PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Day care/day camp WWYD

I just discovered that the day camp DS1 had attended for the last 3 summers is opening starting on Monday. It is run by the daycare/aftercare program on campus of his public elementary school. They will not have field trips this year (his favorite part). They will check temperatures at the door daily and nobody over 99 degrees can stay that day. Kids bring their own lunches and they will do as much as possible outside. There is no mention about masks, but I can't imagine that they would be able to enforce kids (6th grade and younger) wearing masks all day especially when it gets super hot.
    He has ADHD and is an extrovert. This time home had been really hard for him, much harder than for the rest of us. I am still working from home with management not planning to have us return to the office anyone soon. Getting DS2 to and from daycamp would be difficult because my work does NOT flex hours and I start earlier than the kids get up. Since I've been working from home, DH (who used to do school drop offs in the morning before heading to work) had been going to work early as well to keep caught up since they got more busy.
    I have spent the past 2 weeks formulating a self-led "Home Day Camp" to keep my boys busy (and hopefully not killing each other) so I can work productively this summer. School just ended for both of my boys so I was going to start the Home Day Camp tomorrow. Now I don't know what to do.
    Given all this info, would you send DS2 to the camp at all this summer?? I don't even know what I think right now, I feel like it's a bag idea but I do see he's having a hard time not being social.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes I would send your DS2 if he is happy at the camp. I am probably going to be in the minority here but I would at least try it. You can always do the activities you planned on the weekend.

I know our local YMCA has been open for essential workers who can’t take time off to watch their kids and I haven’t received any system wide notifications saying that it is closed so I figure they must be doing something right. If we weren’t moving this summer I would probably consider full time camp for Dd2 this summer like normal because she needs an outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I don't know how you are productive now with them in "school." I'm certainly not or working odd times to fit in what would normally happen during the day. We have had 2 weeks of back to back rainy weather and I want to cry, scream, or pull out my hair.

If your kids are healthy and they will be outdoors, I would at least try and see. I'm sure many kids are suffering the effects of being at home and seeing the same stuff over and over and would great benefit from outside play if you are comfortable with their practices. Mental health must be considered in addition to physical. Otherwise you are trading problems down the road.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Taking temps isn’t really that helpful. Some patients with covid never get a temperature, and by the time a patient does get a temperature, they have been contagious for at least several days prior.

It would be a no for me, but I’m more strict than most on here, and am in a hard hit area.

I am planning to send DS to Y camp for a couple of weeks so he can be around other kids and just do something different for a while. They'll be taking temps and asking health questions every day and trying to spend more time outdoors, although I don't think hours in North Carolina heat is super wise, either. DS has gone to Y camp for the past several years. It will definitely be different this year -- no field trips, maybe no swimming (but the cost is still the same). I'm hoping he'll have some fun, although probably not as much as past years.

And yes! It will give me some uninterrupted time to actually work.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09