Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dog?

Default Dog?

Update; thought I fill you guys in what we decided as a family. As you can see from current photo, OG is home with us since this morning he’s 3 years old Bulloxer who is such a love bug already! The kids are so in love with him.

——————————————————

Bit long, Bear with me. I also messed up as I posted my posting in wrong sub forum of baby-general discussion. If mods could delete that, I appreciate it!

So I’ve been looking & applying locally for a Boxer rescue from rescues and shelters since December. But applied more in further out areas from us since very beginning of March.

And we keep getting passed over due to lack of physical fence, it just isn’t common where we live as homes around here average from 1 to 2 acres of property. Also passed over cuz my youngest kid is only 6 at time of all those applications and now is 6.5, the dogs that fit us are often looking to be placed in homes with older kids. 9 or 12 years old and older. Which is a bummer. But I get and understand why rescues do that. We don’t want to buy as we strongly believe in adopting/rescuing. Buying means its a puppy we would be bringing home and my husband compromise on getting another dog is as long it’s a young dog, not a puppy which I’m of the same belief anyway.

Anyway, I was getting discouraged. And thinking we just have to wait till youngest was bit older, then a rescue contacted me for a 3 year old male boxer. But he’s mixed. Bulloxer is what they call his breed as he is a cross between Boxer and American Bulldog. The foster mom read our application, thinks we’re wonderful candidate and our kids are at the right age, cuz she has kids same age as mine. So it’s known that he is fine with kids this young without any problems. He’s also mellow.

I’m hesitating because I want a boxer, but it’s just not very likely we’ll get one, and the lockdown doesn’t help as many rescues aren’t doing home visits, etc so they’re fostering their dogs longer. I feel like it’s bit silly of me to want a purebred when he’s just still an adorable boxer, albeit mixed. Tell me to get over myself and just adopt this dog? Lol what would you do? Dh is leaving this decision entirely up to me, so no help from him. He is really adorable and a real smush from what the foster mom says about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by DualvansMommy; 06-06-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Updated news
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Can you do a trial weekend field-trip visit of sorts, to see how he does with your family? A lot of rescues I know of do this, where the dog spends a couple days with the prospective family to see if they are a match. My friend did this, her first dog weekend was not a good match, but the second one was great, and now they have had their family pup for 2+ years.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have zero problems with mixed/non-purebred dogs and have only every had total mutts, so from my perspective it would be no big deal to not have a pure boxer. But I feel like I've heard that American Bulldogs are often a banned breed. I would hesitate to adopt a banned breed dog, as I've seen people with major stress as they're trying to move, and limited in options due to having a wonderful dog who just happens to be a banned breed. We're a military family though so I'm around people who move a lot -- so there's a good chance that it's a very small percentage of people who ever have to deal with this -- but it's enough to make me hesitate. If I were you I'd at least research around my area and make sure there's nothing like that that might affect you.
    Lizi

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm cut from a "breed doesn't matter" mold and the dog's personality matters more in terms of good fit (so long as the dog's size is one you are willing to handle). My vote: HE IS SO CUTE GO FOR IT!!!!!!

eta: I forgot to add that if you're going through a rescue and they say a dog is "purebred Boxer", unless that dog has papers or a DNA test, there's no way to know that for sure. There's no way this rescue knows for sure that this dog is a Boxer/American Bulldog mix unless you do a DNA test. In terms of banned breeds, we had a pit bull mix and I worried about that a bit. It's one of the reasons we did not do a DNA test (although I really really wanted to know what exactly he was!) because I didn't want any proof that he was any specific breed. Our vet even agreed with me and in our vet records he was listed as "lab mix". He almost certainly had a good percentage of bully in him based on the way he looked (like a pittie!) and was the best dog we've ever had!! Bully breeds were such popular dogs in the past that any mutt today has a very good chance of having a little bully somewhere in their genetic makeup. Both of my family's rescue dogs look nothing like any of the bully breeds but their DNA tests came back for a small percentage of Americal Staffordshire Terrier. I think unless you live someplace that has a strict breed ban in place where they can ban your dog based on just the way it looks (I think Denver is like this??) then you are fine.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 05-28-2020 at 09:32 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Go meet him, see if you can take him home for a bit maybe (not sure if they would do this right now), but honestly, him being a mixed breed wouldn't worry me, but I have a few friends with pits they got for 20.00 from Animal control and they are the sweetest dogs. I think you probably own your home so breed shouldn't make a difference. He's adorable!!!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it’s more of a personality thing than a specific breed. I mean, labs and goldens bite too!

How do you know he’s a boxer? He looks more pittish to me, which isn’t a big deal in my world (called Chicago dog around here). I only ask because if you want a boxer for personality, you may not get boxer personality traits. I’ll explain another way. I have a lab rescue from a breed specific lab rescue. She’s really become a very good dog and is excellent with kids and a million boys running around. But, her personality isn’t totally lab like. After dna testing (and we had guessed) she’s 13 percent border collie. For whatever reason, border collie traits dominate her personality. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have chosen her had I known border collie personality, but I find that personality more frustrating!

Ps. She’s also gsd, and has some traits of gsd. Her main lab trait is eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I agree when I first saw the pictures before reading the post I thought it was a pit and the post would be about that. Soooo.....even if he's not part pit, I think you are going to have people thinking he is, for better or worse. Besides that I would meet him but it sounds like a good fit.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I agree when I first saw the pictures before reading the post I thought it was a pit and the post would be about that. Soooo.....even if he's not part pit, I think you are going to have people thinking he is, for better or worse. Besides that I would meet him but it sounds like a good fit.
    I also agree, I don't see any boxer really in him, but I am partial to Pit's so it wouldn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I think it’s more of a personality thing than a specific breed. I mean, labs and goldens bite too!

How do you know he’s a boxer? He looks more pittish to me, which isn’t a big deal in my world (called Chicago dog around here). I only ask because if you want a boxer for personality, you may not get boxer personality traits. I’ll explain another way. I have a lab rescue from a breed specific lab rescue. She’s really become a very good dog and is excellent with kids and a million boys running around. But, her personality isn’t totally lab like. After dna testing (and we had guessed) she’s 13 percent border collie. Baby Bargains
    For what it’s worth, the foster mom with the boxer rescue said, while they don’t have papers on him, they’re going by what the precious family told them with their own DNA testing; he’s 60 American bulldog and 40 boxer. Foster family said he is more boxer like in personality, eyes and build aside from the face. Apparently American bulldogs are more square and blocky in their body, while boxer have large chest then trim down. That’s what this rescue looks like.

I do agree that mixes are better, health wise. Two of my boxers were prone to bone health issues and stomach ailments.

Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    For what it’s worth, the foster mom with the boxer rescue said, while they don’t have papers on him, they’re going by what the precious family told them with their own DNA testing; he’s 60 American bulldog and 40 boxer. Foster family said he is more boxer like in personality, eyes and build aside from the face. Apparently American bulldogs are more square and blocky in their body, while boxer have large chest then trim down. That’s what this rescue looks like.

I do agree that mixes are better, health wise. Two of my boxers were prone to bone health issues and stomach ailments.

Oh cool so you already have DNA results!! I say go for it. He is adorable and sounds like a great fit!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast