Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Paw licking and scratching can be signs of allergies. Sounds like you are just going to have to keep trying the foods to figure out what works. We only do dry food mixed with some water. Previous dog had allergies to corn which is common so look for foods with no corn. Many dogs also do not do well with chicken so you could try a different protein. Right now though while she is on meds I would not make any more changes.
    Do you think I should get more of the Hills Science prescription tummy stuff (canned) from the vet and continue that? I hate to keep her on that long term, its $3.25 a can! Or the Wellness Core (dry) she was eating originally? Both are turkey, wellness is grain free. The treats we got are chicken and lamb, but I also have beef and turkey ones. Foster mom said her dogs ate a variety of flavors of the treats, that she didn't have a favorite flavor. She has 5 more days of probiotics, and will start the next round of worm meds June 23.
    Last edited by ang79; 05-29-2020 at 12:21 PM.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If she did well with the Hills then I would get more. Keep her on that for a few days then gradually add the Wellness Core in (assuming she did ok with that). Then I would just give her more time to get settled and over the worms before making a change. But if she is ok on the Wellness I would just continue that. Our dog was a rescue with worms and it took a few months to get him to normal. He has eaten Wellness Core for years. If she did not do well with the Wellness Core then you can try a different protein in that brand.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our rescue pup had parasites and lots of tummy troubles. Following the prescription dewormer, several brands of kibble (Fromm, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Candidae and others....) and boatloads of homemade bland diet we still had some stool issues and tons of flaky skin. Probiotics helped some but the biggest improvement for us has been Honest Kitchen chicken with grains dehydrated food. You rehydrate it with warm water and we feed it half and half with Earthborn Holistic kibble because our pup seemed to tolerate that better than other brands.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

100% for what it's worth - our "good but lowkey" vet recommends people try Kirkland - well priced and agrees with most dogs. Having said that, breeders of our maltipoos (now) and bichon/poodle mixes (prior) both fed Eukanuba so we've continued.

TOTALLY agree with very slow switch over mentioned above.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our chocolate lab has several food allergies, including chicken, fish, corn and rice. After trial and error as a puppy, we have her on Merrick Limited Ingredient Lamb and Sweet Potato food for the last 4 years or so. She loves it. We feed dry food (she drinks a lot of water on her own). We don’t give her wet food. Sometimes if she doesn’t want to eat, I mix a tablespoon of plain unsweetened yogurt into the dry food and then she’ll scarf it down.

Agree with the slow transition. When we were trying different foods to figure out what worked for her, we took a week to wean her off the old food and over to the new. 75/25 old to new for 2-3 days, then 50/50 for a couple days, then 25/75 for a couple days.
    Last edited by dhano923; 05-30-2020 at 05:29 AM.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would absolutely positively only (100 percent) choose a dog food brand that has breed specific nutritionists design the food. That leaves Purina, Science Diet and Royal Canin. Other dog foods are not properly trialed, is tested on dogs. Dog food ingredients should not look good to a human. Fancy (or in many cases), pretend fancy, dog foods have literally killed 1000s of formerly healthy dogs from dcm.

You have posted about stomach issues. Try Purina pro plan sensitive salmon dry. There is a small dog version. Slowly. You may need to do a mixture of wet and dry. Our combo is the Purina pro plan sensitive salmon plus science diet canned turkey and rice.

Please stay away from grain free. And don’t buy into the hype of fancy food. Certified vet nutritionists need to formulate food.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I would absolutely positively only (100 percent) choose a dog food brand that has breed specific nutritionists design the food. That leaves Purina, Science Diet and Royal Canin. Other dog foods are not properly trialed, is tested on dogs. Dog food ingredients should not look good to a human. Fancy (or in many cases), pretend fancy, dog foods have literally killed 1000s of formerly healthy dogs from dcm.

You have posted about stomach issues. Try Purina pro plan sensitive salmon dry. There is a small dog version. Slowly. You may need to do a mixture of wet and dry. Our combo is the Purina pro plan sensitive salmon plus science diet canned turkey and rice.

Please stay away from grain free. And don’t buy into the hype of fancy food. Certified vet nutritionists need to formulate food.

I did find that Purina Pro Sensitive food and thought maybe it would help with her itching. We have gone back to just the dry Wellness Core and she is devouring it. Her poo is getting better and her appetite is up and she is starting to drink water on her own (for awhile the only water she would take was with her food). I'm not wondering if the wet food from the vet was what was making her poo so runny, we stopped that over the weekend and she has been on dry only with a little bit of cooked chicken as a treat. And also the Wellness Soft Bites treats. I think for now I will keep her on the Wellness (since I have a pretty much full bag and a second bag and she is eating it) and then maybe later try to switch her over to ProPlan to see if it helps with the itching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post

I did find that Purina Pro Sensitive food and thought maybe it would help with her itching. We have gone back to just the dry Wellness Core and she is devouring it. Her poo is getting better and her appetite is up and she is starting to drink water on her own (for awhile the only water she would take was with her food). I'm not wondering if the wet food from the vet was what was making her poo so runny, we stopped that over the weekend and she has been on dry only with a little bit of cooked chicken as a treat. And also the Wellness Soft Bites treats. I think for now I will keep her on the Wellness (since I have a pretty much full bag and a second bag and she is eating it) and then maybe later try to switch her over to ProPlan to see if it helps with the itching.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use V-dog. Our dog, a 2 year old mini labradoodle, has thrived on it. We add things like coconut oil or chips, peanut or almond butter, sweet potato, egg, pumpkin, beans/lentils, and yogurt or soured raw milk. I will also sprinkle nutritional yeast and pumpkin seeds sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2