JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What initial steps to take once deciding to school at home in the fall?

Part of the reason I wanted to talk to others who have made the decision not to send their kids to in person kids in the fall is because I need to figure out what steps to take. I know this will vary regionally, but I really need some direction (and I know there are some others from my state -Oregon-here as well). I am not sending my kids to in person school and that is something I have decided.

Okay, I do not know if our district will have a remote on-line option and what that would look like. So, that may or may not be a choice, but at this point I at least need a back up. We have some on-line charter schools and I put my kids' names on the waitlist, but the general sense of the ones I know of is that they have long wait lists and we probably won't get in. I have gotten on some local facebook groups, but they are so overwhelming and I honestly am not in the same situation as many of the parents on there. I am not going to create a full curriculum. I do need something where I can support what is in place, not design it myself. I do recognize this will take time from me.

My daughter is going into her senior year and does not need many credits to graduate. She has an IEP, but really has not gotten a good education. She plans to go to our community college when she graduates the following year. Basically, she really just needs to get through. My son on the other hand is going into 9th grade and needs to be challenged. He would be going into our IHS program if he were going to in person school.

-Are there any nationwide programs or other programs (free/public) people know of that would be a choice for us?
    -Any other direction or guidance about how to find or select a program would be great. As I said, I am on local facebook groups, but mostly they are just overwhelming me.

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

For your daughter I would look at the community college first, see what classes they offer online and what she is eligible to take. Around here homeschooling kids start community college at 16/17. They may have specific high school classes for homeschoolers, or she may be eligible to go right in to regular classes. If it was my kid I would have them take 1 or 2 community college classes on line and let them design the rest of their days planned around their interests- reading, cooking, art, craft, sport, whatever. For your son I might look for a more full homeschooling program, either online or just regular boxed curriculum. Calvert (traditional), James Madison (newer I think- I don't know much about this one although a friend's daughter liked it) and Oak Meadow (more artsy) are the ones that friends have used for middle/high school, but those are not free.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

oops- double

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not knowing much about it but echoing above, look into community college offerings for sure. Also, I know our state has several online free public choices.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Talk to your school and see what options they plan to offer. Assuming that you plan to return to public school once safe (vaccine, etc.), it's good to remember that pulling kids from public school will decimate the schools financially. i've sat through about 10 hours of meetings about public school funding this week - they desperately need our support and folks don't realize the impact that pulling kids will have.

As the wife of a teacher who often gets kids from online schools - he really feels that they miss a lot and struggle to catch up to public school.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies. I am continuing to move forward with finding on-line options for my kids.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes