Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sorry double post that seems to have spontaneously appeared when i wasn’t even on my phone....
    Last edited by Melaine; 05-27-2020 at 07:05 PM.

I don’t feel comfortable with my kids going back to school but I also don’t love the alternatives. I have NO idea what we will do. I think cases are going to skyrocket with the insane behavior we have been seeing from people across the nation. If that’s the case, my kids will likely not go to in-person school.

My district is considering offering both in-school and e-learning options after a parent survey revealed that up to 40% of parents would not send their children back to school in August in the current environment. One of the districts next to us has already voted to offer both options. As of now, I plan to do e-learning. I am a SAHM.

ODS has loved learning from home. He had been asking me to homeschool him. He completes his work from school and the additional work I assign before I wake up in the mornings. Then, I check his work. He meets (virtually) with a tutor twice weekly. He seems to be living his best life. I know that he does want to go to middle school because he wants to join the band. That’s it. I told him that I’m not sure if there will be band in MS next year.

YDS is 4 and due to his late birthday, he isn’t eligible to start kindergarten. I was planning to have him go to pre-K in the fall. But I definitely don’t feel comfortable with that. I started a homeschool kindergarten curriculum with him once schools closed. We will continue and, because my state has a different age cut off for first grade, I hope he can start first grade in-person for the 2021-22 school year.

Double post
    Last edited by IansMom; 06-01-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by IansMom View Post
    My district is considering offering both in-school and e-learning options after a parent survey revealed that up to 40% of parents would not send their children back to school in August in the current environment. One of the districts next to us has already voted to offer both options. As of now, I plan to do e-learning. I am a SAHM.

ODS has loved learning from home. He had been asking me to homeschool him. He completes his work from school and the additional work I assign before I wake up in the mornings. Then, I check his work. He meets (virtually) with a tutor twice weekly. He seems to be living his best life. I know that he does want to go to middle school because he wants to join the band. That’s it. I told him that I’m not sure if there will be band in MS next year.

YDS is 4 and due to his late birthday, he isn’t eligible to start kindergarten. I was planning to have him go to pre-K in the fall. But I definitely don’t feel comfortable with that. I started a homeschool kindergarten curriculum with him once schools closed. We will continue and, because my state has a different age cut off for first grade, I hope he can start first grade in-person for the 2021-22 school year.
    40%?! That’s very high. Our district has not surveyed parents (I hope they do) but I cannot imagine the number being anywhere near that high. Are there a lot of SAHP in your district?

I agree. It is high and I was surprised that so many people seemed to agree with me. Of course, all the parents of the school system didn’t respond. According to our system, approximately 65% of parents responded. Yes, there are a lot of SAHPs in my area, and many families have grandparents and other family support (unfortunately not me.). There is also an established homeschooling community here.

Double post
    Last edited by IansMom; 05-31-2020 at 11:23 PM. Reason: DP

Triple post
    Last edited by IansMom; 06-01-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: DP

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wonder if people are voting that they would homeschool in an effort to express their dissatisfaction with how distance learning has gone, rather than realistic expectations of homeschooling come fall. I am just curious if they are looking at polls that way...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6