Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I want to love IKEA! It was sad when I walked through and discovered it just wasn’t “me” anymore. I’ll go back for meatballs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I find that I only buy food when I shop there. We love the raspberry cookies and the candy. I generally stop in once every few months to stock up.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It looks navy to me. Or at least a neutral. It does well with stains but it has some texture and flecks of other colors so that helps too.
    I’ve never sat on an IKEA couch that I’ve really liked. On our last ikea trip, we decided it was our last ikea trip because it doesn’t fit our needs anymore so I’m biased!

This one, in navy? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-s...ray-s69011416/
    I intended to buy that one, but the navy was SO DARK in the showroom that it almost seemed black. We had just come from a slate-colored navy MANSTAD, so it felt very dark to us. We ended up with the Orrsta light gray because it coordinated with our new quartzite countertops that cost 10X the sofa, lol. It's not a 17 year sofa, but our family uses it and I don't cringe. The covers are different price points, so the navy was also $150 more than the gray. If IKEA is open, and they're requiring masks, I would feel safe going in to sit on a sofa early one morning, very quickly. It comes packaged to be assembled at home (not hard) so it'll fit in a van fine. I think we may have had some or all kids in my car when we purchased it.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Talk me out of buying a couch?

Navy is a neutral, IMO. It’s easily accessorized and can go in many directions. Says the person who own a blue couch.
    I would be reluctant to buy an IKEA couch as your main couch though. Check out the sectional posted on the sectional wedge thread. I think it will be a better long term investment.

I am really leaning towards navy as well because it is the best of both worlds. I have friends who have Ikea couches and are happy with them, but they have them in their extra spaces like playrooms, game rooms or formal living spaces that get less use than the main seating area of the house. I too would look at $1200 or so couch because based on my experience mine has lasted 14+ years and I don’t know if the $500 Ikea couch I could’ve bought in 2006 would’ve lasted this long.

ETA: FWIW I have had a fair amount of furniture from Ikea (Trofast storage units that we recently donated, a China cabinet that our realtor had no idea was from Ikea, my at home desk set up is from Ikea, plenty of sheets, rugs, duvet covers, kids toys, shopping bags, lights, and light bulbs.....their light bulbs), but I am very hesitant about buying a couch, mattress from them. I have been semi hesitant about their kitchens as well, but as more manufacturers switch to non 100% wood cabinets and I know more people who install Ikea kitchens in their own homes I am becoming less hesitant about it and it has a 25 year warranty. However a couch I figure it is best to spend a bit more and get what I really want for a little more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-19-2020 at 12:50 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

So I just said on the other thread I wouldn't buy upholstered furniture used, but I just wanted to chime in that I just searched craigslist, and there are a few decent looking sectionals in your area, bisous, if shelling out the money for a new one is too daunting. I personally would feel more comfortable picking something up from someone at their house (with everyone masked, furniture in the driveway ready to load) than wandering ikea right now, but I've also never bought something from a stranger that couldn't be wiped down, so this might be an area where I'd still buy new were I in your shoes.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll have to check the ads AustenFan!

I'm not opposed to buying used. My big thing is that it better be in FABULOUS condition and a steal of a price if its used but those deals are occasionally posted! Then it would be worth it. I don't want to pay HALF of a new couch for another old thing like mine that looks...used, lol.

BUT...Guys, I'm not sure I should be buying that couch though. DHs car just died. He bought it two years ago for four HUNDRED dollars, lol. Almost any repair cost will be more than that. Heck my tires cost more than that! For the past two years it has gotten him to the train station and back every day very reliably. He is working from home at least through December so we think we can avoid buying another car. My own is 13 years old with 150,000 miles on it. While we actually have the funds to buy a new-ish car, I think we might just try to sit on our funds, but needing to potentially buy a car makes me question the couch thing. This is why our couch is 17yos!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This is where you’ve been good about saving and I would just say “but now.” In our area, moving happens about now and people who are upwardly mobile are selling off nice brands of belongings because of relocating. We see so much better furniture and accessories in June/July than the rest of the year.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your car only has 130k miles, it should last quite a bit longer. I just drove my 2008 Edge to 254k. My van before that had 273k. If you can hold off on the vehicle purchase. I would only buy a used sofa if I could deep clean it before bringing it in the house (but worried about Covid but other things on a couch).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Your car only has 130k miles, it should last quite a bit longer. I just drove my 2008 Edge to 254k. My van before that had 273k. If you can hold off on the vehicle purchase. I would only buy a used sofa if I could deep clean it before bringing it in the house (but worried about Covid but other things on a couch).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I agree if you don’t need a new car now then don’t buy one now. I don’t know if I would buy a used couch unless I knew the owner even without this pandemic going on (and I don’t classify myself as a germaphobe). That seems more risky than going to a furniture store and sitting on a couch.

My Honda Pilot has 210k miles on it and no sign of slowing down.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just decided on a sectional. It's super comfortable and all of us agreed on it, which is a miracle with 2 opinionated teens. So happy our holey couch of 17 years will be gone! https://www.macys.com/shop/product/w...cys?ID=9792886

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5