Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post
    IN those photos, to me it looks like they removed the wall and forgot to put in the giant island that to me that space is screaming for. That's definitely what I'd do in there.
    That’s exactly what I thought!! Sometimes real estate photos can be deceptive about room sizes etc, but in this case, it’s pretty clear what’s missing. And it wouldn’t even have to be a built-in Island — if HGTV can be believed, there are nice moveable ones.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Having a dining room is a deal breaker for me, because we entertain a lot. That being said, some don't. And I also agree that the weather in California means I would mainly be hosting guests outside anyway.

If you were redoing the space, I would see if that half wall next to the pantry cabinets is structural. If not, I would rip it out. Rearrange the kitchen area, including an island. And then put the dining table between the two rooms, without the half wall forcing it to be up against the opposite wall like that.

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We don’t have a formal dining room, instead we have a big living room area. I have no regrets. As a PP mentioned we have an island between the dining table and the kitchen cabinets. Our dining areas easily fits a 6 ppl dining set and I love this set up.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We do have a formal dining room that the kids use for studies and homework mostly. Our kitchen is open to family room with an island and then space for a dining table. This is where we dine everyday and also mostly when any friends are over. It’s just so much convenient with the island next to it. Would happily give up a formal dining room if the house checked all other boxes for me.

In our last house we used the formal dining room as a kids playroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4