Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crap! I forgot to pay for drivers ed starting in a week!

I signed DD up in mid-March (the day she got her permit...can’t do it earlier), and I had assumed I paid online, because that’s how everything works these days. With covid and everything, I just realized I forgot to send in a check, and the class is supposed to start (online) a week from Monday. Ugh!!!!!! It’s impossible to get a slot and DD needs to take it this summer so she can drive herself to school in the fall. I’m going to call them on Monday and hope they didn’t get her slot away. Who asks for checks these day?!?!? Especially when you sign up online.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You probably can go ahead. I doubt the class is full. Hopefully they will be understanding about the payment in these crazy times.
    K

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I missed the deadline for DD to take driver's ed, it meant she had to wait an extra 5 months to get her license and I had to drive her to high school swim practice last fall, every morning at 5:15, I was so mad. Ours had a waiting list, hope that you didn't miss out!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I missed the deadline for DD to take driver's ed, it meant she had to wait an extra 5 months to get her license and I had to drive her to high school swim practice last fall, every morning at 5:15, I was so mad. Ours had a waiting list, hope that you didn't miss out!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    That’s my fear...I don’t want to drive her to swim practice at 5:30am. But who knows what the fall will bring. But she needs to get her school permit ASAP. I just sent in the check plus a frantic email begging to keep her spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I think you will be ok since it’s an online class. They’ll be able to have a larger capacity than if it was in person. Ds took drivers ed online in Early April. Due to sports he was originally supposed to take it in person over April Break. Good thing I had him take it online earlier in the month as our district cancelled April break and the week after he took drivers ed they started online schooling for hs. Unfortunately he still can’t get his permit as the registry is closed. Here you can take the classroom drivers ed at 15yr 9 mo and get your permit at 16. He could have had his permit in March. Since the permit is a written test I don’t know why they aren’t offering permits online. It would have bee great to have been able to let him practice driving now. We’ve gone to a parking lot a few times but I’m not comfortable doing any more than that with him. There was already a shortage of registry people able to give drivers license road tests so I think the registry is going to have a huge backlog when they open up again so it’s a shame they haven’t shifted the permit test to online as that seems like a relatively harmless procedure to do online. Hope you luck out on Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmomtobe View Post
    I think you will be ok since it’s an online class. They’ll be able to have a larger capacity than if it was in person. Ds took drivers ed online in Early April. Due to sports he was originally supposed to take it in person over April Break. Good thing I had him take it online earlier in the month as our district cancelled April break and the week after he took drivers ed they started online schooling for hs. Unfortunately he still can’t get his permit as the registry is closed. Here you can take the classroom drivers ed at 15yr 9 mo and get your permit at 16. He could have had his permit in March. Since the permit is a written test I don’t know why they aren’t offering permits online. It would have bee great to have been able to let him practice driving now. We’ve gone to a parking lot a few times but I’m not comfortable doing any more than that with him. There was already a shortage of registry people able to give drivers license road tests so I think the registry is going to have a huge backlog when they open up again so it’s a shame they haven’t shifted the permit test to online as that seems like a relatively harmless procedure to do online. Hope you luck out on Monday!
    It’s normally not online. There’s a 30 hour classroom component and then 6 hours of driving. They are letting everyone do the classroom component online. I heard they switched the driving to one instructor and one student at a time. Masks required. BYO sanitizer (required)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Do you have a parent taught option? That’s what we did with DD. She took the class on an app, then we did the driving hours with her. That was years ago, so I don’t remember all of the details.

Ironically, she has never taken the driving test. She just turned 21 this week, so we bought her a car to entice her to take her driving test. Tangent....the car got hail damage less than 2 days after we got it. Anyhoo, a local police officer friend told her that because her license says she must have someone 21 years old in the car with her and she’s now 21, she can drive by herself. That was confirmed by a highway patrol lieutenant. TXDL office said she has to go to the office and pay $11 to have the restriction removed first, and doesn’t have to take the driving test. That seems crazy to me! In any case, she has an appointment to take the test tomorrow afternoon.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’ve been reading this thread in the same way I read some other threads that are interesting but not relevant ... until yesterday when my family posted a photo of the drivers ed manual!!! My DGD1 turns 16 in about a month and will take the online drivers ed class soon afterwards. After that, she can either sign up at a driving school (assuming those are open by then) or use the parent taught option. Like everything else these days, "there’s an app for that" which apparently tracks the driving hours. Wonder if it also tracks the routes? Anyway, fun times....

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Update to post #7....apparently both the officers and DL lady were wrong. And apparently DD did not finish the app course. We drove to a town 35 minutes away only to find out she had the wrong certificate because she *probably* didn't complete the course. This week, she is either completing the course on the app or signing up for the shorter and easier $25 adult driver education and trying again next week. Sigh.

Another update (my apologies to PP for highjacking this thread): DD finally got her license! After 5 long years, she has finally finished what she started! Instead of finishing the teen driving course, she just signed up for the adult driving course. And yes, she did have to parallel park. Her car is a 2009 CRV, so I bought a solar powered wireless backup camera to help her. Good move, because they park between poles that you can't really see, so much different than parking between cars that you can see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast