Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It is very hard to get a clear interpretation of #s because many countries did/are not bothering to test. Other countries' numbers are suspect. Do we really believe #s from China? A country were the drs who first tried to report it suddenly 'disappeared'? How come it took so long to discover that 25-33% of people can be asymptomatic yet contagious? I have to believe that China could have figured that out faster since it started there. MAYBE if our president hadnt been a jerk and called it the China disease, they would have shared information faster?

Yes, our country is geographically too large to have a 1 size fits all policy but clear calm federal guidance early on would have helped. Having states pit against each other to out bid each other and seizing each other's orders of PPE didnt help either.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Right if we say that other factors (climate, demographics etc) matter more than the pertinent comparison for Sweden would be the other Nordic countries which it has done much worse. Obviously shutdowns are very blunt instruments.
    They are similar in geographical size but Sweden has twice the population as the other two, so more density. PA is a good comparison because similar population size and mix urban and rural.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I also know people in Japan. They didn't have the same lockdowns and even had large festivals/concerts (but they were very good about wearing masks).
    My friends in Japan did shut down..actually weeks before we did. Interesting how our anecdotes are so dissimilar!

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I did not read the links posted as I have a ton going on today, so I am not agreeing or disagreeing with them. However, I did watch an interview with Dr Fauci about memorial weekend, etc. He encouraged going out, getting exercise, but continuing to social distance and be responsible. He did not in any way indicate that we should not have stayed home. J
    I think this is a very wise course of action. Avail ourselves to continue to get out, but to be responsible while doing it. Maybe we'll find out that that moderate change to how we do business would have been enough? That will be good news. It was really hard to know. We still don't really know! But I like this option. Much more careful than before but much less restricted than the past couple of months have been. I'm not really sure why this should be so politicized? It is a very wise middle course!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I had an acquaintance living in Wuhan (US citizen). She initally said they felt safe because their understanding among their friends and coworkers was that they weren't at great risk because they didn't live in the poorest, hardest hit areas. As that turned out to be untrue, they eventually traveled away and set up house elsewhere for a several weeks. When the US announced pending travel bans from China, they came back stateside. Ironically, they landed in an area that ended up being fairly hard-hit.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    My friends in Japan did shut down..actually weeks before we did. Interesting how our anecdotes are so dissimilar!
    It's interesting. I just googled and found this article that does a good job of explaining how Japan handled it differently than most other countries.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-mass-testing

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's interesting. I just googled and found this article that does a good job of explaining how Japan handled it differently than most other countries.

My friends were locked down too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

I find the Japan example fascinating because the country has a high number of elderly and extremely high density in Tokyo which would lead one to expect them to be hard hit.

NPR had their own 10 minute interview with Fauci on Friday. It's not surprising they chose not to promote another outlet's interview. And despite the headline, I don't think what he said was that newsy. He's not saying we shouldn't have locked down, now that would have been news. But saying he agrees that it's time to open up cautiously, I don't see how that's huge news that every outlet should cover.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/22/86068...avirus-vaccine
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast