Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies and discussion. It is so difficult. I would love to continue discussing this with people who are feeling they won't be sending their kids to in person school as well as those who are really torn. For me it is a very real possibility that I may not send mine back.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Can I hear from any others who don't want their kids to attend in person school?

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks for the replies and discussion. It is so difficult. I would love to continue discussing this with people who are feeling they won't be sending their kids to in person school as well as those who are really torn. For me it is a very real possibility that I may not send mine back.
    That is such an amazing thing to be able to do. I am in awe of those who think or know they can do this I often think of Dd2 didn’t have her learning and adhd challenges I would be way more open to at home distance schooling, but I am pretty sure that my DH would talk me out of it as well, but at least being able to think about it would be a nice option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-23-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    That is such an amazing thing to be able to do. I am in awe of those who think or know they can do this I often think of Dd2 didn’t have her learning and adhd challenges I would be way more open to at home distance schooling, but I am pretty sure that my DH would talk me out of it as well, but at least being able to think about it would be a nice option.

I know not everyone can do it, and I would not have been able to do it when my kids were younger. My daughter does have very unique learning needs, but she is not served well in our public schools and on-line learning could be better for her if it was the right program. My best to your family.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

Every child and family is different. We’ve started IEP meetings, and feedback is vastly different. One parent of a student loved what I’ve sent, understands it all, and is implementing it with her son, who is difficult to engage. Another family is struggling more and their daughter is easier for me to get engaged. I would’ve thought it would be the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm in the really torn group. I don't think my child is getting much out of the "distance learning", and I'm the one who started the bitching post about the stupid things they are expected to do, like the scavenger hunt and talent show. At least here, there needs to be a lot more schoolwork and a lot less screwing around.

However - DH is high risk, and can work from home most of the time. I'm concerned about DS bringing it home from school, as well as getting it himself. DS is 11, and I think could reasonably stay home alone for a hour or two at a crack if needed, though he never has. There is no way we could work any kind of hybrid/rotating days, and if that happens here, we my have to keep him home purely for logistics. We must be able to transport our child to/from school, otherwise he has to walk over three miles to the bus stop - I won't do that. (We live off of a private road, and the school buses refuse to run on private roads.) Asking any employer to work with wacky rotating days is hopeless - with so many people out of work, they simply go on to the next person who doesn't have to deal with that.

I'm still in the wait and see camp right now - we still just don't know enough, and I hope there will more confirmed info before we need to decide. I'm also hoping the schools will make a decision far enough in advance to allow some time for us to decide. And, of course, if I can manage to get hired someplace and have a schedule to work with.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If our schools open, my kids are going. Our leaders are following the direction of nationally renowned experts from our major medical schools. They are proceeding cautiously with the good of all people in mind. Thankfully we aren’t led by a bunch of yahoos pandering to our administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    If our schools open, my kids are going. Our leaders are following the direction of nationally renowned experts from our major medical schools. They are proceeding cautiously with the good of all people in mind. Thankfully we aren’t led by a bunch of yahoos pandering to our administration.

Our governor is one of those pandering yahoos, so I don’t trust our state government to do what is safe. We never even had a stay at home order, and churches have been open for a few weeks even though our metro area is a hotspot. It’s scary.

I’ll definitely send DD (to 9th grade), but I might homeschool my boys who will be in 6th and 1st. Both of them constantly put their fingers in their mouths and noses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Every child and family is different. We’ve started IEP meetings, and feedback is vastly different. One parent of a student loved what I’ve sent, understands it all, and is implementing it with her son, who is difficult to engage. Another family is struggling more and their daughter is easier for me to get engaged. I would’ve thought it would be the opposite.

Distance learning works really well for dd who has auditory processing issues. Ds really struggles with not having peers around even for academic reasons. Seems they do a lot of group learning at school and , not only does he like this, he is used to bouncing things off of peers and TBH, I think he has somehow stayed under the radar in terms of not being the accountable for producing his own work. Nevertheless, I think we can make it work forboth to do on-line schooling.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I trust our county and I trust our two schools specifically to reduce risk as much as possible if they are able to re-open. I'm also very worried about the negative affects of being out of school so long on my kids. So, if they open, my kids will be there. I can absolutely understand how it could be stressful in many situations though.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

At this point, I'm on the fence with school being back to in-person. I'm struggling to see how schools could implement all of the precautions that will likely be needed in the fall. I think its possible with high school age kids, and maybe even middle school kids, but I don't see it being remotely possible with elementary and younger. I am liking the idea of schools offering distance learning as an option.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast