to hear it! If school is online I the fall, grades will probably count.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 05-16-2020 at 03:19 AM.

Can you stick a brightly colored posit it note with a reminder on it on the computer screen or on the desk/wall next to the computer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have a relevant anecdote to share... ds1 was doing early action for college and he worked to get all of his stuff done for that November deadline (it was a Friday and he said he did it at school). Saturday his top pick school emailed us and said they were disappointed not to have received his application but that they were extending the deadline. He never hit the submit button on the Common App. He physically turned in papers to the guidance office, the college access person told him he was done and he believed that. He literally just had to hit the submit button.
    Better you’re finding out about his tendency to skip that detail as I’m imagining we got lucky with that college and the deadline!!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nicci, is he in HS now? What is the grading policy? DS1's school moved to no harm grading (or something like that). Basically he couldn't get anything lower than what he had at 3rd quarter but he could get higher. DS1 had an A- in math but otherwise straight As. We got messages every week from the principal reminding the kids that even though they're getting good grades and couldn't be penalized, they still should try! I'm just wondering if your DS is doing the work, he's getting the benefit, right? Maybe it doesn't hurt his grade? Still so frustrating not to do that one simple step that makes all the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Nicci, is he in HS now? What is the grading policy? DS1's school moved to no harm grading (or something like that). Basically he couldn't get anything lower than what he had at 3rd quarter but he could get higher. DS1 had an A- in math but otherwise straight As. We got messages every week from the principal reminding the kids that even though they're getting good grades and couldn't be penalized, they still should try! I'm just wondering if your DS is doing the work, he's getting the benefit, right? Maybe it doesn't hurt his grade? Still so frustrating not to do that one simple step that makes all the difference!
    9th grade. His grades can go up, they can’t go lower than 3rd quarter grades. I know he’s not motivated, and has checked out. We’re making him do the work as he needs to keep learning and he doesn’t have a reason not to other than he doesn’t want to. I have families that don’t have internet, older siblings doing childcare or helping to earn money. He doesn’t have that situation. He also can easily do the work.

He needs to learn to submit especially if still online in the fall.

Default It’s not completed until it’s turned in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Can you stick a brightly colored posit it note with a reminder on it on the computer screen or on the desk/wall next to the computer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good idea.i also half-jokingly suggested a consequence for each time he says work is completed and submitted when it’s not. I’ve got a list of unpleasant chores

Last edited by niccig; 05-18-2020 at 01:15 PM.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Homework gets done, but not submitted. It’s been 2 months of online learning and hitting submit on goggle classroom doesn’t happen. He’s a tech kid, built his own computer, he can open the google doc in Google classroom, do the work, then closes the doc, but does not hit the orange button that says “submit”. I’ve even checked in at end of day, “did you submit?” the answer is yes, then I get an email from the teacher with list of missing work.

If anyone has a suggestion, I’d love to hear it! If school is online I the fall, grades will probably count.

No suggestions, but you are not alone!!

This is DS2 every. single. time.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This is my life. DS (12.5) cannot, for the life of him, read the final sentences of any email and do that last step of submitting work. I woke up this morning to the missing work email from the math teacher...and the topic is one that we discussed at dinner last week. He must have just not marked it complete. and 4 missing assignments in PE. This online schooling has made me the warden of missing assignments.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You are not alone! We have received several emails from teachers expressing concern over missing assignments. DS says they were completed but there must have been a “technical glitch” on the submission. It’s happened to DD too. My friends are also complaining about the same for their kids. They have to keep their electronics outside of their door while they are working and have to come see me when they are finished with their work for the day. I ask if everything is completed AND submitted and if they made sure it was submitted. I’m just counting the days at this point and grateful mine are not in HS yet.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Note: I'm a high school teacher.

If the teacher is attaching the Google Doc in Classroom, and all your son has to do is fill it out, then the teacher can see it whether he hits "Turn In" or not. This is not the case if he has to create the Doc himself and then attach it in Classroom.

Sometimes I will see that a student has done at least some of the work but never turned it in. I send a Private Message to the student asking if s/he wants me to grade what is there or if s/he wants to finish it.

Maybe the teacher thinks he wants to revise some more before turning it in. Can you contact the teacher to explain the situation? I know we are supposed to encourage our kids to advocate for themselves, but these are extraordinary times and circumstances. The teacher should be willing to grade what is there even if it doesn't show up as turned in.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast