Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone have experience with an inflatable kayak?

I'm trying to figure out how to get my son on the water with minimal fuss.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have one but it’s still in the box. I was going to try it in our pool this weekend
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

a good friend has one that I used once. Its inflatable but I think also semi rigid? Its more durable than "just" an inflatable. She loves it and uses it often. I could try to ask her the name of it if you like?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't tried it yet but I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, we have two! We have two of these: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Explore...0691254&sr=8-1

We only recently got them, but we've been out in them several times. We're very happy with them. Unfortunately, I have not used a regular kayak in many years, so I can't give you a good comparison between the two different types. But some info about the inflatable ones.....

*We don't have room to store "real" kayaks, nor a car suitable to easily transport them -- especially as I'm very short and can't envision how I'd get it on the roof, etc. The inflatable one is perfect for this -- it fits in a very reasonable size bag that's easy to transport. I can also carry the uninflated kayak bag down to the water by myself -- or my DH easily carries both at once.

*Set-up is really easy. Working together, DH and I can have both kayaks on the water within 10 minutes. Instructions are simple and easy to follow, and the pump it came with inflates in remarkably quickly.

*Putting it back after getting off the water also happens pretty quick -- usually when we get off the water, I help dry the kayak off (we just use an old bath towel) and open all the air valves, then bring the kids up to the car to get changed and into their seats. DH has the boats packed back up by the time I'm done with that. When we get home we usually lay them out in the sun for a bit to dry all the way. I do find it a bit of a pain that we need to do some drying and look a little longingly at the kayakers who are just throwing their wet (normal) kayaks on their roof and driving away -- but it's not a huge deal and totally worth it for the time we spend in them.

*They are super easy to move around and control in the water, and it's easy for a single person to propel the two seater. We generally ride with one adult and one DD in each kayak. Obviously DH and I can easily move the boat, but both my DDs (8 and 4) can also paddle the boat independently. (we only ever bring one paddle per boat, even though ours are two-seaters that came with two each....it's too hard to avoid clinking paddles, and hoping the DDs don't get bored and knock theirs over, etc. We just take turns letting the adult and the kid paddle).

*Our two-seater can actually hold one parent and both kids -- I definitely feel it (as in it's a bit harder to paddle) but my kids are small enough it does work.

*My biggest complaint is that the seats are inflatable and not amazing. I would prefer to have a more rigid back. DH has told me that there are better seats you can buy to use in place of the ones the boat comes with, but we haven't tried that yet. It obviously hasn't stopped us from enjoying using them.

*Although very easy to control, the two-person kayaks we have definitely have a bit of a bigger profile than a similar two person hardshell kayak. I'm pretty sure they don't cut through the water quite as well, and that they're a little bit more affected by strong winds or currents -- but again, it's not a dealbreaker. It just means that if I'm paddling downstream, I can't just totally kick back -- I need to occasionally be dipping the paddle side to side to keep the boat pointed forward. But like I said -- it's been ages since I was in a "real" kayak, and I don't think I've ever been in a hardshell 2 person kayak, so I'm not 100% sure if that's accurate or just because it's a bigger since it's for 2 people.

Overall, my assessment would be that if I had unlimited space, a huge car, and someone to always bring my boat to and from the water for me, then I'd probably prefer a hard shell kayak. But, none of those things are true or likely ever will be -- so we are very happy with our inflatables and I would recommend them!
    Lizi

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have 2 (Intex K-2’s) and love them.
    DS 2/09

We have 2 Sea Eagles. They are fine. Agree that the seats aren't the most comfortable. But they do the job.

I prefer paddleboarding. We have 4 inflatable paddle boards.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the Intex Explorers and we love them. I would prefer a hard sided kayak, but it's just not feasible for us. We're a big family, so we would need at least 3 kayaks for the whole gang. The Intex are easy to transport and store at home/pack in the SUV. For the price, they are a good deal. The paddles are pretty decent. The seats are good, but I agree there could be more support, but def not a deal breaker.

FWIW, I just bought new life vests for DH and me that are better suited towards paddling. The seats in the kayak have a high back and I find that it was pushing our traditional style vest up towards our shoulders.
    https://www.amazon.com/MoveVent-Dyna...52&sr=8-1&th=1

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post

I have this same one still in the box though.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post

I have this same one still in the box though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast