Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Anxiety Meds: it's time

I was diagnosed with GAD 13 years ago. I've been on and off meds with mixed results. Prozac works great for me for a short time, followed by weight gain and then it abruptly ceases to be affective, even when going up in doses.

My anxiety used to be a low level kind of thing but now it's manifesting in constant low level symptoms with flares of panic: days where I feel like I am struggling to breathe (asthma meds do not seem to help), days of pain all over (I think my body is just incredibly tense), and random other symptoms. My chiro is perplexed by me since I cannot seem to keep an adjustment, he said I tend to internalize all the stress in my body and suggests I move to Colorado (if pot were legalized I would be the first in line). Today my hands are tingling and almost numb. (Last night DH told me he was given a completely unexpected, unexplained and undeserved pay cut....thought I responded just fine but now my body is saying otherwise). For me every few months I become desperate and feel like I'm just not able to continue without some kind of chemical support but with COVID I think it's inevitable that I have to get back on meds.

I'd love to hear what meds you have used with minimal side effects and that have continued to work for you. I have a suspicion that my body just doesn't process that well (MTHFR thing?) but have other people dealt with short time efficacy at first then no longer feeling any effects?

DS1 takes Zoloft and he’s had zero issues. I assume Zoloft is probably next in line for a try after Prozac.

Im sorry things are so rough now. Anxiety is real. I know DS is so much happier and even keeled on anxiety meds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I take Celexa with no side effects. I was on it for about four years and decided I didn’t really need it anymore (wasn’t sure I ever needed it, as when it was started I was having a whole host of odd issues and they decided it was anxiety related, turns out it was more than likely allergy related but I did feel better on the meds so I stayed on them). I stopped about a year ago and then noticed the anxiety in the last half of my cycle was out of control. The dr said my hormones are the cause as I’m getting older. She suggested I go back on because it helps PMS and I held out awhile. The first week of lockdown I was so anxious and decided it was time to go back on. I started back on Celexa and feel great, again no side effects. I actually only take half of what was initially prescribed which is a super low dose. My doctor told me that Celexa or Zoloft were the best for anxiety and that she’s had the best success with Celexa so that’s what we tried.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH has had good luck with Celexa, too. His is in conjunction with EMDR type therapy to retrain his brain. When the world isn't upside-down, also weekly massage and chiropractic adjustments to keep the tension down.

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    DH has had good luck with Celexa, too. His is in conjunction with EMDR type therapy to retrain his brain. When the world isn't upside-down, also weekly massage and chiropractic adjustments to keep the tension down.
    I am used to going for chiro 2 times per week but COVID happened and he's been out of the office for a couple weeks for a medical procedure. I'm going back this afternoon and desperately need an adjustment. I know it helps me for sure

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My sister just started taking Zoloft and it’s helping.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Add me as another vote for Celexa. I took it for over a year and it was wonderful for me. I couldn't believe how much better I felt. I too didn't need a big dose -- for much of the time I was on the adolescent dose and it was still doing great for me. I really didn't have any side effects either. The first 2-3 days taking the medication were very rough but after that I really didn't have any side effects at all.
    Lizi

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My son takes Zoloft with zero side effects. I took Lexapro for over ten years, but needed to switch it up last year when I had a bout of pretty severe depression. My doctor changed me over to Effexor, which I have had NO side effects from. She said she likes it for middle-aged women especially. I have a small prescription for clonazepam for breakthrough anxiety (which I have had more of since this started).

There are lots of options out there. If you're concerned about how your body metabolizes the meds, maybe ask your doctor for the testing that looks at that.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Add me to camp zoloft. I dont take it anymore but its been pretty clear for a while that I need to go back on it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast