Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is the rental even available? I thought all the barrier islands were closed to outsiders until a later phase?

I would be a very very sad 'no'. I do suppose it depends on where in these states they are - some areas of Fl are relatively clear - others are huge problems. I could have sworn I saw an interview tonight about hospitals in GA running out of beds because of huge increases?

On the news tonight they were cautioning that when you invite someone over, its as if you'd invited everyone else they've been with in the last 2 weeks. If your relatives havent been staying home, you run the risk of being in a whole world of hurt. think about the families that went to reunions and funerals in March and ended up spreading it through the family AnD bringing it back to their communities.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Unfortunately I would be a hard no. If this trip is super important to you, I would consider going if we had our own rental home and could interact during outside activities with everyone. That's a tough spot for you.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

It’ll be a hard no from me. Too many states and # of people. You’ve to consider all the people each person in your family & extended have been in contact too prior the trip.

Also, would even things be open on the barrier island? Just because if the officials decide to open island to non residents, would things like restaurants, pools, beach, etc be open or with lots of restrictions in place? How much fun is that? Drive over 2 days to essentially stay in house and deal with takeouts, cooking at home? Our shore is very popular to the residents in my state, and while it is opening up this weekend. But it’s with a ton of restrictions, that I likely will cancel our annual vacation in August if it still remains in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Absolutely no way!

If the island is in the south, most things will be open, so I wouldn’t worry about that aspect. How much do you enjoy it op? If it was one of the highlights of your year typically, and no one in your immediate family is high risk, I would go.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    If the island is in the south, most things will be open, so I wouldn’t worry about that aspect. How much do you enjoy it op? If it was one of the highlights of your year typically, and no one in your immediate family is high risk, I would go.
    I very much agree with this.

I also agree that we need to go back to a sort of real life at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m noticing a trend in the answers where I can predict what everyone is going to say :-) There’s no way I would do this. First of all, they are coming from places that are not taking this seriously and they are not social distancing. We don’t know for sure how bad things are Or will be by that time. I’m not even sure people on the barrier island would want visitors from all over, if they think it through. What if they bring the virus there and they don’t have the medical facilities to deal with it? I mean it’s terrible for places that rely on tourism, but places like this could turn out to be hotspots. If one person in the group is infected, the virus can travel back to Your individual states. I would have considered it, possibly, if it was just your family and you were being responsible, But it wouldn’t be so much fun.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I cancelled out of my family vacation with 6 families in a cabin in late June, all families take this very seriously and have been diligent about social distancing. But we are all coming from hot spot areas, and going to a state with a 14 day quarantine for visitors. My parents are high risk due to ago alone, nevermind some other health issues, and there are other family members with risk factors. We are considering our beach vacation South in August and meeting my in laws. Only two families, a little more time to see how opening up is impacting the spread.

I agree that like needs to go back to some normal, but 25 people in a single house, who haven't been social distancing would be too risky for me.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for all of your responses so far. It's definitely a hard no for me. I am just having trouble because I am completely outnumbered here. Yes, the kids don't get a vote. It's my husband that I am having trouble communicating with about this. He has been completely on board with social distancing, keeping the kids home etc., but this trip is huge for him. I know we shouldn't go, but I'd just like us all to be on the same page and not end up feeling like the bad guy.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by athompson View Post
    Thanks for all of your responses so far. It's definitely a hard no for me. I am just having trouble because I am completely outnumbered here. Yes, the kids don't get a vote. It's my husband that I am having trouble communicating with about this. He has been completely on board with social distancing, keeping the kids home etc., but this trip is huge for him. I know we shouldn't go, but I'd just like us all to be on the same page and not end up feeling like the bad guy.
    I’m sorry you’re feeling like the bad guy. Maybe with time DH will come around and you won’t carry the burden on your own.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast