Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default BBB Opinion Needed: WWYD Sending Kids to Indoor Activities

I am really curious to hear your thoughts here since collectively, the BBB seems to be following the research on Covid more than people I know IRL.

Would you (are you?) send your child back into an indoor sport (competitive gymnastics) at this point? I know DD would love to workout with her team in person instead of zoom. Gym planning to wipe down surfaces more frequently, hand sanitizer provided and temp checks at the door. Filters to air vents changed. No other mechanism to increase air exchange. Trying to enforce some social distancing - keeping girls in their groups. Masks not worn unless a coach wants to. Gymnasts not wearing masks. No parents in the gym.

Relevant information - Our state numbers are up. Our hospitalizations are up. We are opening up and it really feels like people are done with social distancing. We are in for a marathon rather than a sprint so it's hard to know where to draw the line and I find my own thoughts shifting at times.

Hopefully that provides enough information as I'm trying not to put too much out there.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not yet. Ask me again in a few weeks. I don’t see the rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Not yet. Ask me again in a few weeks. I don’t see the rush.
    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    This. High school sports are closed through June 30. The state league is planning to have tryouts in August for fall sports. It is going to look very different, one team of 10-12 in the gym at a time, probably limits on crowds. We will see.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My doctor's kids are back at gymnastics. We don't currently have a similar activity to tempt us, but I'm not sure how I would personally respond. I honestly think it is fine and is a worth while risk for kids to get back into regular activities. At the same time, my anxiety is giving me fits and i'm kind of paralyzed by it right now.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Nope. Esp if this is a hardcore gym where parents are likely to tell kids who are 'just a little sick' to suck it up and get into the gym.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not yet. Especially not competitive gymnastics, personally. I was a gymnast. Every top level gymnast I knew had serious injuries and right now we're minimizing exposure to anything risky to reduce the need to go to medical professionals. That doesn't count the coaches spotting, that's body contact, not 6 feet and no masks with exertion and heavy close contact breathing. We all face planted on beams, floors, pits, you name it, I can't imagine how to sanitize all that. Granted, my immediate family isn't even comfortable with a no contact event like drama camp (indoors, 8 hours, 1 bathroom per gender identification) at a small gym size location, so take my opinion with a grain of salt as we are high risk and you may not be

I think we are in the same state (maybe not)? If we are in the same state, can you even get in the gym now? DS plays basketball and I don't think gyms will open until later in June, if then. They are currently practicing outside.

I would not feel good about going into a indoor facility right now. When we move to the next phase, I would be OK (I think) because that means the numbers are either still steady or decreasing.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I feel the struggle! My kids are eager to get back to (non-competitive, just for fun) gymnastics. Our gym opened several weeks ago. We've skipped so far, but I'm struggling to know when we'll feel okay.

Like you, I live in a state that is fully open. Cases are going up, but no one else seems to care at all. Given all that, it's hard to see the situation improving anytime soon. Although of course I care about my family's health, we've been super serious about social distancing not for our own well-being, but for the general societal good. But when my state is fully open, the majority of people don't wear masks (we do), and people are routinely gathering again in large groups, it's hard to see how my family's personal social distancing is really benefiting the general societal good anymore. And we are definitely struggling with missing out on things that are important to us, including our activities.

DH and I decided to give it until the end of the month and regroup at that point. Like I said, for us, we have very limited concerns for our own low-risk family and just were doing everything we could to be good humans. I think we will likely start going back to things soon, as it's feeling kind of pointless lately. I am sure that I will refrain from all large-group activities and major travel for a good long time (no concerts, sports events, etc.) -- but I think we'll soon go back to small group activities (like kids' activities, small outside group interactions with friends, etc.) -- I can't keep up our current level of social distancing for the next year or however long COVID will be around without some serious mental side effects to our family.
    Lizi

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our dance classes have started meeting & I'm taking both girls. But our classes are being held outdoors (sectioned off area of the parking lot) and all students must wear masks. They have been keeping the kids further apart and not doing anything that requires touching. If it rains, they've agreed to move indoors, split between classrooms. (Only 1 class is meeting at the time, while normally 2 meet.) And classes are shorter than normal.

So, all that said to say, no I wouldn't feel comfortable with what you're describing.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t. DS is begging to go back to the gym (workout not gymnastics) and we’ve told him not yet. Its frustrating for everyone. I agree with you though as it seems like people just want to say they’re done and have that be all it takes.

We are only doing outdoor activities now.
    K

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast