Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Another "would you go?" thread

We live in the Midwest and have been sheltering in place for quite a while now. Summer camps, summer school, pools, beaches etc. have all been closed for the summer. We have a family vacation with extended family from Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Florida coming up the third week of June. We would all be staying in one large house together and we've been doing this every summer for 25 years. I do not think we should go. My husband and our girls (11, 13 and 15) do not agree with me. We typically drive and split the drive into two days. We've considered flying, but the area we are going to (a barrier island with a population of less than 3,000) is not accessible via direct flight. I am fairly certain that none of my relatives will be taking social distancing seriously at all based on conversations we've had. Would you go and why or why not?
    Last edited by athompson; 05-22-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Default Another "would you go?" thread

No way, with people coming from those locations and from that many different locations, and wide range of locations. And too big of a group. With all of you needing to travel, that is a huge increased risk. No way. My teens wouldn’t get a vote as their brains aren’t formed enough to make that kind of a decision. Though my husband is more likely to want to bend quarantine than I am, my husband said “no way!” when read the scenario. This year would be a pass. I would want everyone to stay healthy and regroup next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 05-22-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by athompson View Post
    I am fairly certain that none of my relatives will be taking social distancing seriously at all based on conversations we've had.
    Based on this sentence alone, I would not. If they want to get together, that would be fine with me. I'd send my best wishes and tell everyone I hope to see them all next summer.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    No way, with people coming from those locations and from that many different locations, and wide range of locations. And too big of a group. With all of you needing to travel, that is a huge increased risk. No way. My teens wouldn’t get a vote as their brains aren’t formed enough to make that kind of a decision. Though my husband is more likely to want to bend quarantine than I am, my husband said “no way!” when read the scenario. This year would be a pass. I would want everyone to stay healthy and regroup next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely agree, even without the added likelihood that at least some of them have not been following social distancing etc. Those states are not particularly low-risk areas! And add to all that, a destination on a barrier island that may not have ready access to high quality health care. Without a doubt, all these add up to a big NO to me.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it is too many geographical areas involved. Imagine if it somehow spread at your reunion. You'd have little hotspots starting up in so many areas! I think its time for a virtual meet-up this year. Hopefully there are other ways to see some of the rest of the world without the threat of so much spread!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It would seriously pain me, but I'd be a "no". Several of the states you listed that your relatives are coming from are notorious for not being very careful with COVID19 precautions. Especially if you think your relatives from those states aren't very serious about social distancing -- it's too big a risk, in my opinion. I live in one of those "fully open" States you have relatives coming from -- I ran into a sporting goods store today to grab a pair of shoes for DD (as her only pair just got a giant hole in them!) and I was shocked -- I was one of only a handful of people wearing a mask (not even employees had masks on) and most of the shoppers were full families browsing and hanging out together. No social distancing. So if your extended family isn't serious about it, that's what you're exposing your family to.

Also consider how you'd feel if you're at this vacation house together and the rest of your family wants to go out and eat at restaurants, hang out in places where social distancing isn't possible, etc. Would you be uncomfortable being in the same house with them? I would!

This is a cruddy decision to have to make for sure, but that's where I'd fall.
    Lizi

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another no, while recognizing how difficult of a situation it is. Agree that others both not taking social distancing seriously and coming from so many different areas are strong reasons to say no.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another no. That would be too close and if any of the family members are higher risk, I’d be so worried that they would get sick.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Absolutely not.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes. We have opened up youth sports and summer camps here. I said in another thread my sister and 2 nieces are flying down to my house in Florida in 3 weeks. She’s nurse manager of 2 ERs in PA My nephew is flying in from Nc also no one here is worried we will be traveling to the Dominican in July life must start to go on at some point
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast