Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Please tell me aside from not linking the article what is missing or incomplete? It is our rights as parents and human beings to decide for ourselves and our children how when and where we allow mask wearing whether you like it or anybody else doesn't like it I really don't care. you have no idea of our particular health situation and quite frankly it's not your business.

More scare tactics about these deaths overseas and "not selling some article" these instances may be rare but raise questions - but that's right medical people don't like questions......

As we don't know what prompted the issues it begs caution at the very least to assess for YOUR situation and not as a result of some declaration with limited efficacy noted as every study has determined cloth face masks cannot protect against aersolized particulate only droplet. Children cannot easily determine breathing difficulty so start from that perspective instead of dictations.

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/10056...s-in-gym-class

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...sk-policy.html
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...face-mask.html
    You are correct, cloth may only protect against aersolization. Coughing is really droplet. Aerolizating things are nebulizers, intubation, placing a tracheostomy, things like that. So not things most people will be exposed to.

The problem is the article cited the deaths in one sentence and said there was no autopsy or heart history. The bulk of the article talked about masks and exercise and recommendations for how to use them. So you misrepresented the intent of the article IMO.

And no, it’s not completely up to you because you and your kids are not going to be allowed places if they don’t wear masks. You may choose not to go there. Your choices have an effect on other people. Medical people welcome questions. We get weary of risking our lives then open up to see social media cherry pick thinks to present a picture that just isn’t true. You have consists expressed fringe opinions on this board backs up by selective information.

I will not allow you to spread misinformation on this board for something this important. This is my line on the sand. The mods can ban me. That’s fine.
    Last edited by dogmom; 05-30-2020 at 07:24 PM.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our summer is usually pretty unstructured now anyway. My kids, other than the youngest, have generally outgrown camps. They have some work to do for school and they have sports. We intend to spend a lot of time in our pool and trying some new things at home. So far, the sports are slowly starting back up. No games at this point, small group practices. The kids are not asked to wear masks for sports, but the coaches are required to. My oldest son works with a personal trainer at a gym (gyms are only opened for personal training at this point)...he IS asked to wear a mask there. I'm not sure if he will wear it on the treadmill (he does the extra high incline, 25 mph intervals, so that's some hard work) but certainly for strength work. I'll let them work that out. He's 15 and he'll do whatever he is asked to do.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    You are correct, clothe makes only protect against aersolization. Coughing is really droplet. Aerolizating things are nebulizers, intubation, placing a tracheostomy, things like that. So not things most people will be exposed to.

The problem is the article cited the deaths in one sentence and said there was no autopsy or heart history. The bulk of my he article talked about masks and exercise and recommendations for how to use them. So you misrepresented the intent of the article IMO.

And no, it’s not completely up to you because you and your kids are not going to be allowed places if they don’t wear masks. You may choose not to go there. Your choices have an effect on other people. Medical people welcome questions. We get weary of risking our lives then open up to see social media cherry pick thinks to present a picture that just isn’t true. You have consists expressed fringe opinions on this board backs up by selective information.

I will not allow you to spread misinformation on this board for something this important. This is my line on the sand. The mods can ban me. That’s fine.
    Thank you. I always appreciate your perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

I do not have too much planned so far. We are trying to make life less structured right now and only plan a few weeks ahead. I worry everything could change so quickly in both regulations and my comfort level for our family. My boys' soccer club will start up some limited outdoor practices on Monday. We are planning to have them go since the club has stated they will be only working on technical skills, not scrimmaging. My DD's gym has started indoor training but we haven't allowed her to go yet. I suspect we will be forced to make a decision soon when they take away all the zoom trainings. I've been told that no one at the gym is wearing a mask other than one coach. DD could (and would) wear one but it isn't nearly as effective alone. Other than that, we will go hiking near streams and rivers, spend long days on the lake and hope we don't get too tired of eachother.

