Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I was going to post about this to see what others are doing...

We have gone 9 weeks at home without seeing friends. Up until about a week ago, the kids were doing well. They missed their friends but were okay. And then, they started hearing of friends seeing friends. Once that happened, my DS (12) cried several times over a few days. That began my thinking about potentially getting together with other kids.

We are technically on a stay-at-home order until 5/31 but very few are heeding that. I also think that we are facing a long haul with this virus so I feel like I need to figure out a way for kids to socialize safely. For us, that means getting together with one or two friends at a time, outside, with distance between them.

Ideas for activities that can be done without touching? What I have so far: bike riding, soccer, sidewalk chalk, kite flying...
    DS 2008
    DD 2010
    DS 2014

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We’ve gotten together with cousins a few times in the past couple of weeks, mostly outside, but that’s it so far. Our state is practically completely opened up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

Not yet here. And if you do decide to, I’d refrain from having your kids IG it over social media to make the kids who are following the rules feel badly or worse. There is a small but obnoxious cohort of kids who have pretty much blown off social distancing since March and broadcast it purposefully on social media. Pretty much a small “mean girls” group and a few jock type boys. Actually entirely predictable who is breaking rules and advertising it. If a family decides to allow it and feels okay, that’s fine, but keep it quiet. And know that people are not reliable and if they are socializing with you, good chance socializing with others and so on. That’s the rub.

Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are struggling with the balance. We have been in isolation for a couple of months, and that is hard on teens. Thank goodness for FaceTime with friends! I do think DS will need to spend time with friends this summer, but I have not yet figured out the safe way to do it.
    Stephanie

Mamma to James

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Not yet here. And if you do decide to, I’d refrain from having your kids IG it over social media to make the kids who are following the rules feel badly or worse. There is a small but obnoxious cohort of kids who have pretty much blown off social distancing since March and broadcast it purposefully on social media. Pretty much a small “mean girls” group and a few jock type boys. Actually entirely predictable who is breaking rules and advertising it. If a family decides to allow it and feels okay, that’s fine, but keep it quiet. And know that people are not reliable and if they are socializing with you, good chance socializing with others and so on. That’s the rub.

Yes, a thousand times this!!

I can accept that different families, different circumstances and different view about social distancing. Fine (well, i hate it, but whatever). But it really irks me the ones that take to social media to show all their beach trips with other families, kids at birthday parties (no social distancing at ALL, kids hugging, etc), brunches and dinners iwth you and four of your BFFs shoulder-to-shoulder enjoying margs at local mexican place, celebrating your "freedom." UGH. not only is it a slap in the face to all those dealing with either working on the frontlines but being forced to be exposed everyday, but it's a sh*tty example to set for kids.

One mom i know has a husband who is a physician and her kids have not gotten together with any friends since March 11. Her kids are in high school (so old enough to be on IG and the like) and what is tough is a few of their BFF's have been getting together regularly the entire time (even during the lockdown) and blasting it on social media. I can imagine it's really hard for the kids who are either high-risk or who are doing the responsible thing and quarantining/limiting contact because a parent is either in healthcare or has to be exposed regularly. the going to social media and blasting how much fun you/your kids having with so-and-so at all these events, it really does seem like mean girl behavior to the nth degree. And yeah, in my feed, it is pretty predictable who is breaking rules and advertising it. I go back and forth between hating these people but then thinking they aren't entirely to blame because our state has had pretty crappy leadership and insanely vague & conflicting regulations regarding the whole covid situation. here in TX there have been various incidents re: people lashing out for being asked to wear masks in a store (insisting governor said they didn't have to), or people harrassing other people who choose to wear masks. the other day DH's cousin's wife (who lives a few towns over) got harrassed by a random person for wearing a mask while walking with her toddler in her own neighborhood. People really suck these days.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-18-2020 at 08:35 PM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DC have seen just a couple of friends outside, keeping 6 ft or more distance. My kids are really missing their friends. We have gone on a walk, gone golfing, talked in the yard, and biked.

It is hard. There are groups of kids/teens in our neighborhood not keeping social distance, hanging out, playing ball, etc. It isn't on my kids' radar too much, thankfully. They know a little. However mine are not on social media at all and the folks we know are still quarantining.

We are hoping that some smaller summer camps (local) will be a possibility. A couple of bigger ones in neighboring states are a go.
    Last edited by KpbS; 05-19-2020 at 12:48 AM.
    K

I should add, my kids have been pretty good about staying 6 ft apart (or more) from others, but their friends are not always that mindful. I've reminded them. It's hard, but we are going to keep our distance for now and keep face to face interactions limited still.
    K

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My teens have taken bike rides or met at a park to sit socially distanced and chat. I don’t trust my 9 year old to do that and my DH is high risk so she hasn’t been in contact with any friends IRL.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS2's 11th birthday is on Saturday and I'm trying to decide what to do. Normally he'd have a pool party plus laser tag and sleepover with 5 friends. I don't think he'd want to have a birthday drive through parade, seems kinda lame to me lol! What does everyone think about inviting one friend over to the house to swim for an hour or two? I'd have him come in through the back gate and make sure they stay in the pool area the whole time. I could give both DS and his friend their own plate of chips, pizza, and slice of cake or skip food altogether. Thoughts? He hasn't seen a single friend since the last day of school on March 13th.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    DS2's 11th birthday is on Saturday and I'm trying to decide what to do. Normally he'd have a pool party plus laser tag and sleepover with 5 friends. I don't think he'd want to have a birthday drive through parade, seems kinda lame to me lol! What does everyone think about inviting one friend over to the house to swim for an hour or two? I'd have him come in through the back gate and make sure they stay in the pool area the whole time. I could give both DS and his friend their own plate of chips, pizza, and slice of cake or skip food altogether. Thoughts? He hasn't seen a single friend since the last day of school on March 13th.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    This is good. Just what a friend of ours did for her 13 yo today. She chose 1 friend to come over.
    K

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3