Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are remote-learning next year. The people who attend our school are acting like this isn’t serious. They are protesting the closing of our churches so our entire family- kids too- have decided it’s safest not to be with these peoples’ kids all day, 5 days a week. We are waiting for a proven anti-viral, vaccine or more serious contact tracing and testing to become available before we let our kids go back to school. The kids admit this will be hard on friendships and social lives but they also agree it’s important for our health.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Oops, double post
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DC go to a year round school. We are waiting to hear what is happening with summer session. If they open, I am fairly certain we will send them, but I know others who will not. Thankfully, it is a very small school and I trust that they will do everything they CAN to keep the kids and staff safe. However, as with any environment, they can only do so much! Honestly, I am hoping they do virtual summer school due to the risk, however, another part of me know that these are kids that NEED each other and the structure of school! ARGHHHHH!!!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Distance learning works really well for dd who has auditory processing issues. Ds really struggles with not having peers around even for academic reasons. Seems they do a lot of group learning at school and , not only does he like this, he is used to bouncing things off of peers and TBH, I think he has somehow stayed under the radar in terms of not being the accountable for producing his own work. Nevertheless, I think we can make it work forboth to do on-line schooling.
    It doesn’t work for my DS. He hates it, and it’s a struggle to get it finished as he has no motivation. I know the Fall online learning will be more rigorous- we were thrown into this with no notice - but I think he’ll struggle with it. He needs the in-person teaching and interaction with peers.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I feel the same way, OP. I mean, my kids would scream and fuss but I just don't feel comfortable if pandemic wise things are the way they are right now. I am also more cautious than my DH who is more inclined to trust these decision makers who are themselves caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to be the guinea pig who tests out which side of the herd immunity theory I end up on.

for Sandy Hook

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I feel the same way, OP. I mean, my kids would scream and fuss but I just don't feel comfortable if pandemic wise things are the way they are right now. I am also more cautious than my DH who is more inclined to trust these decision makers who are themselves caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to be the guinea pig who tests out which side of the herd immunity theory I end up on.
    Absolute agree citymama! I have decided they can scream and fuss about my decision about this, and I am okay with that as it could be a lot worse. Now I have to decide what to direction to go in as far as on-line schooling...
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m considering keeping them out because I think it’s inevitable that some of their public schooling (5th & 8th) will be virtual next year. Ironically, I’m looking into the various cyber charters in my state, even though my main problem is that online learning is not working well for either of my kids. I think there are better ways to do virtual school than how our district has been able to implement “crisis schooling.” Even though I understand the limitations that are in place now, it’s not going to work if online learning is the same next year. I fear they won’t be able to invest in developing “best practices” in online schooling or make significant changes before next year.

Both kids have a GIEP and the lack of rigor In At Home Learning is problematic. One of them is very amotivated. They need more instruction that’s live, synchronous learning and opportunities for collaboration.

They both have really strong teachers this year, but the classroom teachers’ hands are tied as to how they’re allowed to interact with students and present the material.

I will probably agree with our district if they determine that it’s not safe enough for our kids to be at school, in the building, as full-time students. I just don’t think that they’ll have a new system of virtual teaching in place by the fall, utilizing best practices.

I’ve heard that classes in the high school remained demanding and required effort, so my hope is that at least 8th grade classes could be like that next year. I hate the idea of taking money out of our public school for a cyber charter, but I may need to.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm just curious, are you guys going to continue dramatic social distancing through next school year? I am probably over-simplifying but I kind of feel like if we are out in the world, we are likely to get it....I guess I am just thinking even as homeschoolers (which we are already), we do so many things out of the home I still expect we will get it. Even at a modified level of socializing....I doubt we will avoid it...it's just a matter of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I'm just curious, are you guys going to continue dramatic social distancing through next school year? I am probably over-simplifying but I kind of feel like if we are out in the world, we are likely to get it....I guess I am just thinking even as homeschoolers (which we are already), we do so many things out of the home I still expect we will get it. Even at a modified level of socializing....I doubt we will avoid it...it's just a matter of time?
    Despite the Covidiots in our area acting like this is all a big joke, we haven’t seen a large increase in cases. Our area is actively testing too so I’m feeling a little more brave. We are taking calculated risks to meet with others outside, attend outdoor masses, etc. But experts are saying that the virus will likely rear it’s head again this fall and so we will more severely socially distance ourselves. Dh and I are both at risk. We will stop being cautious when a proven antiviral medication or vaccine is made public.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-27-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Despite the Covidiots in our area acting like this is all a big joke, we haven’t seen a large increase in cases. Our area is actively testing too so I’m feeling a little more brave. We are taking calculated risks to meet with others outside, attend outdoor masses, etc. But experts are saying that the virus will likely rear it’s head again this fall and so we will more severely socially distance ourselves. Dh and I are both at risk. We will stop being cautious when a proven antiviral medication or vaccine is made public.
    Gotcha. That makes sense. I wish our church would meet outdoors. I’m so nervous about the singing-spread, not sure when I will be ok to go back.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast