Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default ISO recommendations for VIRTUAL/On-line HIGH SCHOOL

So, I am simultaneously researching medical alert devices for my elderly, disabled, widowed mom (see other post) and options for DS for next year. DS is currently a sophomore in all honors classes. Our principal sent multiple letters that outlined what this trimester would look like with distance learning. It sounded very reasonable, but so little has come to fruition.

COVID has shown that our public high school, no matter how highly rated, does a poor job with online instruction.

Yes, this pandemic took us all by surprise, but even the teachers who were great in the classroom have all but mailed it in. I am saddened to see how little DS is learning (and how very little instruction even takes place). As of now, it seems unlikely that school will be "normal", classroom-based instruction in our area by the end of August.

DS is scheduled to take 5 AP classes, along with honors physics (months ago I posed about this, too, but he made his decision). The dismal situation this spring has us exploring other options. We do not want to be caught off guard when the governor and/or superintendent should tell us that classes will be held remotely in the fall.

I would really appreciate any input. DS is frustrated, too, and said that he would like to explore online options with companies who specialize in virtual learning. I do fear how such a change might look on his record, but I guess I am even more afraid of his losing any more time.

Stephanie

Mamma to James

I hate that this educational experience has been so different for students. We are starting to research online options for high school as well but I don't have any recommendations or ideas right now. DS1 is a very bright student going to 9th grade next year. He will absolutely rise to the occasion and get good grades when it's expected but won't do the work without the expectation. If learning continues as it has for students at his high school this spring, he will have almost lost an entire year. We have even looked at some local private options, thinking they may be able to maneuver more easily. But the desirable ones are all full since it's late in the game. I hope someone else has some good options for you.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll pm you.
    K

We are full-time homeschoolers and have been very happy with Well-Trained Mind Academy and The Lukeion Project, both of which offer online junior high and high school level classes. Unlike the poor public school teachers like my brother who are trying to figure elearning out as they go, these folks have been doing it for years and have established how to teach, assign and grade homework, and monitor class participation online. I don't know how many openings they have anymore, but I would highly recommend them for an honors high school student.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am also interested in information about on-line high schools and will be following. One of my kids has an IEP and one really needs to be challenged!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes