Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Things are different many places It’s considered community spread which means it can be picked up anywhere or nowhere Things are looking more normal here every day
    The virus didn’t go away. You might have some normalcy now but it could come at a cost. Community spread because people are treating life as usual...only takes one person to bring it to the community. Makes me nervous to hear people acting like the virus is gone and life can resume. I’m not saying it makes sense to keep things in lockdown long term but I think common sense about the virus should apply. Avoiding crowds being the biggest one. Wear a mask when you can’t be more than 6’ apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The virus didn’t go away. You might have some normalcy now but it could come at a cost. Community spread because people are treating life as usual...only takes one person to bring it to the community. Makes me nervous to hear people acting like the virus is gone and life can resume. I’m not saying it makes sense to keep things in lockdown long term but I think common sense about the virus should apply. Avoiding crowds being the biggest one. Wear a mask when you can’t be more than 6’ apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    And this, along with the logistics of traveling that far, is why we just turned down a free vacation with extended family next month. We live in an area where masks and social distancing are the norm, but the vacation is in a place where they are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    And this, along with the logistics of traveling that far, is why we just turned down a free vacation with extended family next month. We live in an area where masks and social distancing are the norm, but the vacation is in a place where they are not.

I’m with you. It would take a lot for me to be out of driving distance from my home and more importantly my hospital. Partly is I know what our statistics for Covid cases look like and I really don’t want me or a family member stuck somewhere if we happened to get sick there. (I’m not even saying we would pick it up on the vacation.). We are renting a single home on Cape Cod that is waking distance to the beach for a long weekend after school is done to celebrate. It will allow my MIL free reign of the house since we will be gone. We won’t be going to Provincetown like we usually do or sit down restaurants. We will get take out and socially distance on the beach. We have a place for a week in August, but so got to keep my fingers crossed that the residents of our state don’t screw this up or NH or Maine doesn’t peak. Then I will be back in surge mode and no vacation. I’m writing off late fall as miserable at work.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Things are different many places It’s considered community spread which means it can be picked up anywhere or nowhere Things are looking more normal here every day
    This is what scares me. Normal means the virus is everywhere, people are no longer taking precautions and the most vulnerable people can get terribly sick. While the rest of the world goes about their business, the vulnerable will go off and die. But hey, the strong will survive so what’s to worry about?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Wow! There is no way a nurse manager of ERs here could get away with that. We aren’t even allowed to take vacation time until the end of June. If she wasn’t out of a job here she who at the very least lose all respect of her staff. Things must be very different there.
    Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    This is what scares me. Normal means the virus is everywhere, people are no longer taking precautions and the most vulnerable people can get terribly sick. While the rest of the world goes about their business, the vulnerable will go off and die. But hey, the strong will survive so what’s to worry about?
    Terrifying. I'm seriously astounded at the way people think the pandemic has either ended or won't affect them. I know it's risk perception but we, as a family, are trying hard to follow safe practices to protect the greater community.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    It's a very real fact that people are dying b/c of the lockdown restrictions as well. The reactions and precautions to manage this pandemic cannot be such that more life is taken because of those actions than the virus itself.

My neighbor's mom for instance hasn't been able to get to the doctor for months (her appt was canceled in March) and finally was seen last week for a colonoscopy b/c of internal bleeding. She's has colon cancer. How many people have put off screening, follow ups, testing? Suicides are up, overdoses are up, domestic and child abuse is up. These are very real issues that also have to be weighed against potential death caused by virus that has a very high survival rate. Are those lives not important as well?

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    It's a very real fact that people are dying b/c of the lockdown restrictions as well. The reactions and precautions to manage this pandemic cannot be such that more life is taken because of those actions than the virus itself.

My neighbor's mom for instance hasn't been able to get to the doctor for months (her appt was canceled in March) and finally was seen last week for a colonoscopy b/c of internal bleeding. She's has colon cancer. How many people have put off screening, follow ups, testing? Suicides are up, overdoses are up, domestic and child abuse is up. These are very real issues that also have to be weighed against potential death caused by virus that has a very high survival rate. Are those lives not important as well?
    I will agree with you that we are losing people because of the lockdown. And much of that is a function of our very broken system that was in place prior to the pandemic. Healthcare systems are trying to open up now and will hopefully begin to help people. Ask why they were forced to shut down in the first place - to conserve PPE and allow the development of policies to keep patients safe. Could hospitals and our country have maintained PPE and had a better pandemic plan prior to Covid? Could we have a better mental healthcare infrastructure? But that's also a huge discussion of itself.

So, my issue with opening the way we are is that society seems to just be done with the virus. It's here, it's terrible, and we should respect that it will kill a certain percentage and disable more. Not all survivors will return to their previous level of health. I'm actually for opening to an extent but, in my mind, that requires our citizens to acknowledge their responsibility to fellow humans. Things are different, act differently. Stay home if you don't feel well or may have been exposed. Wear a mask. Yes, even my kids will wear them if they enter a building. No, we don't like them.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4