Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Did you see USAG recently came out with recommendations for reopening gyms safely? I read through the document and found it interesting. If anything, it might give you an idea of what practices your gym is choosing to follow and what they're willing to ignore:

https://usagym.org/PDFs/About%20USA%...ereopening.pdf
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

kristenk is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm picturing the gym that DD used to go to. She was on a competitive team, but wasn't one of the girls who actually homeschooled at the gym. Her gym (and the gym before) were so crowded on a daily basis. It was often hard for her team to find space to workout since there were so many other groups (and the gym was not the best at scheduling). Yes, a gym has a lot of space in it, but there are also a lot of girls all over the place and they're all breathing heavily, touching the same surfaces over and over. I can't even imagine how they could frequently clean the high-touch surfaces without making them slippery/dangerous. And talk about a lot of time inside with lots of other people.

I'd hold out, especially if numbers are going up in your area. Give it a little more time and reassess in 3-4 weeks.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just the fact that they said wiping down equipment more frequently instead of between each student would give me pause. They would really need to clean bars/beam/vault after each student and that does not seem practical. I would also feel better about it if they would open windows and doors for air flow. It just does not seem like an ideal environment with kids breathing heavy, sweating, sharing equipment.

I would ask some more questions and if there are windows and doors open then stop by to see for yourself how they are handling things.

We are participating in several activities but thankfully they are all outside.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m super hesitant. But ... baseball tryouts in small groups in an indoor facility this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would not. DS1 fences, our cases are holding steady (probably down, but they're hunting them with testing - which is a good thing!). Fencing is indoors, physical so heavy breathing, and I just...cannot. The studio cannot open yet, but they plan to the moment it is permissible. I do not see us sending him back for quite some time. Coloring my opinion is that I am near certain that some of the folks there truly do not believe COVID is real - so I feel they are less likely to be taking precautions. I know that's the reality of the world, but I just don't see it as somewhere that I feel will be enforcing the policies that fit within my comfort level.

We are more willing to consider soccer for DS2 - but he's a goalie so lots of touching the ball...that other kids touch...sigh. It's outside though.
    Last edited by ahisma; 05-27-2020 at 11:26 PM.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    We are more willing to consider soccer for DS2 - but he's a goalie so lots of touching the ball...that other kids touch...sigh. It's outside though.
    He would have keeper gloves on though.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Indoor exercise is listed as a high risk activity in pretty much every article I have read, so I would not. Outdoor stuff only for us for the time being.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    He would have keeper gloves on though.
    For sure - but they are basically just extensions of his hands. If he wipes his face with the gloves on, that's a problem. And it's hot, and he'd be sweaty, so I'm sure he would.

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Looks like my kids will be figure skating by mid June. They can maintain social distancing on the ice and they're required to wear masks. They're allowing 16 students on the ice at a time. There's no hanging around, you have to enter the premises with skates on and ready to get on the ice.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    For sure - but they are basically just extensions of his hands. If he wipes his face with the gloves on, that's a problem. And it's hot, and he'd be sweaty, so I'm sure he would.
    Ask your club how they are planning to handle practice. I spoke with a coach this morning about the directives they were given from the club. He had answers that I was comfortable with so I felt better knowing it had been discussed. No scrimmaging for at least the first 2 weeks to gauge how it's going and fewer teams on the fields at a time (I'm waiting to see if that really happens). He kept saying they would impress upon the boys that things are different and they need to act differently. Goalie is definitely trickier especially depending on age but maybe you will find a way to make it safer. Also, most of the research is showing that very little transmission occurs from surfaces and heat helps decrease it's virulence if that helps.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast