Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default DS and backless booster

My 8 year old is built like a football player. He is about 4’6” I think but 85 Lb. he is in a gracO turbo booster But it’s like his hips are getting too wide and the seat is starting to hurt him. It seems to have happened all at once because we haven’t been riding in the car. I don’t really want him to go without so I guess I need a low back with a wider base?

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can he sit in the seat with a seatbelt and have his feet flat on the floor? My DD is 9 and could do this at 8. I just moved her out of her seat, although she could have moved a year sooner.
    K

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know my kids got out of boosters by that age. We had smaller backseats and when put in seatbelts adjusted correctly the belt hit then when it should and they sat in seat correctly. This has some good pics to assess where your son is in relation to booster vs none.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/boos...-booster-seat/
    Remember the booster is to position your kid in seatbelt correctly, not strap them to the seat like a true car seat. So it’s all about the seat belt.
    Last edited by dogmom; 05-30-2020 at 07:29 PM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default DS and backless booster

I would be okay with your ds out of a booster at that age, height, and weight as long as he can sit okay in the car and passes the 5 step test. My 10 year old is 62 lbs and 4’8” so she is still in a low back booster so honestly it is weight right now that is keeping her in a booster seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-30-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

dd2 (10) until very recently was still in a bubble bum in my van. In the back seats, she was fine w/a seatbelt but in the captain's chairs, they were deep and her legs didnt dangle quite right. A reg pillow might have worked but we had the bubble bum. The 'reg' booster made her sit too tall in the seat.

eta; for a long drive, I might still have her in the bubble bum. She's SO close!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

That is quite short to stop using a booster, so I would look around for something that might be more comfortable for him for at least another year or two. Here is a review I found of the Diono Solana 2 that has pictures of some larger kids in it and says it is wider and is comfortable for them. https://csftl.org/diono-solana-2-review/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If he doesn't pass the 5 step test then he still needs a booster. My DS1 was 11 when he finally passed in my car, but DS2 was 9, so it totally depends on the kid, their build, leg length, maturity, etc.

I'd try a backless like this Cosco one that has super low sides that flare out widely.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZISVSO..._ApR0EbCZ659YF

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I wonder if he could use something like the incognito? Did they take it off the market? My DD probably started riding in it around that height. She’s definitively smaller at 4’9” and 78# at 11.5. We are going to five-step test her now that she’s hit 57” which I understand is generally the magic number for fitting the seatbelt.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 9 year old is a bit bigger (4’7.5” and close to 100 lbs...another big boy) and sits in a clek booster in my car. He fits well in some cars without a booster but not mine. He’s OK without in DH’s car. So you can try the 5 step test before buying new.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    My 9 year old is a bit bigger (4’7.5” and close to 100 lbs...another big boy) and sits in a clek booster in my car. He fits well in some cars without a booster but not mine. He’s OK without in DH’s car. So you can try the 5 step test before buying new.
    Echoing this. You really need to look at your kid on your car. My kids got out of their booster in my vehicle (RAV4) but were in my DH truck for another year on booster. I worked in a trauma unit so I was very aware of where the belts were hitting in my kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast