Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think that parents and teachers should be given a choice of online vs. in person. Enforce strongly that kids need to stay home when sick. No more of those idiotic attendance awards, no more calling parents when kids have too many sick days. STAY HOME WHEN SICK. Make sure kids get their work to make up and STAY HOME.
    And I'd do as little messing with their lives as possible. I wouldn't cancel sports and extracurricular activities. I'd implement mask wearing, cleaning procedures and expectations. Our school is installing all hands free sinks, foot levers on doors, and has sensor light switches. Make the kids clean their desks, tables, etc. It's not that hard. My kids always had to do that in their elementary school. Handwashing, handwashing, handwashing. Easy access to hand sanitizer (I hate it, but for now...). I think we need to realize that the data still indicates that kids are a low risk group and start realizing the significant damage we are doing to them by canceling everything they love and everything they need. This is, of course, assuming numbers are going down and we ramp up our protections for the people who are truly at risk (especially need to ramp up protections for nursing homes...70% of the deaths in my area. That is absolutely unacceptable!).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

sdjeppa is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I've heard of this but haven't figured out how that works with AP or IB classes. Either you are dinner months before the test out have to get all the material in from January to May. It seems not great for either way

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    My son is at a HS that is on a block schedule. AP classes are all year, but are either MWF or TTh, while semester long classes are M-F. They also pair Math/Science and History/English, as the teachers work together to coordinate what they are teaching so they build on skills. He’s a sophomore, if you enroll in AP World History, for example, you have to take Honors english, which is on the alternate days but also all year. The system works well, but does move quickly and it’s easy to fall behind if, for instance, they are out sick for several days.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My son is 6th grade and distance learning has not been happening with him. If they were issuing grades, he would fail every class, and I am not sure he has even completed enough assignments to get a Credit in his classes.

Some districts near us are discussing 2 days in class and 3 days distance, so only have the grade is in the school each day, and teachers have an entire day with no physical students. This would work for us IF our county is at the point of allowing people into our home. I really need someone to sit with DS and help him with work. He is not special needs but does not do well with the google classroom style using youtube/powerpoint etc to teach. Thankfully, I am still working and can afford some tutoring, atleast from a high school or college student cost level to help out.
    mom to Billy 12/07

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You also have to keep in mind, it isn’t just about keeping the kids from getting sick, but it is the teachers and adult faculty members that need to be protected as well. Many are over 60, and even younger ones have underlying health issues or live with their elderly parents. None of these hybrid models really protect them. Even saying the ones at risk could teach from home wouldn’t work well, because one school may lose their entire staff to staying home, and then who would run the school?

Whatever is done, I hope each plan is tailored to serve the location and population of each school individually. What works well at one school, might be a disaster for another (even within the same state or county).

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Here's the thing, the majority of people are not going to do any significant social distancing and so any of the 6 ft apart ideas will be undone as soon as most students leave school.

I think the schools will need to set up as much hand washing as possible, encourage sick kids and staff to stay home, and have testing widely available.

Wearing masks, alternating days and outside learning is not practical and will be impossible to implement for so many schools, especially those in urban areas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How does one wear a mask while playing sports, during choral events, or for that matter, orchestra? And, why?

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Am I the only one thinking... I'm glad it's NOT my decision? No matter what is decided, I think there is going to be a lot of criticism and guilt. I'm glad I won't be the target of that.

Yes!!!

I posted on FB today, I feel like if you aren't on a school board/superintendent, maybe chill out a little bit (in response to all of the people FREAKING out over CDC suggestions...) since it's only May!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Maybe it’s the New Englander in me, but I almost snorted out of my nose at the forest school idea. What are you guys planning to do after September?

Growing up in the 70’s we lived with split school grades at times due to overcrowding while we waited for new schools to be built (not for me, for the older Boomer kids) and one middle school had to close during the oil embargo because it was newer and ran on oil, so they had to double up that year. So it’s doable, you lose all the “extras”.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast