Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How much are you social distancing?

This past weekend I did my first Target pick up order and it went fine, although I still wish they would let you do actual food in your order other than chips, and soda.

Dd1 and I drove to Orange County yesterday (about 5 miles from our house) and went into Michael’s and Dicks Sporting Goods as those stores are now open in that county, but remain closed in Los Angeles County. Both stores were pretty empty. I was just happy to go into a non food or big box store. We bought some cross stitch supplies for myself and Dd1, and some art supplies for Dd2. We got Dd1 a pair of Adidas at Dick’s. We also had our first Starbucks in over two months and went through the drive thru. We also went to Vons and did our normal shopping. There was a giant line for checkout when we walked in, but in the 20 minutes it took us to shop there was no line by the time we got to checkout.

Everyone in each store was wearing a mask. I have only seen one person since mask wearing became mandatory in essential stores not wear a mask; that was a 20 something man in Home Depot about a month ago. I am surprised it hasn’t been more honestly, but grateful it hasn’t been that much of an issue.

Again I know this board isn’t representative of the bulk of the real world but I am amazed at how many people here have not left their houses in over 2 months to even just go to the store. I tried to use grocery delivery in the beginning but got impatient with the lack of spots available (there were none) so I just figured I would have to go and do the weekly shopping and even two weeks ago when I looked at Walmart pickup there was a four day wait. I went to Costco at the beginning of April (on a day it was lightly raining so there was no line), but now lines are still wrapped around the Costco and tbh since we are moving I really don’t want an abundance of Costco products in my house so I haven’t been needing to go. We do get four Marley Spoon meals delivered each week so that helps a ton as well, but kudos to those who are able to really stay at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    DH and I are starting to plan for how we can have SIL and BIL over to enjoy our pool. SIL and BIL moved to the next town over back in January to be closer to family. I feel horrible that they packed up their lives, got new jobs, all to be able to see my ILs and us and my kids only to have everything go on lock down two months later. BIL is working out of the home (and is currently under precautionary quarantine because a coworker tested positive...BILs test was neg). SIL is working from home. We thoroughly enjoy SIL and BIL...I could hang out with them all the time...and so them moving here was a real treat for us and the kids. If BIL was not working outside the home, it would be a really easy decision and planning, but since he's at increased risk of exposure, we then are too. But we have a big back yard and our pool deck is pretty spacious, plus we have a patio. So I think we could have them over, BYOB/food, and just make sure that the 6 of us are not all packed onto the deck (probably can't have more than 3 people on deck with 6ft distancing). I think we'd avoid a meal time so that we don't have to worry about shared cooking. I know we could use the social contact and so could they. I think the hardest part would be keeping the kids separated from my BIL (who's a big kid himself) in the pool as they are used to horsing around with him.
    Same here! My husband's brother and family moved here last Fall and we are so grateful to have them nearby. It's been such a bummer having to keep distance from them. We've seen them once and will probably start trying to do hang out more. We decided to let DS and his cousin play as normal since the two of them had truly not left the house much at all. DS hasn't been anywhere in weeks. Plus they are at the least risk of any of us.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH and I work FT from home. DD is an introverted teen. I have left the house about 5 times since March 12, all but one for a curbside contactless pickup sort of situation. The one time I tried to go into the local tiny hardware store, the parking lot was packed and I watched from my car as significantly more people went in than normal (it's a really really small store), at least half of whom weren't wearing masks. I drove away, not worth it.

We're doing well with the isolation. Lots of board games, puzzles, movies, gardening. DD is learning some new skills. We miss our family, but know half of them have tested positive and the other half has been hanging out with them.

ETA: we live in an area that businesses are opening against governers orders, without restrictions, and those places are being celebrated by some loud faction. I just don't get it. Nothing has changed. We don't have a treatment, we don't know nearly enough about this thing, it's too early.
    Last edited by newnana; 05-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    We're doing well with the isolation. Lots of board games, puzzles, movies, gardening. DD is learning some new skills. We miss our family, but know half of them have tested positive and the other half has been hanging out with them.

ETA: we live in an area that businesses are opening against governers orders, without restrictions, and those places are being celebrated by some loud faction. I just don't get it. Nothing has changed. We don't have a treatment, we don't know nearly enough about this thing, it's too early.
    Oh my goodness, I assume they have symptoms to get tested? Do they and other family members still not take precautions after that?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

@AnnieW625, DH went out a few times initially, but then people were not wearing masks. It was a real pain to get delivery slots, but I figured it out. And then one of our cleaner’s helpers was looking to make some money doing deliveries so we started paying her to do it. In fact, now that I’m comfortable going out, I feel kind of bad about not using her anymore. So the other day I did say yes to a Costco run – my friends and I coordinate so she goes once for all of us and makes quite a bit from what we pay her.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Oh my goodness, I assume they have symptoms to get tested? Do they and other family members still not take precautions after that?
    Yep. One came young adult back from Europe when the travel ban was put in place and came back positive with symptoms along with half the plane. The family that picked the young adult up from the airport was all masked (but they all rode in the car for an hour together because they missed her?). All were healthy under age 50 in very good shape, no pre-existing conditions, super fit. All but one got it (family count now 6).

Another family member not related to the other on this side was doing outside projects, had an accident, had to go to the ER. He was doing the projects to stay active because he felt like he had had a cold. Pre-shut down had a grandchild in the ICU with something entirely unrelated and went to visit with 12 other people. They all got it on that visit. (Counting this as family count now 18 total).

All this family interacts with all the rest of the extended family in various ways. As much as we'd love to see them, it's not an option. We can't depend on others to keep us safe, especially when we know they've been exposed.

That is really irresponsible, Newnana. So I guess their solution is to get infected and get it over with? It’s playing Russian roulette. The sick grandchild could have been infected. So I’m assuming the hospital allowed 12 people into the hospital room, which is shocking. I’m sorry you have to deal with this sort of stuff in your area. It really is shocking to me, but then I’m seeing photos from red states where people are congregating in large crowds as usual, as if to make a political statement.

Yeah, it's disheartening. These are people we deeply love and would love to hang out with outside, but I don't know how to safely do that. First thing that will happen when we pull up is their pets that we adore will jump all over us and lick us, just like everyone else that has been there.

We get that we are extremely privileged to both work and both work from home and that our kiddo is thriving in the situation, that we can have necessities delivered and are in a safe place. Are there things that would make isolation better? Sure, but we aren't suffering without them. We're really good at making do and with DHs health, we've been through way way worse. Isolating for months is cake compared to what our little family of 3 has been through.

The hospital room thing I'm not so shocked by. It was hours (literally) before the shutdown began and highly probable the kiddo (tween) wasn't going to make it. He had had major surgery to correct some congenital life-threatening issues that were getting worse due to hitting puberty. BC (before COVID), it was considered a kindness to let loved ones in, not a threat. Turns out there was a COVID-19 patient on the floor as well and, math. Over the course of the next month, those 12 all got it and spread it to those they live with.

The rest (this includes my extended fam). UGH. Yeah. It's the loud political statement folks that are making this so uncomfortable. As I stated in the thread about camps, a lot of businesses opened without restrictions against governors orders and the loud factions using this as a political rally point to not wear masks and not distance makes this harder for everyone else.

Since our extended family really doesn't get it, we just can't risk it. My Dad is talking about flying in a week from out of state to come visit and visit a customer. He was supposed to call yesterday to discuss it and never did. I have no idea what to tell him, he's exactly like the family out here. Of course we'd love to see him, he's almost 80 and while one of the most physically fit people I know (seriously, a beast), he's been carrying on since the beginning like nothing is different and... breaks my heart.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5