WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Anyone tried IKEA outdoor furniture?

Has anyone tried this Applaro furniture in the store?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/aepplar...red-s89260872/

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Has anyone tried this Applaro furniture in the store?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/aepplar...red-s89260872/
    We actually do have this set. It is not very comfortable. There were two different cushions you could pick from, we picked the thicker / firmer bottom ones and they are just way too firm. You sit down expecting a little give, ya know; and there just is none. It sits really low, so by the time you hit the seat it's like, a big jarring thunk. Maybe the thinner set would have been better.

The stain also faded a lot over the winter. (We did not bring it in, as we had a similar wood slatted table/chairs from Eddie Bauer for over a decade that we also never brought in, and it never faded like this set did. That set was real teak, this IKEA stuff just looks like teak.)

Our backyard is also ill-suited to cushions in general due to the amount of trees and tree debris we have. We back to a LOT of timber, but are soon having a few of the big nearby debris heavy trees removed. I'm hoping that makes me like the couch more. It is really attractive where we have it, but, overall no, I don't like it.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have the dining set. The finish is AWFUL. Google it, lots of Reddit threads. The instruction book says your are supposed to restrain it twice a year, cover it constantly... The stain started coming off almost right away. Sanding it down to restain is a huge effort. So I mostly just rub a new layer over the flaking finish every spring. Some posters on Reddit commented that it would be better if it came unfinished and you could stain it yourself. I agree!!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Okay, sounds like we should hold off. We have ikea indoor sofas, so ikea outdoor sofas seemed fitting...but we do want comfort and durability. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We owned it, and recently sold it on FB. The entire set is in incredibly low to the ground and uncomfortable.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    We have the dining set. The finish is AWFUL. Google it, lots of Reddit threads. The instruction book says your are supposed to restrain it twice a year, cover it constantly... The stain started coming off almost right away. Sanding it down to restain is a huge effort. So I mostly just rub a new layer over the flaking finish every spring. Some posters on Reddit commented that it would be better if it came unfinished and you could stain it yourself. I agree!!
    I couldn't even find the stupid IKEA stain when we needed it. Ended up using Cabot Autralian Oil Stain and it worked well. We did not sand. I think the color was Jerrah Brown.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    I couldn't even find the stupid IKEA stain when we needed it. Ended up using Cabot Autralian Oil Stain and it worked well. We did not sand. I think the color was Jerrah Brown.
    I bought something else from home depot that wasn't as good of a match, I will need to try that. That is how I found the Reddit threads though, I live too far from IKEA to just go buy their stain and was googling a match...

I really do like the dining set other than the stain issue. I like that we can make the table bigger when we have guests, and otherwise has been solid...

We had tried the couch set in store when we bought the dining set, and I agree the cushions are so thin and uncomfortable. We eventually ended up with a secondhand set from Craigslist, but they bought it on Wayfair. I did sand and restain (the stain came in handy!) but that was after several years. Very comfortable!

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdx/...000827525.html
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011