My aside about masks and changes in the norm for our kids: I am a huge mask advocate. We owe it to our fellow humans and especially healthcare workers and our family wears them in public places. Based on recent findings, but also looking at countries where masks are more culturally accepted, I struggle to understand why it's even a debate. I also think we are underestimating our kids' resilience and adaptability to a "new" routine, including more distance and masks. Not sure if I'm completely in the minority or just not as outspoken as those saying their kids couldn't be expected to act differently. I'd be ok with trying to have kids mask, keeping workouts less strenuous and providing safe mask breaks during indoor sports.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I’m not opposed to masks at all. I spent the better part of the last two months trying to find ones that work for my family. The question was are your kids wearing mask when they play sports. I read in a couple different places – and I can’t cite them right now – that masks were fine when you were doing light to moderate exercise. However, they weren’t advised if you were doing strenuous workouts. Yes his basketball team is still practicing outside. But they are doing really strenuous activities at game speed. They can barely catch their breath at the end of practice as it is. I don’t think that they are not going to go at game speed at any point. I guess a lot of this just depends on the sport and expectations. I imagine when they eventually moved indoors, they will continue without masks When they are actually practicing or actively participating.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 05-30-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I’m not opposed to masks at all. I spent the better part of the last two months trying to find ones that work for my family. The question was are your kids wearing mask when they play sports. I read in a couple different places – and I can’t save them right now – that at mask were fine when you were doing light to moderate exercise. However, they weren’t advised if you were doing strenuous workouts. Yes his basketball team is still practicing outside. But they are doing really strenuous activities at game speed. They can barely catch their breath at the end of practice as it is. I don’t think that they are not going to go at game speed at any point. I guess a lot of this just depends on the sport and expectations. I imagine when they eventually moved indoors, they will continue without masks When they are actually practicing or actively participating.
    Once again. 400 lb patients and CPR And I wear I heck of a lot more stuff. How about soldiers and 100 lbs of gear & in a desert? Yep, the outliers with sensory issues I get. I very young child who can’t tell you they are short of breath, I get. Any school age kid should be empowered to say “I am short of breath a I need a break.” That might prevent heat stroke at football practices to boot. 14 year olds used to work in mines, I think our precious children can learn to cope.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS takes judo, and they are masking for practice, which is due to start mid-June. Workouts will have to be modified; we know that. You just can't safely grapple in a mask, so they won't be doing that for now.
    Youth sports scare me right now. My personal opinion is that masks should be required. I'm afraid that if masks are not required, the kids are going to use it as a reason not to use a mask at other times. Like seat belts, I think kids have to learn that masks are required.
    Kids need to learn to tell adults that they're short of breath, just like they have to tell adults that they need to pee. New and difficult, yes, but not as impossible some seem to think.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are back into soccer No masks kids parents or coaches. We've been doing weekly warm up practices since what ever day the governor said it was OK and try outs will be in 2 weeks. I think they have some camp like sessions this summer. I cant see them trying to run a soccer practice in florida in the summer with a mask.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Almost all our sports are at home. Dd is doing several ballet and stretching classes via zoom through her studio. Tonight we discussed taking an intensive ballet class which is 1.5 hour per week at her studio. BUT it’s the last class of the day and it’s indoors. I want her to wear a mask. She’s not crazy about the idea but that’s our family rule. So, it’s unlikely I’ll sign her up unless she agrees to mask up. So, we will see.

COVID19 is still under control in our area. No deaths yet here. So I have no problem with the kids not wearing masks outdoors as long as they are keeping their distance. Indoors, we insist on masks. Someone else first posted his link here but he’s continued to be a great resource and help me form decisions. https://www.erinbromage.com/post/wha...eal-with-masks
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-31-2020 at 12:00 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    You are correct, cloth may only protect against aersolization. Coughing is really droplet. Aerolizating things are nebulizers, intubation, placing a tracheostomy, things like that. So not things most people will be exposed to.

The problem is the article cited the deaths in one sentence and said there was no autopsy or heart history. The bulk of the article talked about masks and exercise and recommendations for how to use them. So you misrepresented the intent of the article IMO.

Except I am not providing misinformation I provided what caught my eye about the article. Is NEJM misinformation or do you have a confirmation bias and refuse anything contrary to your belief system. You haven't presented all sides of the situation only those that you prefer. There's many, many alternate views. I don't have more time but I have MANY more articles - all research on this.

Fringe opinions indeed:

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...iMBwKPQLl96lIo

Western medicine is about compliance plain and simple and simplest to coordinate. Otherwise there would be mass ad campaigns about reducing obesity and making yourself more healthy to fight disease but of course that would be too difficult.

Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.
    https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577
    Last edited by marymoo86; 05-31-2020 at 09:54 AM.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2