Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How are people reacting to the regulations in your state?

I'm curious what others are seeing in regards to dealing with the regulations for their state. The area I live in is very rural, not a ton of cases and people are just flying off the handle and complaining about EVERYTHING. I am done with FB because I can't even take the misinformation going around and the entitlement of people. They're making petitions to try and get regulations changed. They opened baseball with guidelines, including wearing a mask for spectators and everyone threw a fit. They should be happy that they weren't just told to not have baseball. There have been lawsuits filed in our state to stop them from making regulations. We came down hard at the beginning but we've opened up more than some states at this point and I don't find the regulations crazy. They are inconsistent for sure, but I'm trying to remind myself that this is a learning experience for everyone. We've never done anything like this before and we're getting no leadership from the President. So each state is having to do their best. Instead people around here think the government is trying to control them and change their brain by making them wear masks and inhale their own CO2 to kill them (not even kidding). So are you seeing a lot of people worked up with regulations or are most people in your area ok with them?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It’s turned deeply political. I bet if I looked at a red vs blue map from the last election it would match up with how people are reacting and behaving. I live in the last ring of our city before it turns red so if I go in for anything, everyone is following the rules and not complaining. Masks are required in my state to enter any business. If I go away from the city for errands you see less good behavior but, again, masks are required and people are complying fine. It’s just that you see less social distancing (like the 7 teen girls that spilled out of the car at Target the other day). I “snoozed” my cousin on Facebook who lives about an hour away because he’s one that is reacting poorly to guidelines. Geez, sorry dude that our governor cares about public health and safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

People are all over the place.

Protesters demanding the reopening of the state were at one point gathering in the capital regularly. N.C. has a three-phase plan, but that's not good enough. They want the doors thrown completely open like in Georgia, South Carolina and some of our other Southern neighbors.

We go into Phase 2 this evening. The stay-at -home order expires. You can gather in groups of 25 outside and 10 inside. Social distancing and masks when appropriate are highly encouraged but not mandated in those types of gatherings. It allows restaurants to open for dine-in service at 50% capacity and allows pools, spas, barbershops and hair salons to open with restrictions. However, other things that were initially in Phase 2 were removed, including movies theaters, bowling alleys, playgrounds and gyms. That, mainly the exclusion of gyms, did not go over well with some folks.

Then there's the crowd who thinks this is all too much -- we should still have a stay-at-home order and should only be going out for essentials. I would presume there are a number of people like me, who sit somewhere in the middle, but we tend to be the quietest.

I agree things follow along political lines.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 05-22-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here you are either happy or not. We are rolling open at a steady pace Today they are opening summer rentals and youth sports & camps for the summer Our county ends school the 29th There are a few people very vocal about keeping shut down and at least on social media the responses are you have the right to stay home. Restaurants just went to 50% inside capacity with out door seating many places are blocking sidewalks and even some streets so tables can be brought outdoors. I think we can go to groups of 50 soon our gyms opened and see less masks every time I venture out. Overall Florida has done a decent job considering our population and our demographic. Our positive test rate was at 5.9% as of this morning it continues a steady decline.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Seems to be along the lines of I'm able to work from home and not be financially impacted privilege versus out of work and fed up with not being able to appropriately provide.

Just this morning posted in a local moms group:

"I am trying not to come apart. No income, no unemployment cards YET! Oh and my pandemic EBT is STILL pending. Stimulus paid month and a half rent. Bought groceries out of pocket for 8 people and more cleaning supplies and toiletries. My husband's check went to paying friends and family back that helped before and during the pandemic. I want to freaking scream."

60% of deaths here are from nursing home/congregate living facilities and we didn't even put COVID patients in there. Basically sitting ducks- it's so sad.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There have been protests in PA. Several counties trying to defy governor's orders and opening back up before he qualifies them to. Our county moves to yellow phase today. I was going to go out and get groceries, but its raining, so I'll hold off. I was curious to see if shopping areas were more crowded today. People are still mad that even in yellow phase restaurants are still only allowed to do carry out/delivery and gyms, nail salons, and hair salons are not allowed to be opened yet.

On another note, I was reading about a local consignment store that is opening back up today. People were inquiring if the store would mandate customers to wear face masks. They just kept repeating that they are following CDC and government guidelines and that face masks are not mandatory. I thought they were in my state, but some people said the governor has walked back from his previous rule that all customers (and employees) must wear face masks or business can refuse entry. The last I was out was this past Tuesday to take the dog to the vet and mail return packages at UPS and everyone was wearing masks in both locations. I get that wearing a mask is uncomfortable/can be a pain, I hate wearing it for my quick grocery trips. And I hate that people are being ignorant of state or store rules and getting into fights with employees about masks. But I also feel like businesses should do as much as possible to protect their employees, and if masks help with that, then it should be a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    They are inconsistent for sure, but I'm trying to remind myself that this is a learning experience for everyone.
    That understanding is a luxury you or I can have because it does not impact us in a direct way. For some people, however, that little inconsistency is financial ruin without a public health benefit and unless you are part of a powerful industry, you do not have the governor's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Seems to be along the lines of I'm able to work from home and not be financially impacted privilege versus out of work and fed up with not being able to appropriately provide..
    This sums it up for people I know personally and a shift from one side to the other once it did start impacting them either through benefits lost or companies discussing furloughs. Community wide, I agree it feels deeply political.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In a hotspot and liberal-leaning area, I haven't seen anyone without a mask inside a store or in my office. Out walking around without a mask, yes, but I'm not too concerned about that. Most in my circles are still "I'm gonna stay home forever with my Instacart membership" because if you never leave your house it seems scarier than it is, and I think that reflects my social circle of privilege.

I'm really frustrated with the politicalization of this. I've worn masks for years and years so I'll wear it whenever you want me to and not give a care. I really don't understand not wanting to wear a mask.

But if I and my husband can protect ourselves in COVID units, and protect our families/patients from ourselves should we be carriers, then we can certainly protect ourselves (and protect others from us) in parks and Little League games and barbershops.

Neither view has anything to do with my politics.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

My area was recently a hot spot, so everyone seems to be cooperating with local guidance. Honestly, I got off social media in 2016 so I'm really not in the loop. All I know is the few times I've gone shopping I see people definitely wearing mandated masks and most everyone trying to social distance.

However, yesterday my mom told me a story of a lady that she talked to at her Walmart in Northern Virginia. The lady had a ton of groceries in her cart and was wearing scrubs. They started a conversation and it turns out she was from a rural town that now has a ton of current cases of Covid 19. The lady said she tried to go to her local Walmart and nobody was taking any precautions. She now drives the 30 minutes to my mom's Walmart where people are "more educated and careful." (The lady's words, according to my mom.)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    In a hotspot and liberal-leaning area, I haven't seen anyone without a mask inside a store or in my office. Out walking around without a mask, yes, but I'm not too concerned about that. Most in my circles are still "I'm gonna stay home forever with my Instacart membership" because if you never leave your house it seems scarier than it is, and I think that reflects my social circle of privilege.

I'm really frustrated with the politicalization of this. I've worn masks for years and years so I'll wear it whenever you want me to and not give a care. I really don't understand not wanting to wear a mask.

But if I and my husband can protect ourselves in COVID units, and protect our families/patients from ourselves should we be carriers, then we can certainly protect ourselves (and protect others from us) in parks and Little League games and barbershops.

Neither view has anything to do with my politics.
    I agree with almost all of this, mask wearing is required in public indoor places in my state, and some people even wear voluntarily indoors. But my state was not particularly hard hit, particularly outside of nursing homes. Most people I know are chafing for restrictions to loosen.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast