Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I'm struggling with this decision as well. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Unfortunately DH falls into a high-risk category, so we've been doing everything we can to keep him safe and minimize our risk. I don't think in 10 weeks, things will have changed enough for me to feel comfortable sending them back to school. DS1 starts high school in the fall, and I can't see myself homeschooling him. He's been doing fine with distance learning. It's not ideal but we are supplementing with online courses and private tutoring. DS2 will be in 5th grade, so I don't worry about him as much. They are both introverts, and while they miss their friends, they aren't chomping at the bit to go back to school. They also both understand the risks involved and want to keep their dad safe.

I just hope our school district will give parents the option of distance learning if that's what we feel is in the best interests of our families.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

It's so hard. I just signed up for an information webinar for our local online school. It's part of our district. DS1 has taken one class from them and DS2 is interested anyway. Lots of people use it full time so it's doable.

DS1 is supposed to start the IB diploma program which can't be done fully online. But it's a small program and most of the kids have the same classes. There are only a couple choices. So that might work okay. If not we would revamp and do AP instead and do much at home.

DD is struggling with the at home learning, but maybe if it was an official program she'd do better. I don't know. There would need to be access to friends and fun things for her.

I think DS2 would be okay online. He needs friends though too.

Right now I go back and forth about whether I'd send them or not. It changes daily.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KrisM; 05-23-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    Kris

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If it is mandated again next year I will do it because it is required, but in general I would rather have my kids in school. Dd1 (14, freshman in fall) could continue to function as she has been, but she wouldn’t like it. She wants a normal high school experience and she is looking forward to making a new set of friends in our new city. Dd2 (10, 5th in fall) on the other hand I think finally gets distance learning (this was her best week so far), but it took her a month to get used to it; but she still required a whole lot of reminders. Dd2 needs help with reading, writing, and grammar comprehension and I am not certified to do that. She also needs more socialization, which she isn’t getting from being stuck at home; and TBH Dd1 needs more than group chats, and Instagram.

TBH I think if you have a high schooler has been home schooled before I think it will be easier than having to just jump into something 100% new with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m Also torn. DS will be a senior. I asked him and he said he likes it like this. I always suspected he would be a good candidate for homeschooling but never had the guts to try it… He’s able to learn on his own, so this way he has a lot more free time to do what he wants :-) he said if everyone else is going, then he wants to go back, but if it’s just select people going he’d rather stay home. I’m hoping by then we have more information about the inflammatory syndrome, though of course I do realize it’s rare.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I mean, I’m a weird one to answer because we have always homeschooled. But the truth is, health and safety have always played in to my decision. I just don’t feel confident that our local schools would handle my children’s well being the way I want them to. This coming Fall, we had seriously considered switching to a small private school, and that is no longer on the table. I’m just not comfortable considering that with all the unknowns. So if we were in public school right now, chances are we’d be home next year. As it is, homeschooling again and hoping that our hybrid will be able continue since we have a lot of the safe practices already in place just by default (smaller classes, off/on schedule, parents keep sick kids home).

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don’t wish to take any risks or risk any exposure at all, so I’m failing to understand how schools can reopen and we can still avoid risk if everything resumes like a regular school year. But, for my kids specifically, if it’s a choice between getting or transmitting this infection and not resuming a normal school year and doing online schooling, I definitely pick the later. One academic year for my already ahead of grade kids does not mean anything for the grades they are in middle and elementary schools.
    While I’m sure I can fill the academic gap very well with online options and we have the privilege of being able to do so , homeschooling is never on the table for us, they need the socializing and interaction with peers, no question in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We're in the same boat. DH is high risk. DD has been thriving with sleeping later, working at her own pace, and having way more free time during the day since she can knock out the required work in a few hours rather than a full day. Her anxiety is way down and her happiness is up. Our relationship is so much better. She's a high performing student and self guided, so the academic part would be easy to do from home. She wants to go back to school for the friends/clubs aspect of it, but also acknowledges that she would be super stressed about bringing it home to dad and the hours of school and wasted time suck the life out of her. Honestly, she has a madatory class called "advisory" where they don't and aren't allowed to do anything. Ther is no curriculum to it and they aren't allowed to work on coursework/other schoolwork since the teacher thinks if they are on a laptop they are playing games when every other class has all assignments on google classroom. Ugh.

We live in an area that's a hot spot and businesses are violating governors orders and reopening with zero restrictions. We'll know more closer to the end of summer but if asked right now there's no way we could send her. She did some online learning through the school district even before all this hit and they have a full curriculum available for free. Is it the same as the HS experience? Not by a long shot. But she's young enough we could re-evaluate again in a year, or even at the next semester. We just don't have enough information, on anything related to the pandemic. It's a systematic nationwide failure.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It is simply not sustainable for my family to continue “online learning”. My DH picked up all the slack for the kids’ school work and technical issues, but only because he was able to WFH. His employer is re-opening on June 1 and he must be back in the office, but school is over for us as of yesterday. I work 40 minutes away as an essential employee and therefore must continue whether Covid will impact the population in the Fall or not. 3 out of my 4 need school and their professional teachers and/or coaches. Yes, my children will be returning in the Fall if that is an option. We are not equipped to teach our children nor do we desire to.

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    It is simply not sustainable for my family to continue “online learning”. My DH picked up all the slack for the kids’ school work and technical issues, but only because he was able to WFH. His employer is re-opening on June 1 and he must be back in the office, but school is over for us as of yesterday. I work 40 minutes away as an essential employee and therefore must continue whether Covid will impact the population in the Fall or not. 3 out of my 4 need school and their professional teachers and/or coaches. Yes, my children will be returning in the Fall if that is an option. We are not equipped to teach our children nor do we desire to.
    That is us too. Our jobs allowed us to have ability to WFH but due to the nature of our fields, we became much more busier to respond COVID 19. Add to the layer of literally having to teach and be active participant in our Kindergarten kid, it’s just wasn’t sustainable for us. In order for us to manage our workload, we’ve been up much earlier before the kids, working past 8pm once kids are in bed. I’m frankly exhausted more than ever, and can’t wait for our lives to return to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My older 2 are the same ages as yours- rising 9th and 12th. I think they both really, really want to go to school in the fall and I don't think I would be able to say no to that. Especially the oldest as he adores his school and would be devastated to miss his last year there. My daughter is looking forward to making new friends and I think it would be hard for her to take a year off, but more doable. My youngest is going in to 3rd, would be easiest to keep him home but he is chomping at the bit to go back too. None of us are particularly high risk though, except dh due to age. But he is still going to work, so...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast