Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Can I hear from any others who don't want their kids to attend in person school?

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat as me. I know there are many who don't want to think about this, feel fine about sending their kids back to school in the fall, or are fine with waiting to see where things are. I respect your point of view, but it won't help to be told that I am wrong. I am looking for support from anyone else who feels they do not want to send their kid(s) to school in the fall, especially if your kids really want to go.

We are doing well in my county and state, and I think it is unlikely we will be all on-line in the fall. I do understand the hardships involved for some related to on-line learning and this is not about one size fits all. That said, I feel there are still too many unknowns with Covid 19. As another concern, my school district has not met rules, regulations, guidelines about other things pre-Covid 19; I just dont think they could meet regulations necessary to keep things safe. As a family, none of us fall into any high risk categories,but we do all come close to being in a high risk category in one way or another.

Additionally, dd is doing better academically with on-line learning; it works better in terms of her learning issues. Ds would definitely be better served academically in person. Nevertheless, I still dont feel okay about having them in schools.

However, they both desperately want to go back to school. Dd will be a high school senior and ds a first year high school student. It just sucks. I am not exactly looking for advice as there is no easy answer here. Just looking for others who are having a similar struggle.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm very torn also. My DS is doing better academically as well but only because I can stand over his shoulder and remind him to keep working every ten minutes. But he greatly misses (and needs!) The social aspect. I don't have great faith in our school being able to create a clean environment because last fall I asked his teacher and the principal both if it would be possible to allow the kids to wash their hands before lunch and I basically got the cold shoulder from both of them. Our legislators are also currently making cuts to our state education budget. Awesome.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I would definitely prefer not to send my son, but I have to go back to work (at the office, I'm working from home now) and I will have to have child care for him and my will-be 3 year old so I don't really have a choice...
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Can I hear from any others who don't want their kids to attend in person school?

I asked my DS, he’ll be in 10 grade. He hates being home. He needs his friends. His mental health is equally important. He’s also not learning as well at home. We’re not high risk, so I have less concerns about sending him back. He’s old enough he could stay home while we go to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm thinking about it. DD1 esp will be devastated. She really wants to go back to school. She misses her friends. But, she's really not being well served by this model.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m not sending mine back in the fall. I’ve already decided I’m homeschooling them. I don’t think it will be safe at all. And I don’t want to have to worry about Covid every time one of them gets sick. They get sick a lot during the school year despite being really good about hand washing and doing everything we can. I love our school but hate distance learning! I can’t handle doing distance learning after this year is out so I’m switching to homeschooling.

My kids weren’t thrilled with the idea but it’s sounding more and more like schools will look much different anyway. So I’ve been telling them about all the fun things we will get to do bc we are homeschooling. Plus, I think the schools will close again and then all their friends will be home too so it won’t be too different.

We all have to do what we’re comfortable with. They also know that
    if things change significantly and I feel like it’s safe to send them back later in the year than I will if they want. Safety if my top priority though.

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m very concerned about sending my high risk son back to school. My district can’t even get us soap and paper towels before this, not sure how they would ever keep up with the safety and cleaning protocols. I would love to have my kids back in school, but do not feel safe about it.

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids are not doing well with online school. They both want to return to school and if schools open in the fall I'll be sending them. Specially since I'll be working.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

As of now, I'm not comfortable sending my kids. I'm waiting to make a final decision until we know more and how the schools plan to keep kids safer. Honestly, I don't have great faith in their ability nor the other kids/families. As we are finding that the virus appears to spread most person to person through the air rather than surfaces, I'm not sure you can separate kids enough to make a difference. This virus doesn't look like it is disappearing anytime soon and I would anticipate future school closings as it is.

We have had a really rough week at home. It rained all week, puberty and quarantine do not match well, and I have hit a wall so their ringleader wasn't feeling it either. It makes me question my stance but not enough to change my mind right now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I think with high school age kids it will be really difficult to keep them home if school is back in session and they want to go back. Younger kids would be an easier battle.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast