Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm a it depends. Cases are up b/c there is a crap ton more testing. Issue primarily have been seen in the elderly and obese/comorbidity factors and basically ravaging nursing homes and jails. I'm still flabbergasted that the meat processing that had 600 cases had about half that had no symptoms and tested positive. I also don't have much faith in our reporting standards as well.

Also how many kids are participating, how big is the gym, how is practice being conducted, any risk factors for my child.

There's a great disparity between counties as well. I'd be more leery of Mecklenburg county versus Johnston county for instance. In my county, people are getting out more but I still see a majority in masks even not in required businesses and trying to maintain distance.

BTW - is this a future "If" question? Didn't think inside gyms were allowed to operate yet under the EO knowing some are doing it anyway.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’m not sure, does that help? Sorry, I happen to be going through the same questions here but in regards to my DD’s ballet classes. She just found out yesterday she was accepted into preprofessional ballet class and is begging to join summer prep classes. At least for ballet, she isn’t touching much beyond the barre. Well, and the floor for stretching. On the other hand, she is breathing hard in a classroom full of dancers. With gymnastics, the advantage is the room is generally huge so not as much air space being shared. If you can trust your DD to wash her hands frequently and not touch her face, and the room is very spread out AND no one in your family is immunocompromised, then I probably would send your dd to gymnastics class. I’d certainly lean that way.

Im leaning toward letting DD take 2, 1 hour classes once a week during our county’s Phase 1. That will ensure there are only 9 or fewer girls in her class. Our county has few cases so I’m comfortable with that. However, in July there are 2, week-long, all-day dance camps while in Phase 3 which means stores are back to normal. If the studio doesn’t offer the camps online, DD isn’t going.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    Not yet. Especially not competitive gymnastics, personally. I was a gymnast. Every top level gymnast I knew had serious injuries and right now we're minimizing exposure to anything risky to reduce the need to go to medical professionals. That doesn't count the coaches spotting, that's body contact, not 6 feet and no masks with exertion and heavy close contact breathing. We all face planted on beams, floors, pits, you name it, I can't imagine how to sanitize all that. Granted, my immediate family isn't even comfortable with a no contact event like drama camp (indoors, 8 hours, 1 bathroom per gender identification) at a small gym size location, so take my opinion with a grain of salt as we are high risk and you may not be
    Yes, gymnasts and their parents are a little special and you are bringing up valid points I hadn't really thought through yet such as injuries. We aren't particularly high risk but not super young either. Plus I've worked in a Covid ICU and know that reality. DH and I had already decided not to send DD but we are in the minority. The other two I know for sure didn't go have parents who work in biomed research.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I think we are in the same state (maybe not)? If we are in the same state, can you even get in the gym now? DS plays basketball and I don't think gyms will open until later in June, if then. They are currently practicing outside.

I would not feel good about going into a indoor facility right now. When we move to the next phase, I would be OK (I think) because that means the numbers are either still steady or decreasing.
    Yes, pretty sure we are in the same state. It's "gymnastics camp" since daycamps can run. I follow the numbers pretty regularly. Obviously cases are up but more importantly, so are hospitalizations so it's real. We are moving forward with opening despite the numbers rising so I do realize our family will need to either come to terms with the virus being part of everyday life or stay relatively isolated. DSs will start soccer trainings Monday but that's outside and we've decided they will go.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Would you (are you?) send your child back into an indoor sport (competitive gymnastics) at this point? I know DD would love to workout with her team in person instead of zoom. Gym planning to wipe down surfaces more frequently, hand sanitizer provided and temp checks at the door. Filters to air vents changed. No other mechanism to increase air exchange. Trying to enforce some social distancing - keeping girls in their groups. Masks not worn unless a coach wants to. Gymnasts not wearing masks. No parents in the gym.
    Well, I wouldn't, but I don't have sports centered, competitive kids. I think there are things you need to figure out. Is you family having contact or wish to have contact with any at risk individuals? Will this delay getting together with family at some point? You have to see it as your entire family is going to the gym and taking the risk, no just your DD. Then there is how you and your DH will feel about it, and your DD. If someone in your family gets sick are you going to regret the decision or be OK with it? I'm not saying right or wrong, but YOU need to be OK with all the possible outcomes.

My issue is this seems a very respiratory disease from what we have learned. I would NOT be OK with the mask policy. There is not reason the coaches can't wear masks. The gymnast should wear masks when not on the floor. My guess would be they would have to change the way they normally practice so they aren't all breathing hard all over the equipment, then just send the next one up. Are they going to wipe down between? This is the age that kids can be asymptomatic. Everyone can spare me the arm chair analysis that goes down the rabbit hole of exactly how risky X thing in Y situation is with Z population, because we just don't know. I don't support ANY activity that does not reinforce the concept that to be a decent human being right now you need to wear a mask when out of your house. We need to do everything to normalize face covering right now. I would also want to know what they mean by "trying to enforce" social distancing. You either enforce or you don't, you don't half-way it. It sends the wrong message to the kids. If you explanation of their police is accurate I would not feel they would be taking it seriously and I would be concerned they would let things slide further. I would also want to see the policy and plans in writing and posted so everyone knows. What do they plan to do if students don't comply?

I would advise to take into account the community. Are the people in the area taking it seriously or were they going to alcohol infused pool parties this past weekend? Because if people aren't taking it seriously you are just upping your risk.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I’m not sure, does that help? Sorry, I happen to be going through the same questions here but in regards to my DD’s ballet classes. She just found out yesterday she was accepted into preprofessional ballet class and is begging to join summer prep classes. At least for ballet, she isn’t touching much beyond the barre. Well, and the floor for stretching. On the other hand, she is breathing hard in a classroom full of dancers. With gymnastics, the advantage is the room is generally huge so not as much air space being shared. If you can trust your DD to wash her hands frequently and not touch her face, and the room is very spread out AND no one in your family is immunocompromised, then I probably would send your dd to gymnastics class. I’d certainly lean that way.

Im leaning toward letting DD take 2, 1 hour classes once a week during our county’s Phase 1. That will ensure there are only 9 or fewer girls in her class. Our county has few cases so I’m comfortable with that. However, in July there are 2, week-long, all-day dance camps while in Phase 3 which means stores are back to normal. If the studio doesn’t offer the camps online, DD isn’t going.
    Congrats to your DD! It's so hard to make these decisions when you know kids have worked so hard for something. DD was positioned to have a really good season this year. She's worked so hard. I probably trust her as much as you can an 8 year old to keep her hands away from her face.

DH is in the construction industry so thinks about things in that light. He is worried about the air exchange there since we see the chalk hang in the air all the time. It is a very large warehouse-type facility though so some dilution for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Yes, pretty sure we are in the same state. It's "gymnastics camp" since daycamps can run. I follow the numbers pretty regularly. Obviously cases are up but more importantly, so are hospitalizations so it's real. We are moving forward with opening despite the numbers rising so I do realize our family will need to either come to terms with the virus being part of everyday life or stay relatively isolated. DSs will start soccer trainings Monday but that's outside and we've decided they will go.
    Oh, gotcha. OK. The camp part makes sense. A PP does make a good point that a gymnastic facility tends to be spacious and has super high ceilings. So that could make a difference. Tough decision.

Yes, I've been following the numbers as well. The slow rise in the number who are hospitalized is concerning, although the percentage of those tested and diagnosed doesn't seem to be rising, which I guess is good.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Well, I wouldn't, but I don't have sports centered, competitive kids. I think there are things you need to figure out. Is you family having contact or wish to have contact with any at risk individuals? Will this delay getting together with family at some point? You have to see it as your entire family is going to the gym and taking the risk, no just your DD. Then there is how you and your DH will feel about it, and your DD. If someone in your family gets sick are you going to regret the decision or be OK with it? I'm not saying right or wrong, but YOU need to be OK with all the possible outcomes.

My issue is this seems a very respiratory disease from what we have learned. I would NOT be OK with the mask policy. There is not reason the coaches can't wear masks. The gymnast should wear masks when not on the floor. My guess would be they would have to change the way they normally practice so they aren't all breathing hard all over the equipment, then just send the next one up. Are they going to wipe down between? This is the age that kids can be asymptomatic. Everyone can spare me the arm chair analysis that goes down the rabbit hole of exactly how risky X thing in Y situation is with Z population, because we just don't know. I don't support ANY activity that does not reinforce the concept that to be a decent human being right now you need to wear a mask when out of your house. We need to do everything to normalize face covering right now. I would also want to know what they mean by "trying to enforce" social distancing. You either enforce or you don't, you don't half-way it. It sends the wrong message to the kids. If you explanation of their police is accurate I would not feel they would be taking it seriously and I would be concerned they would let things slide further. I would also want to see the policy and plans in writing and posted so everyone knows. What do they plan to do if students don't comply?

I would advise to take into account the community. Are the people in the area taking it seriously or were they going to alcohol infused pool parties this past weekend? Because if people aren't taking it seriously you are just upping your risk.
    Thank you for responding. Our thoughts have aligned throughout this experience so appreciate your perspective. We had not sent DD but are in the minority for sure. I'm with you on the mask policy. Increased cleaning is great but the evolving research has the vast majority of transmission occurring through respiratory droplets and aerosols. I sent an email expressing my thoughts to the gym today but I'm not holding my breath that it will change anything. DD would wear her mask willingly because it's just become something we see as important in our family. But other parents have stated they are really glad the gym isn't asking people to do so as their DDs would not tolerate it. I don't have much faith in our community as a whole for taking this seriously based on the number of whole families shopping at Target without masks. No way are ALL the parents being careful.

On the other hand, how long are we going to live this way? I'm not confident that our risks will go down for a long time but I'm trying to decrease our chances of illness. This disease scares the crap out of me.

The indoor part would be a no for me. Our governor just gave youth sports the ability to start up outside in small groups, and I definitely plan to let me kids go to soccer/lax whenever it starts. Is there outdoor tumbling or something similar she can do to keep some of her skills sharp?

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would be a no because it's indoors. We aren't comfortable with indoor groups right now. DH is in the HVAC industry and according to what they're seeing and being told, air flow is a big deal in how easily spread the germs can be. DH is not comfortable with us being indoors with others unless he knows what the air flow looks like and finds it acceptable.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That’s a tough one. My DDs were both former competitive gymnasts. It’s difficult to miss practice for gymnastics, but at the same time, it’s extremely germy. Constant touching of equipment, especially bars. I can’t imagine they will sanitize the bar after each gymnast uses it. Beam and vault too. Close contact, lots of touching of things, spotting by coaches, communal chalk stands, etc. I think it’s risky for sure, but it will continue to be risky for some time. So I can see how this is a difficult decision.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast