WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Outdoor shower ideas?

We need a third shower...and we need a new deck, so I’m thinking we combine them into one building project.

MIL’s beach house has a great one with Hot and cold water, but it’s huge bc it’s a beach house. We have neighbors, so I’m working out ways to hide the person using the shower and their reentry into the house.

What tips or cool things have you seen done that won’t break the bank as we try to add this feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is this a beach house too? I’m trying to figure out any context where, when not at the beach, I’d want to go outside to shower unless you have a pool or hot tub. Even then? No. Would your family want to use it? Good to think about in case everyone is a no.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The shower really needs to be in full sunlight to avoid mold issues so that is a consideration when you plan location. Having a side/back door for immediate access is best. I was quite taken aback to be on the Vinyard and watch people stroll out their front door in a towel for their shower! I also wish the one at the house we rented had more hooks for towels and clothes. .... because I did NOT want to stroll out in my towel - I wanted to be able to change in the shower or at least have a place to hang a robe.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Is this a beach house too? I’m trying to figure out any context where, when not at the beach, I’d want to go outside to shower unless you have a pool or hot tub. Even then? No. Would your family want to use it? Good to think about in case everyone is a no.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I too think it would be strange unless it is a beach house or pool cabana setting. I would also check area regulations- I don’t think regulations/building code would allow it in my area.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 05-19-2020 at 05:47 PM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I thought it was the weirdest thing ever too but really, its kind of cool to be out showering under the stars. cold, but very calming if that makes sense. And no we werent at the beach though we were on Martha's vineyard.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are you in a cold climate? Here in the northeast seasonal bathrooms are closed down in the fall to avoid broken pipes in the winter.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have an outdoor shower and are in Chicagoland. We live a couple of blocks from Lake Michigan and originally put it in to de-sand ourselves after being at the beach. Ours is nothing fancy at all. We picked out an outdoor shower fixture that cost around $300 (you could go cheaper) and had lines run from our existing indoor lines (very easy - our shower is on an outer wall of our garage) - this was about $200 for the plumber. We put in wooden decking for the floor with stones around and under the wood and built a wooden enclosure with a door that goes 6' up so that no part of you can be seen when you are in showering. Not sure how much this ran for materials plus labor (we had it painted too). Would also be easy to DIY if you are handy. Inside we have hooks for towel/robe and a little bench. It's open to the air above. In winter, we remove the shower fixture and store it in the basement and cap and drain the lines. It has been very nice to have even though we use it less now that I don't have little kids playing in the sand at the beach all summer long.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

OP here...it'll be a 3-season outdoor shower. We will winterize it.

Everyone is onboard with using the shower, especially when we all 5 need to shower (after working in the yard, being out at the lake, exercising, etc) because we only have 2 showers! Nobody wants to be the 3rd person in line.

The front of the house is in the sun, so the back where the shower would not be in the sun... but it would be something to watch out for. Thank you!

As far as building code...I'll have to check! The contractor said he hasn't had many requests for them in 25 years, but the owner of the main plumbing company in town sounded like it's something they do every so often.

I second checking the building codes and doing it to code since it is visible and you never know who is going to report it and don’t want to spend the money to decommission it later. Unless it was quite swanky, it would be odd around here and not a plus for resale or use. Some luxury homes have very nice private outdoor showers off the master bath, but don’t replace the indoor shower. We almost bought a vacation house that had one like that but not sure how much we’d really have used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk