hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I just want a thermometer that WORKS!

Why is it so hard to find a thermometer that works?

Ever since my teenager was a baby, I have been looking for an accurate thermometer! I prefer the "oral" models, however, none of the ones I have had through the years actually work! Last year DC was VERY sick and we were encouraged to purchase a forehead thermometer, which seems accurate. However, I would like an oral for backup.

In February, I tested our oral thermometer which registered at 95.5 degrees. So after a TON of research, I ordered a thermometer that had rave reviews from everyone. Just took my temp for the first time... 96.6 degrees... the forehead swipe says 98.5 degrees and I just came from an appointment where they reported 99.5 degrees.

Sure, I can take my temp, but not if the THERMOMETER DOES NOT WORK!!!

Why is this so hard?

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Different types of thermometers are going to give you different readings. You need to use the same kind consistently and know what is normal for you. Also take your temp several times and then average the results. We get a slightly different reading each time, even within a few minutes.

Going down a degree from the time your temp was taken at the appointment until the time you took your own is not impossible nor unreasonable. I think most people fluctuate by at least a couple of degrees all day long.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I get my temp taken every day at work, the "gun" style seems to be the easiet to use and doesn't require touching. My temp varies between 96.5 to 97.5 most days. You aim it at the forehead. We have a exeregen temporal one at home and it's a pain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a digital scale and digital ear thermometer that are the same way. I take my temperature 3 times and use the third reading every time. And I just don't weigh myself, so problem solved with the scale

I use the Kinsa app to document and share the temps I take for my family, I can also record symptom info. It looks like Kinsa thermometers are available on their site https://www.kinsahealth.co/products/...0116407#buynow. I just use an ear thermometer that I've had for 15 years to enter info into the app, so I can't say if Kinsa ones are more predictable, but if I was going to buy a new thermometer it would be from this company because I support the work they're doing.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The thermometers I have gotten are not accurate either. I had a forehead one that worked for several years but now has wild variations. Then I bought another forehead one and that one wasn't accurate. Then I bought a different style and also not accurate. All of these had good reviews but would give me temperature readings that would range from 98-104 within a few seconds of each reading. I am wondering if the oral thermometers are maybe more accurate.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default I just want a thermometer that WORKS!

I had an Exergen thermometer that was great when Dd2 was a baby until the battery died a year or two later and then I tried to replace the battery and it never worked the same again. The Braun in early thermometer I had worked great for about 7 years and it finally just died when DH was sick in January. I ended up buying another one and I found it to be accurate. It is the $60 Braun thermometer not the super cheap one because that was all that was in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)