Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Seems to be along the lines of I'm able to work from home and not be financially impacted privilege versus out of work and fed up with not being able to appropriately provide.
    See, in my circle, this is not what I'm hearing about. I have to say that first of all my circle is probably too privileged to get a true societal picture of my geographical area but most of the complainers are NOT taking a financial hit at all. Most of them are white collar and working from home. Actually, most in my circle are SAHMs from white collar families or retirees. They are chafing at wearing masks and want it to open for ideological reasons, (which I am somewhat understanding of) or because they think COVID is overblown (which honestly frustrates me a lot--even as I hope that they are right!).

I think I would have a LOT more sympathy for people who are truly economically affected by the quarantine. But this is not what I'm seeing. I do see people who have mental illness that struggle with isolation and anxiety. I also feel for them. My sister is one of them and she lives alone. It is ROUGH. I think the whole thing is just hard and I'm trying not to be judgmental but I do feel a little frustrated by the hard ideological stance of both sides.

I think it is dangerous but perhaps not in the ways we first feared. I think with some good steps we can make sure that people can be protected and we can be moderately open. I feel like the protests and the arguments are very counterproductive to what we need to be doing--working cooperatively together to be innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I'm really frustrated with the politicalization of this. I've worn masks for years and years so I'll wear it whenever you want me to and not give a care. I really don't understand not wanting to wear a mask.

But if I and my husband can protect ourselves in COVID units, and protect our families/patients from ourselves should we be carriers, then we can certainly protect ourselves (and protect others from us) in parks and Little League games and barbershops.
    This is such an interesting perspective. I find it hopeful, actually, and thank you for sharing. You're right! All those essential workers we're expecting to stay well in the most infected of conditions. If we can protect ER doctors we can surely protect small business owners, shoppers, etc.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm in a hotspot and see decent compliance, although I think people are getting sloppy.

I totally understand the angst to open things up again. What I don't understand is the unwillingness to take protective measures when doing so. So people want to open AND not wear masks, social distance, reduce capacity, gather in large numbers. I just don't understand that. Why not start to re-open AND do the things that have been asked of your. It is not rocket science to understand you lessen the risk when you stand farther away from someone or don't bump into a lot of people at once.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

NYer...so deep blue state but I live in a deep red rural county. We are in phase 1: construction, manufacturing, landscaping. All food and stores are curbside. But you'd think our town was greenlighted to go hog while and it's all systems go. Kids are playing soccer at the school turf with the varsity coach (even though school has said the entire campus is closed to visitors), neighborhood kids all playing together, large family gatherings. We are supposed to wear masks in public. You see masks, but most are dangling around the neck or only covering the mouth...what's the point?!

My 13hr old was invited to go on a bike ride with a friend today. We declined. We just aren't ready to let our kids socialize yet. No judgement on that girl's family. It's just not our comfort level. My town is the hardest hit of COVID cases in our county. 10yr old's girl scout troop leader, who is a nurse, was just diagnosed this week. My BIL, who works for a food insecurity non-profit, is in 2-week precautionary isolation because a coworker tested positive. So, the virus is still a very real risk and people we know are being directly impacted, and that makes me continue to be far more cautious with my family than perhaps others in my town who do not know anyone who is directly impacted. That said, telling my daughter she couldn't go on the bike ride hurt me at my core and DH and I have started to discuss what our "reintegration" into life will look like and when. We know we cannot sustain this forever and we have to weigh the benefits and risks...which is hard when the risk is our health, our kids' health, and the health of others in the community. It weighs heavily for sure.

I'd also like to point out that I don't know of any person of color who is protesting the stay at home orders or the slow pace of reopening. It's largely (dare I say exclusively) White communities demanding their rights be restored...their right to not wear a mask, their right to shop and dine. I just don't see the same happening in communities of color here.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We're in kind of a unique spot, geographically. Our state (Washington) is opening by county, not the whole state. We live a mile or so from the county line. The county we actually live in goes to phase 2 Tuesday - when we go into town that way, about half of people wearing masks and distancing, some places open even though they're not supposed to be. Lots of complaints/demands to open more, and only a dozen or so new positive cases in the last two weeks. Very small town.
    However, the other direction - into the more closed county, everything is closed and people are being very cautious. This is an area with a whole lot more people than our little town, and they've had some 800 new positive cases in the last couple of weeks. They are scheduled to stay closed for the moment. Very large town.

My problem is this: if very small town is open, and very large town is closed, and they're only 40 minutes or so apart - I expect we're going to get a huge surge of people from the more infected area to get haircuts, go to a gym, go shopping, ect.... and then we'll end up with a lot more infections. And there is nothing that can be done about it.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I live in a blue area with a large Asian/Indian population. Around here people are taking things very seriously, though of course you do see a little grumbling online, but interestingly it’s the white folks who are complaining, as PP said. I think Asians are more conscious and even before this happened you would see some Asians walking around with masks. It’s partly a cultural thing.
    My friend has seen people playing Bball. I’ve hardly ventured out, but I know my particular neighborhood is very serious about SIP and, when we walk around the neighborhood, half the people are wearing masks, though we opted not to wear them since we are able to distance quite easily. I am guessing my neighborhood is probably one of the most careful. I have heard of problems on the trails, so they had to close down some trails on the weekends.
    The other day we finally went into TJs for the first time, in my case, and everyone was wearing a mask properly and distancing as much as possible. I am a little nervous about this memorial day weekend, because i know people will want to get out and about. I am now at the stage where I’m OK with going out as long as we take proper precautions. A couple of my friends have suggested that we meet in a parking lot and distance. That is now allowed in our county… Not sure how that is going to look. I’m really surprised dd hasn’t asked to meet with her friends- we are all very careful. If she asked to do the car distancing, I would allow it as they are all very responsible. DS is happy chatting indoors Lol
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    I'm in a hotspot and see decent compliance, although I think people are getting sloppy.

I totally understand the angst to open things up again. What I don't understand is the unwillingness to take protective measures when doing so. So people want to open AND not wear masks, social distance, reduce capacity, gather in large numbers. I just don't understand that. Why not start to re-open AND do the things that have been asked of your. It is not rocket science to understand you lessen the risk when you stand farther away from someone or don't bump into a lot of people at once.
    Yes!! I just don’t understand the mentality.

I love in a very red area and no one is wearing masks and spouting ridiculous comments. The people complaining aren’t those who are in financial trouble or without jobs. The only ones that I know wearing masks are those that lean blue. I try to not stereo type but that’s really what I’m seeing here. I’m tired of hearing people say they need to complain and talk to the mayor, etc about decisions made to protect our citizens.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m in London, hard hit but now in the best shape within the UK (we went 24hrs without any new cases recently!). Very compliant through the lockdown but now very little mask wearing. It’s encouraged, especially on public transportation, but not required. I read today that 29 London bus drivers have died of COVID. And yet the busses pass by my front window all day long and I can see lots of people without masks on them. Makes me so sad. I get not worrying about yourself, but these poor bus drivers are exposed all day long. Put a damn mask on to protect them! That said, I don’t see the same degree of whining here, but I have a pretty small circle of friends.

Nothing has challenged my libertarian leanings like this global pandemic. If ever there were reason to temporarily abridge some personal liberties, this seems a reasonable time. I think it’s time to carefully reopen for the sake of people’s livelihoods and survival but I also think many are mistaken if they think this was ever a binary choice between lives and the economy. The economy would have been ravaged by this virus with or without a lockdown. I have a lot of right wing friends on FB and their dismissal of the severity of this disease is shocking and infuriating to me. I’m a former actuary by trade so I spend a lot of time digging into the studies re fatality rates. This is nothing like the flu. And don’t even get me started on the conspiracy theories. I sat through that Bakersfield clowns’ video with a spreadsheet banging my head on the wall over their absurd “math”. But worse than any of this is the refusal to wear masks. It breaks my heart and sickens me that these friends of mine can’t be bothered to help protect the lives of people with public facing jobs. Rights, schmights! Just be the Christian you claim to be and put on a damn mask! It’ll protect you from big brother’s facial recognition surveillance!

I was telling a friend who’d asked about people in London today that if today’s Americans had to live through the Blitz, they’d probably be refusing to turn their lights off at night to prevent the Nazi’s from bombing their neighborhoods, because it was a violation of their constitutional liberties.

From my angle, the divide appears largely political, red v blue. Or rather hard-core red versus everyone else because I also have plenty of Republican friends taking this very seriously. I hesitate to say this part, but the other common thread amongst the most outrageous posts in my FB feed, is they are almost all from Mormons which I find very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

From my angle, the divide appears largely political, red v blue. Or rather hard-core red versus everyone else because I also have plenty of Republican friends taking this very seriously. I hesitate to say this part, but the other common thread amongst the most outrageous posts in my FB feed, is they are almost all from Mormons which I find very disappointing.

Practicing member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints here and I am sad to say, this is my observation as well. I mean, I know a lot of people in my religion that are complying and trying really hard to be considerate of others but almost without exception the ones in my FB feed that are flouting the rules and calling this a hoax are my fellow Mormons. It is disheartening for me and I fundamentally do not understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I’m in London, hard hit but now in the best shape within the UK (we went 24hrs without any new cases recently!). Very compliant through the lockdown but now very little mask wearing. It’s encouraged, especially on public transportation, but not required. I read today that 29 London bus drivers have died of COVID. And yet the busses pass by my front window all day long and I can see lots of people without masks on them. Makes me so sad. I get not worrying about yourself, but these poor bus drivers are exposed all day long. Put a damn mask on to protect them! That said, I don’t see the same degree of whining here, but I have a pretty small circle of friends.

Nothing has challenged my libertarian leanings like this global pandemic. If ever there were reason to temporarily abridge some personal liberties, this seems a reasonable time. I think it’s time to carefully reopen for the sake of people’s livelihoods and survival but I also think many are mistaken if they think this was ever a binary choice between lives and the economy. The economy would have been ravaged by this virus with or without a lockdown. I have a lot of right wing friends on FB and their dismissal of the severity of this disease is shocking and infuriating to me. I’m a former actuary by trade so I spend a lot of time digging into the studies re fatality rates. This is nothing like the flu. And don’t even get me started on the conspiracy theories. I sat through that Bakersfield clowns’ video with a spreadsheet banging my head on the wall over their absurd “math”. But worse than any of this is the refusal to wear masks. It breaks my heart and sickens me that these friends of mine can’t be bothered to help protect the lives of people with public facing jobs. Rights, schmights! Just be the Christian you claim to be and put on a damn mask! It’ll protect you from big brother’s facial recognition surveillance!

I was telling a friend who’d asked about people in London today that if today’s Americans had to live through the Blitz, they’d probably be refusing to turn their lights off at night to prevent the Nazi’s from bombing their neighborhoods, because it was a violation of their constitutional liberties.

Actually I just agree with your whole post. Should have quoted all of it. I too feel like this is a bit like the blitz in WW2. I feel like as a country we're only as strong as our will to help each other out.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast