Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Update in OP! New Daycare Rules...

Update: The University I work for has still not decided what Fall 2020 will look like, but they have decided that any faculty that want to only teach online for the Fall semester are allowed to do so. So that solves all of my childcare concerns. DD will definitely still be in daycare, but I can drop her off and pick her up whenever they want me to. Who knows what DS's school schedule will look like, but I can work around that too without having to send him to additional child care. I will go to my office several days a week, but now my days and hours can be as flexible as I need them to be. And if DS ends up with some crazy schedule, I can take him to work with me sometimes with this arrangement.

We are not sending DD back to daycare immediately since I am able to work from home part time in the summer, and rules may very well change again by then as we will probably be in the next reopening phase. That said, OMG the new rules are stressing me out! I am fine with dropping off at the door, though I am sure there will be meltdowns since she hasn’t been in so long. I am fine with only playing outside in the morning instead if morning and night. I understand why rates had to go up since Max class size went down. I can even live with no refrigerators OR ice packs allowed for lunches. But there is only a 30 minute window for drop off and for pickup that is based on your child’s age and is going to cause problems for my (not at all flexible) work schedule if we are still stuck with it in the fall! Not to mention they want $25 a day for before school care for my 6 year old, but the earliest drop off time for his age group is 30 minutes before his bus arrives?! Trying to breathe and remember this will probably change before school starts back in fall...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 06-02-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

That sounds very challenging. Can you get a nanny instead? One of my friends is planning on doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    That sounds very challenging. Can you get a nanny instead? One of my friends is planning on doing that.

My husband is not comfortable with a nanny, for reasons I totally understand, and it would cost a lot more than even the now higher price of daycare for a 3 year old and before school care for a first grader. And she loves her teacher and friends at daycare. But yes, there are definitely days I wish that were an affordable option!!

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. That sounds so not ideal. I don't blame you for worrying about that. I don't see why playing outside is limited? That seems like it would be better from the standpoint of infection control. And the schedule! I've never heard of such a thing for a daycare. I would think they'd encourage flexible hours so that the bottleneck at drop off and pick up would ease! That's apparently one strategy our local school district is considering, staggering pick up and drop off hours, so that mingling would be at a minimum. Those are some strange options. I don't blame you for being stressed!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The drop off times make no sense for a daycare. Maybe it’s just during the time people are still supposed to be working from home?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Default New Daycare Rules...

They are normally open 6:30 am through 6 pm and you can come and go whenever, which is one of the best time ranges in our area. I think the not going outside in the afternoon is because nap sometimes lasts until around 3, and if pickups are early they don’t have time to get all of the classes out there one at a time especially with required cleaning of playground equipment between groups (usually 2-3 classes play outside together which is not currently allowed).

I am hoping some restrictions will be relaxed in July when our state is tentatively scheduled to move from phase 2 to phase 3. We won’t be using daycare before then anyway.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Out of curiosity what is the rationale for no ice packs? I can see not wanting to put everyone's lunches into a communal fridge but I dont get the lack of icepack in a lunchbox.

Could you get one of those freezeable lunchboxes? Put a frozen waterbottle in for her to drink at lunch?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Out of curiosity what is the rationale for no ice packs? I can see not wanting to put everyone's lunches into a communal fridge but I dont get the lack of icepack in a lunchbox.

Could you get one of those freezeable lunchboxes? Put a frozen waterbottle in for her to drink at lunch?
    It is to “minimize items brought from home”. We do have a freezable lunch box that I will use on days we need to keep something cool! Though most days she will be totally fine with Sunbutter and jelly and some apple slices or similar that will be fine at room temp.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post

I agree, that's strange. When we need disposable ice packs we freeze some of those apple sauce pouches and put one either side of our sandwiches or whatever. Then the cold, slushy applesauce tastes good. Would something like that work instead? I don't get the "no ice packs" either.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If there's only 30 minutes from drop off to the bus, could you shift your work hours to get your child on the bus? Or perhaps a neighbor with a similar age child child could take them for that short time? I know I would do it for a lot less than $25 a day!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast